Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

TrojanUSC

Here's an image from the construction of Fantasyland... the 20k Lagoon is on the left. You can see that it abuts the utilidor structure, which wraps around it. The old mens/womens locker rooms are immediately on the other side of the wall that it touches.

Magic_Kingdom_Utilidor_construction.jpg

Disone

Here's an outline of the utilidor overlaid on top of the park, I assume it's relatively accurate. 7DMT being in roughly the same position as the 20k lagoon. Though 7DMT's bottom left most corner seems to jut out slightly farther than the lagoon. The utilidor did not go underneath the lagoon. The edge seems to be just underneath the original Dumbo ride.

tumblr_ojwwjfbSg71rasnq9o1_1280.jpg

And a side by side comparison of these two areas without the overlay-

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-10%20at%204.11.51%20PM.png
It's a little further out than Dumbo was. The South and West shores of the Lagoon we're pretty much the edge of the utilidor. But no part of the utilidor was under the submarine Lagoon.

Last edited:

Disone

It's a little further out than Dumbo was. The South and West shores of the Lagoon we're pretty much the edge of the utilidor. But part of the utilidor was under the submarine Lagoon.
Sorry. Just reread this. Should have read no part of the utilidor was under the lagoon.

Now back to monorails. Just about every cast member I've talked to has wondered why they didn't wrap the entire monorail. One even pointed out they wrapped the entire bus!

montyz81

I know I am bumping an old thread, but I was just curious if there was any talk of new Monorails coming to town?

Last edited by a moderator:

Disstevefan1

If WDW was moving any slower they would be going in reverse. As for the monorails as we know they are “refurbishing” the existing ones, so that’s gotta mean they are going to suck more years out of the existing ones.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If WDW was moving any slower they would be going in reverse. As for the monorails as we know they are “refurbishing” the existing ones, so that’s gotta mean they are going to suck more years out of the existing ones.
Yep the work on the current trains suggests there are no plans for replacement. Eve with the refurbs, the current fleet is looking very rough on the inside.

Brad Bishop

Buying monorails cost more money they refurbs. Even running tired, old monorails around the track isn't going to change ticket sales.

They're "on the right path".

Back when I used to go (2015 I think was my last visit - used to have an annual pass before that and went several times a year) I learned, in those last years, not to trust the monorail and we just wouldn't take it because of all of the breakdowns.

I think that their unwillingness to invest in new trains really suggests that they're just letting the monorails ride until the end (until they're unfeasible). They'll put new coats of paint on them but all of this "replace the monorail trains" was long before COVID so that's no excuse - they really should have done it before the 50th (well before).

I've said this before, quite possibly earlier in this thread, but I think they're going to run them until they can't and that'll be it. They'll just use extra ferries and busses to get people to the MK and the beams will be left in place to mold and rot until they become a danger (literally falling apart which will vary depending on which beam we're talking about).

They already have a history of this with the PeopleMover in Disneyland.. It's only be 25+ years... Yeah.. They'll just leave it up because it'd cost money to tear it down and it won't affect gate receipts.

"What about the monorail hotels???"
- they'll board up the entrances at the Contemporary / put a traffic cone in front of the escalators
- the rest of the hotels will remain the same (just no monorail; traffic cones or just locked doors depending on the hotel)
- they'll charge more
- you'll pay it and make excuses for them ("Well.. the trains were getting pretty old... 50 years was a pretty good life for that last set..."..."it would have been really costly for them to replace them... Plus.. That's old 1950s technology which never took off..." - that's where it'll be)

To be clear: I've always loved the Monorail and don't want it to go. I just think it's pretty clear that is where this is heading.

Disstevefan1

I've said this before, quite possibly earlier in this thread, but I think they're going to run them until they can't and that'll be it. They'll just use extra ferries and busses to get people to the MK and the beams will be left in place to mold and rot until they become a danger (literally falling apart which will vary depending on which beam we're talking about).

They already have a history of this with the PeopleMover in Disneyland.. It's only be 25+ years... Yeah.. They'll just leave it up because it'd cost money to tear it down and it won't affect gate receipts.
As for the Rocket Rods at DLR, this is a different case in my mind, The Rocket Rods was a mistake that also damaged the people mover track; apparently so damaged that just cut their losses and walked away.

As for the WDW monorails, I truly hope you are wrong! The thought of the beams turning to mold and rot is a terrible one!

If WDW lets the monorails become so broken to a point where a guest gets killed, (should) also kill the monorail at WDW.

I think (hope) WDW is just putting off replacing the monorails as long as possible, but will eventually replace them. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Only time will tell...

Andrew25

It'll be done in "phases"

Phase 1 - Resort line will be resort guests only, express will require an annual pass or $8.99/per person/per trip "Monorail Experience Ticket" - Epcot line closes "for a re-imagined Bus activation"
Phase 2 - Express line shuts down, resort guests only *guests who paid the full nightly rate only
Phase 3 - Monorail shuts down

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom