Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d say it needs a 10 minute boat ride, indoor coaster and then a Peter Pan style ride at Pixar Pier. Up or Coco would do. Attractions with trackless vehicles seem to to let me down.
Has anyone measured out if the Frozen Ever After (to be used with a different theme) sized show building could fit in DCA? Because unless Disneyland Forward happens I'm honestly not sure if it would fit. Because I think it was measured at one point on here that Mystic Manor could fit over where Sky School is now.

mickEblu

Has anyone measured out if the Frozen Ever After (to be used with a different theme) sized show building could fit in DCA? Because unless Disneyland Forward happens I'm honestly not sure if it would fit. Because I think it was measured at one point on here that Mystic Manor could fit over where Sky School is now.

One option outside of Disneyland Forward is the Hollywood Backlot / Eastern Gateway expansion area. I’d rather have a Fantasy Springs kind of land and not a single IP Arendelle but I don’t think that would fit there unless maybe they got rid of the Hyperion too.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One option outside of Disneyland Forward is the Hollywood Backlot / Eastern Gateway expansion area. I’d rather have a Fantasy Springs kind of land and not a single IP Arendelle but I don’t think that would fit there unless maybe they got rid of the Hyperion too.
Possible, I kind of gave up on that expansion area once the Gateway was cancelled and then announced Disneyland Forward.

mickEblu

Possible, I kind of gave up on that expansion area once the Gateway was cancelled and then announced Disneyland Forward.

Reminds me, that Monsters Inc doors coaster would have been really cool. They even had test balloons back there at one point. What a buzz kill. Monstropolis would be a much better transition from Hollywoodland too. Although that might be a moot point. A Hollywoodland would probably cease to exist without the backlot or TOT. BVS would probably be expanded and Avengers Campus would probably expand into the Animation building

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Reminds me, that Monsters Inc doors coaster would have been really cool. They even had test balloons back there at one point. What a buzz kill. Monstropolis would be a much better transition from Hollywoodland too. Although that might be a moot point. A Hollywoodland would probably cease to exist without the backlot or TOT. BVS would probably be expanded and Avengers Campus would probably expand into the Animation building
I was never sold on the Monstropolis theme, the door coaster idea seemed cool, but the overall area just seemed like a bust to me.

mickEblu

I was never sold on the Monstropolis theme, the door coaster idea seemed cool, but the overall area just seemed like a bust to me.

It would just be a small land to house the ride. Think a little bit smaller Critter Country to Splash Mountain. I wanted the ride. I don’t care so much for Monstropolis.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would just be a small land to house the ride. Think a little bit smaller Critter Country to Splash Mountain
No I got it, it was just never a world I wanted to explore beyond the single ride we got. So didn't think we needed even a mini land. But that is just my opinion, I know a lot of people were for it when the rumors were flying.

mickEblu

No I got it, it was just never a world I wanted to explore beyond the single ride we got. So didn't think we needed even a mini land. But that is just my opinion, I know a lot of people were for it when the rumors were flying.

Well if it was going to come, better to be surrounded by a little mini land than an ugly generic backlot.

DrAlice

I’d say it needs a 10 minute boat ride, indoor coaster and then a Peter Pan style ride at Pixar Pier. Up or Coco would do. Attractions with trackless vehicles seem to to let me down.
Definitely agree that there needs to be a 10 minute boat ride and another dark ride (or 2 or 3).

For indoor coaster: I always thought that Goofy's Sky school could be plussed by making it an indoor coaster. Isn't that essentially what Space Mountain is? (A mad mouse in the dark?) It would keep the roller coaster noise down for the Grand Ca guests too. :)

DrAlice

goofys sky school should be gone imo. its a cheap wild mouse that would fit better in a six flags. Take it out and put in a coco darkride
I hear you. However it serves the purpose of being a decent "entry level" coaster for kids. My daughter loved it before she could ride the Incredicoaster. The problem is really in the theming. Adding wooden cutouts of Goofy doesn't make up for seeing all the county fair-like coaster supports.

So, I guess what I'm saying is "Why not both?". :)

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Will Disney ever build another 10-minute boat ride? Kind of seems like the suits only greenlight flashy attractions that can fulfill certain marketing objectives, and boat rides are just too quaint. They also don't lend themselves well to the "Recruits! Come live out YOUR OWN Star Wars/Marvel/whatever interactive adventure!" kick Imagineering has been on.

I agree DCA desperately needs a boat ride.

smooch

There are probably 5 Tron fans that exist. Its 2 mediocre movies that performed just OK.

I never see people begging for Tron anything. Someone at Disney just has a soft spot for it for some odd reason.
I enjoyed the TRON movies, the first I liked better than the second. The soundtrack by Daft Punk is insanely good as they're one of my favorite artists of all time and really fit the aesthetic / mood of the movies. I wish they made better movies though I agree they could have been much better. I think visual wise they did a great job taking the concept of original TRON and modernizing it, if anything it was fun to see in theaters to eat popcorn and gawk at the world design. I enjoyed the original despite being born in 99 and it being past it's prime because I loved the TRON themed room / items in VMK and it made me wanna watch the movie.

I do believe Disney could make one more TRON movie and have it perform relatively well if they improve the writing / story compared to the first 2 movies but Daft Punk not making the soundtrack would honestly be a gamble to me since they split up. Especially with the TRON coaster coming to WDW I think it could reignite some love for the reboots since it'll be fresh in some people's minds. That said I do not believe Disney would make another as they are focusing on so many more things especially Marvel and Star Wars related for Disney+ as those two are clearly their cash cows and guarantee profits from D+ subscriptions or ticket sales for the big movie releases like Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, etc.

smooch

Because I think it was measured at one point on here that Mystic Manor could fit over where Sky School is now.
Is that true? That sounds shocking to me but I don't have a physical idea of the size of MM as I have never been, but I figured it took up much more space than that small coaster GSS. If that is true I think they definitely should remove GSS and put something similar in there, a Coco dark ride as others have mentioned, if they aren't going to extend backstage to make a Coco boat dark ride. An Encanto version of MM would be cool as the theme of a magic house is loosely related and could work I guess, not sure how it fits into DCA but that doesn't stop them shoehorning any IP they want into DCA just because.

Phroobar

I enjoyed the TRON movies, the first I liked better than the second. The soundtrack by Daft Punk is insanely good as they're one of my favorite artists of all time and really fit the aesthetic / mood of the movies. I wish they made better movies though I agree they could have been much better. I think visual wise they did a great job taking the concept of original TRON and modernizing it, if anything it was fun to see in theaters to eat popcorn and gawk at the world design. I enjoyed the original despite being born in 99 and it being past it's prime because I loved the TRON themed room / items in VMK and it made me wanna watch the movie.

I do believe Disney could make one more TRON movie and have it perform relatively well if they improve the writing / story compared to the first 2 movies but Daft Punk not making the soundtrack would honestly be a gamble to me since they split up. Especially with the TRON coaster coming to WDW I think it could reignite some love for the reboots since it'll be fresh in some people's minds. That said I do not believe Disney would make another as they are focusing on so many more things especially Marvel and Star Wars related for Disney+ as those two are clearly their cash cows and guarantee profits from D+ subscriptions or ticket sales for the big movie releases like Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, etc.
As long as they don't make a third movie to be dark and depressing like the second. We need happier fun movies.

Phroobar

Is that true? That sounds shocking to me but I don't have a physical idea of the size of MM as I have never been, but I figured it took up much more space than that small coaster GSS. If that is true I think they definitely should remove GSS and put something similar in there, a Coco dark ride as others have mentioned, if they aren't going to extend backstage to make a Coco boat dark ride. An Encanto version of MM would be cool as the theme of a magic house is loosely related and could work I guess, not sure how it fits into DCA but that doesn't stop them shoehorning any IP they want into DCA just because.
I think they should just enclose GSS and theme it to a Coco celebration. It could be DCA's mini Space Mountain. The Nemo ride at Walt Disney Studios in Paris is just an enclosed GSS with spinning cars. Kind of like Primeval Whirl.

Ismael Flores

Its needs Mystic Manor, with a different theme.

Adding Inside out emotional spinner in the western Helix was the dumbest mistake they did in Pixar Pier. Not only did they add it but then cut the budget and left concrete slabs where green Platings were meant to be.
I would have preferred the original plan to build a multi level flicks ride. originally they were going to have an Alice in wonderland style track where Heimlich would go above ground with the track going partially in and out of the helix.

with that said i think the ideal thing would have been to build a themed structure that would have taken a good portion of the helix. This would have been an entrance to a dark ride. The queue would wind thru the shop next to it (shop moved and replace the midway games) and then return to the building to load and unload. The tracks would then go behind the coaster into a show building.

Good planning and some re-arranging i think would have made that possible. They have the original huge parade building that could have been reconfigured and turned into a ride building. I still think that something like this using the Mystic manor system and themed to Coco or at this point Encanto would really work.
DCA is really in need of more indoor attractions, the park is so unbalanced and lacking.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Adding Inside out emotional spinner in the western Helix was the dumbest mistake they did in Pixar Pier. Not only did they add it but then cut the budget and left concrete slabs where green Platings were meant to be.
I would have preferred the original plan to build a multi level flicks ride. originally they were going to have an Alice in wonderland style track where Heimlich would go above ground with the track going partially in and out of the helix.

with that said i think the ideal thing would have been to build a themed structure that would have taken a good portion of the helix. This would have been an entrance to a dark ride. The queue would wind thru the shop next to it (shop moved and replace the midway games) and then return to the building to load and unload. The tracks would then go behind the coaster into a show building.

Good planning and some re-arranging i think would have made that possible. They have the original huge parade building that could have been reconfigured and turned into a ride building. I still think that something like this using the Mystic manor system and themed to Coco or at this point Encanto would really work.
DCA is really in need of more indoor attractions, the park is so unbalanced and lacking.
Well luckily Inside Out wasn't that huge of a budget and it can be easily scraped if they ever needed the space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom