Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

pdude81

If it’s coded right, it would try to plan what you ask for and if not plan what it can and ask you what you want in its place for things it can’t (different time or different attraction). With data and AI Disney should have ways to find solutions to this. Being as big of a company as they are and likely as much data as they collect, working some in the AIML world, there are scenarios they can figure out without releasing a disaster to the public.

yeah right whatever GIF

JTH781

I don't like the changes Disney has made starting June 8th and will purchase Genie + before hand to avoid having to worry about staying up till midnight or having purchasing issues day of.

Ldno

honestly though I feel that I wouldn’t worry about Genie + selling out right at midnight, I mean it’s not as small as making a a Be our Guest reservation and Cinderella’s Royal Table or something.

mikejs78

Premium Member
honestly though I feel that I wouldn’t worry about Genie + selling out right at midnight, I mean it’s not as small as making a a Be our Guest reservation and Cinderella’s Royal Table or something.
We don't know how much they are going to be limiting it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I don't know why anyone would want a return to the days of running around like headless chickens!
Unrelated to any bigger points about the various glories of the new ride reservation system versus old, but there are more occasions of an over 35 version of me jogging to an attraction to get a paper FP accompanied by a CM popping up and shouting, "no running" than I can recall. Mostly, this happened when entering EPCOT through the international gateway as I made my way towards Soarin'.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Here's a plan to reduce wait times for everything but Kilimanjaro Safaris. No fastpass. No genie plus. No ILL. Whenever anyone enters a Disney theme park, regardless of where on the globe, they get a fastpass for Kilimanjaro Safaris. This would, of course, make the wait for KS a bit longer, but would greatly reduce the wait of all other rides. Picture, if you will, the crowds streaming out of Paris Disneyland trying to catch a flight to Orlando to make their KS time. So that groups with multiple layovers or that have to wait on a resort bus at Disney Springs have a chance, they can spread the fastpass reservation window over two or three days. The first window would open 5 minutes in the future. I thought about using times in the past, but that might lead to some complaints. However, it would encourage time machine innovation. If anyone could do it, Disney fans could!

ChrisM

It's almost as if they should just go to the $ILL for every ride. Scrap Genie+ in its entirety.

Regular lines would move and if you want to skip a line you have that option, for a fee.

I just don't see how they can make Genie+ work for the masses without charging more for it, like $50.

At that point, I'd rather pay for 2-3 rides and not need to reserve a time for HM or POTC. I think I'd come out ahead, Disney math speaking.

It's such an obvious solution that it makes me chuckle that it gets shot down immediately every time it's brought up as a possibility.

"No way! It would never work! People would be outraged! Disney brass won't even consider it!"

Disney brass has already spit the bit multiple times here. People are already outraged. And all paths probably end up at this solution anyway.

It's the most transparent, honest, and likely effective option.

CatesMom

To reinforce this very important point, I’m the lead on a 14 person family vacation this summer and not only do they not know organizational things, they sometimes don’t believe me initially. I really had to work to convince them park reservations were actually a thing. I haven’t even broached genie plus and ILL yet.
LOL. Same.

WDW Pro

It's going to take a while to flush out pent up demand. Also, not that Disney isn't always a popular thing to do, right now it seems to be the trendy thing to do. I do think they're in for a rude awakening (which they desperately need).

It sort of depends on if there are more restrictions on travel. If not, demand could take two years to stabilize. If restrictions return, Disney would be stuck trying to convince domestic guests to jump through all these hoops. It's a harder ask in the current climate.

MickeyLuv'r

But then wouldn't they have a physical line for the people trying to book their LL, a line for people using their LL, and a line for Standby? With how crowded the parks are, I'm not sure that standing in line for a chance to stand in a shorter line later would appeal to many guests.
Funny thing is, people actually did this, and STILL do this.

Every day people arrive at the park an hour before the park opens.

In the early days of FP+, the kiosk lines got LONG. It was crazy. In the middle of the day, people waited 30+minutes for a PM Fastpass, but the return time would be for like 11pm. Come 11pm, the attraction wait would be 10minutes or less.

Not only that, but often the middle of the day standby for the same attraction was only 30minutes.

The catch is that the people waiting in the kiosk line didn't know what FP they were going to be offered. They probably thought they would be offered a better FP with an early return time.

At the time this happened, booking FP by phone wasn't available in the early days of FP. (Except people staying CL could book FP by text.)

Jeff4272

Off topic a little bit, but read this story today and i think its a true indication of how most people feel........With inflation the way it is, WDW could be in for a rude awakening shortly (taking away perks and adding costs)

Chip Chipperson

Off topic a little bit, but read this story today and i think its a true indication of how most people feel........With inflation the way it is, WDW could be in for a rude awakening shortly (taking away perks and adding costs)

Perhaps. However, I've noticed a trend with Fox News/Fox Business lately where they seem to have a sudden habit of negative articles about Disney (including one recently about their Pride merchandise being "targeted" for kids as if selling clothes in that line kids' sizes is noteworthy at all - almost as if something in the news recently sparked a desire/directive to attack the company for some reason). https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/disney-lgbtq-clothing-line-kids

That's not to say that rising prices and reduced offerings won't turn some people off of a visit, but the line at the beginning about "leaving many visitors wondering if a Disney vacation is now only reserved for the rich," is a bit of an overreaction. How many rich people are going to stay at a Value-level resort like All-Stars or Pop? There will always be a place at WDW for those who aren't rich, even if wealthier guests enjoy some perks that others don't get and/or can't afford. It's also not a new thing - DVC Moonlight Magic, the DVC Member Lounge, VIPassholder events, Halloween/Christmas parties, After Hours events, Club Level being able to book additional FP+ selections at 90 days if they pay for the option to book 3 extra selections per day, Deluxe resorts having nicer accommodations/amenities/location, different tiers for the Dining Plan, expensive Signature Dining vs. Quick Service, DVC villas having full kitchens and a washer/dryer, etc. have all existed for a while (and some of those don't exist at all at the moment).

Jeff4272

Perhaps. However, I've noticed a trend with Fox News/Fox Business lately where they seem to have a sudden habit of negative articles about Disney (including one recently about their Pride merchandise being "targeted" for kids as if selling clothes in that line kids' sizes is noteworthy at all - almost as if something in the news recently sparked a desire/directive to attack the company for some reason). https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/disney-lgbtq-clothing-line-kids

That's not to say that rising prices and reduced offerings won't turn some people off of a visit, but the line at the beginning about "leaving many visitors wondering if a Disney vacation is now only reserved for the rich," is a bit of an overreaction. How many rich people are going to stay at a Value-level resort like All-Stars or Pop? There will always be a place at WDW for those who aren't rich, even if wealthier guests enjoy some perks that others don't get and/or can't afford. It's also not a new thing - DVC Moonlight Magic, the DVC Member Lounge, VIPassholder events, Halloween/Christmas parties, After Hours events, Club Level being able to book additional FP+ selections at 90 days if they pay for the option to book 3 extra selections per day, Deluxe resorts having nicer accommodations/amenities/location, different tiers for the Dining Plan, expensive Signature Dining vs. Quick Service, DVC villas having full kitchens and a washer/dryer, etc. have all existed for a while (and some of those don't exist at all at the moment).
Yes......But just like what rising gas prices do to Americans, these price changes affect lower income on a higher percentage basis........People that can afford the deluxe rooms probably never even used Magical Express..........for someone who makes $60k per year gas bill to go up by $400 a month is way more impactful than someone who makes $150k a year but yet they both have to pay the same increase

For a lower income family that stay in a value resort, adding round trip transportation that used to be free, parking fees that used to be free, increase in ticket prices that affects them at a much larger percentage vs someone who makes twice as much and stays in a deluxe

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom