Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jrb1979

Rolling back to the old product isn't going to happen. More substantial changes will come next year but they are still very much figuring out what that looks like. Ideally, it would give resort guests a much bigger advantage.
I hope giving resort guests a bigger advantage is allowing booking LL before park open and everyone else once park opens. I don't want to back to the days of advanced booking.

mmascari

Rolling back to the old product isn't going to happen. More substantial changes will come next year but they are still very much figuring out what that looks like. Ideally, it would give resort guests a much bigger advantage.
If they could fix the time selection part to not change mid transaction. Along with allowing replacement of an existing LL without having to remove the current one first, do it as a single atomic transaction.

Those two things, along with the capacity limit being done would go a HUGE way to making it better.

I was never a fan of the "plan it out two months in advance", so not having that isn't a big deal. I now detest the park pass requirement and hopping restriction just as much.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I hope giving resort guests a bigger advantage is allowing booking LL before park open and everyone else once park opens. I don't want to back to the days of advanced booking.

If they could fix the time selection part to not change mid transaction. Along with allowing replacement of an existing LL without having to remove the current one first, do it as a single atomic transaction.

Those two things, along with the capacity limit being done would go a HUGE way to making it better.

I was never a fan of the "plan it out two months in advance", so not having that isn't a big deal. I now detest the park pass requirement and hopping restriction just as much.

See I'd much rather plan things in advance than have to figure out every day at 7:00 a.m. what I'm doing and hope that I get what I want. The other thing about the 60-day mark is it spread demand out over a number of days because not everyone was booking on the same day.

Ideally I'd still like to plan ahead but maybe not so far in advance. Two weeks seems reasonable given European vacations. The non-resort guest could just do day of.

I know this disagreement about that, so If they keep it today off but give resort guests an advantage, I'd be fine with that too. The one thing I would like is the ability to select a time that I want an LL for as long as it's available. It stinks that you have to be glued to your phone to wait for a return time if it's not up to that point yet. For example, we often go back to the hotel for a midday break. I would love to schedule an LL for the evening for certain attractions, but if they're still in the mid after late afternoon return times, I have to keep checking my phone till they get to the time that I want. Let me pick a time for each LL.

Jeff4272

DHS is the big problem with Genie+. We experienced a "9" day at DHS (12/18) in December FWIW and DHS was a 7 on 5/16/22. Both trips were flawless with Genie+.

We didn't get to DHS until 1 pm on Monday so not following.
No chance you had a 9 day and it was flawless........No offense, but it's just not possible

pdude81

I think AP holders are part of the problem.
I have to disagree here, especially considering that AP holders were eating up the free FP+ for every entry before. Once you get to paying customers for G+, AP holders are much more valuable than they used to be. Also a lot of APs were cancelled or lapsed during Covid and people didn't get a chance to upgrade tickets during the limited AP sales window, so the numbers can't be nearly as high.

Now I'm not saying AP should get priority on G+ purchases. I am a member of that group but I think they should be in the same bucket as off site guests paying for tickets by default.

Disney Glimpses

Absolutely.
AP holders with a resort ressie should be given the same priority imo
The biggest problem with Genie+ is people purchasing the service and finding no inventory.

My idea to solve this:

-Genie+ is free to everyone to book one attraction at a time (as long as they've entered the park).
-APs/Resort guests can pay $49 to book 2-3 ahead of time (maybe 15 days).

No 7am rat race, you get your attractions and then there's no risk of people paying and finding nothing. And Disney makes their money.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I have to disagree here, especially considering that AP holders were eating up the free FP+ for every entry before. Once you get to paying customers for G+, AP holders are much more valuable than they used to be. Also a lot of APs were cancelled or lapsed during Covid and people didn't get a chance to upgrade tickets during the limited AP sales window, so the numbers can't be nearly as high.

Now I'm not saying AP should get priority on G+ purchases. I am a member of that group but I think they should be in the same bucket as off site guests paying for tickets by default.
I can only go by my personal experience, but As a APer in the FastPass + days all the good FastPasses were already taken by the 60 and 30 day out folks. It was rare I could get the a Fast Pass I wanted. All that was left was fastpasses for attractions that did not need a Fast Pass; I would walk up to the attraction at my fast pass time and see a 10 minute stand by wait time and laugh.

Disney Glimpses

How so? If I’m a local with an AP and decide tomorrow I want to go but it’s full from park reservations, I can’t.

I’m not local btw, just saying
Here is June for both Resort guests and day tickets:
1653062707301.png

Here is June for every single AP level, every single park (100% availability):
1653062748054.png

And availability for the rest of May is more favorable to APs as well.

pdude81

I think that would be fine considering they're the least likely to use the service. But they have to be cautious to land themselves back in this mess.

One idea I had was to offer the service 30 days ahead of time with advance booking for $20-30 to resort guests (or even APs) and then have the residual inventory be free to everyone else for use on the day of.

Kind of like the old FP+ with a fee (but only if you want to book in advance).

This would remove the issue of people paying for the service and finding nothing in inventory.
I think if they are worried about refunds, it's dangerous to allow people to purchase a month in advance. Are you saying they would allow for the booking of passes in advance also or just the booking of the service? I think operationally it would be tough for them to allow people to book the actual rides ahead of time unless they severely limited the number of these sold.

I don't really have armchair solution here... Perhaps they can do better by simply limiting purchases, then finding a way to add some additional value to it (snack credit, reserved fireworks spots as G+ options) and raising the price. At $15 people may add this every day, but if it were $30 I think you pick your spots. It just can't be the same exact thing for double the price.

Disney Glimpses

I think if they are worried about refunds, it's dangerous to allow people to purchase a month in advance. Are you saying they would allow for the booking of passes in advance also or just the booking of the service? I think operationally it would be tough for them to allow people to book the actual rides ahead of time unless they severely limited the number of these sold.

I don't really have armchair solution here... Perhaps they can do better by simply limiting purchases, then finding a way to add some additional value to it (snack credit, reserved fireworks spots as G+ options) and raising the price. At $15 people may add this every day, but if it were $30 I think you pick your spots. It just can't be the same exact thing for double the price.
You raise a good point. I think there's no scenario that they can do this with a fee without inventory limits unless they raise it to something crazy (or limit it based on class).

pdude81

I can only go by my personal experience, but As a APer in the FastPass + days all the good FastPasses were already taken by the 60 and 30 day out folks. It was rare I could get the a Fast Pass I wanted. All that was left was fastpasses for attractions that did not need a Fast Pass; I would walk up to the attraction at my fast pass time and see a 10 minute stand by wait time and laugh.
Sure if you just walked in and hadn't set anything up and just walked in. IIRC you could make 7 days worth of fastpasses for any 30 day period at the 30 day mark as an AP. It was kind of rolling inventory but there was usually some decent stuff available at 30. I was normally a resort guest so I was in the 60+ camp. I have messed around though in the past and tested making passes for other days just to see if it really worked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom