News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I would rephrase this slightly differently.

Just saying "taxpayers" implies that the RCID debt isn't already paid for by taxpayers. It falls into the trap of people pretending that Disney and RCID are the same thing, that RCID debts are Disney debts.

The debt being dumped from the RCID taxpayers onto the larger group of all county taxpayers is not the fault of RCID or Disney. It's the direct result of one government taxing authority being dissolved and absorbed into another. While they absorb the debts and assets, they are not gaining the taxing authority. The taxing authority of the dissolved entity is disappearing, it's dissolved.

That's much harder, clearly not as elegant a sentence and a freaking disaster to type out. We shouldn't have to write that. It's a sneaky trap.

Correct.

RCID's millage rate of 13.5741 won't become that of either Osceola or Orange County as Florida law caps what counties can charge. One reason special districts are created.

So Disney will find its overall tax liability decreased if RCID is dissolved next June. It will also find the level of services it received for that ~$150M in taxes it paid to RCID lessened when it now has to get those services from the county. And the counties can't charge WDW a higher millage than it charges other property owners. Thus, Orange County will be getting approximately 40 more square miles to provide services for WITHOUT a corresponding increase in tax collections as WDW is already paying taxes to the county. In essence, it just got a new city nearly the size of Ocala to provide water, waste, fire, emergency, roads, etc., for. It's going to have to raise property taxes. I doubt the county charter allows it to operate at a deficit. And that millage increase will go before voters.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As far as the debt goes, that was used to pay for past projects done by RCID so not only would local taxpayers have to pay for future public services within the current RCID boundary, they would be covering debt payments to pay back bonds used on those past projects.

They're not really services for Disney. They're public services provided within RCID. It just so happens that most of those are related to Disney as the largest land owner.

When someone drives down Buena Vista Dr, Osceola Pkwy, World Dr, they're not Disney. When water run off doesn't wash out those roads so someone can drive down them, they're not Disney. When someone's car catches fire and the fire fighters put it out, they're not Disney. When someone calls an ambulance, they're not Disney. They're someone in the public using a public service.

It's unfortunate that we need to spell that all out. But, there's clearly people that don't understand that. When we say to Disney, it feeds into their incorrect perspective. 🤷‍♂️

And given that local bond issues must be handled through the state Division of Bond Finance, adding to the current debt load may not be feasible. Or the interest rate charged, especially if this nonsense causes the rating services to lower Florida's bond ratings, will be higher.

I bet if Ash Williams was still Executive Director of the SBA, he'd have told DeSantis how reckless this legislation is, not just for RCID and the affected counties, but the state as a whole.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As far as the debt goes, that was used to pay for past projects done by RCID so not only would local taxpayers have to pay for future public services within the current RCID boundary, they would be covering debt payments to pay back bonds used on those past projects.

They're not really services for Disney. They're public services provided within RCID. It just so happens that most of those are related to Disney as the largest land owner.

When someone drives down Buena Vista Dr, Osceola Pkwy, World Dr, they're not Disney. When water run off doesn't wash out those roads so someone can drive down them, they're not Disney. When someone's car catches fire and the fire fighters put it out, they're not Disney. When someone calls an ambulance, they're not Disney. They're someone in the public using a public service.

It's unfortunate that we need to spell that all out. But, there's clearly people that don't understand that. When we say to Disney, it feeds into their incorrect perspective. 🤷‍♂️

And those roads aren't Disney property.

LAKid53

Premium Member
And it’s important to point out that this reaches outside of the district sometimes as well. If someone calls 911 from the Buena Vista Place Apartments or gets into an accident on reams Road or certain sections of I4, Reedy Creek emergency services will respond as the closest first responder. They aren’t Disney and they aren’t even Disney’s guests but they will benefit from these public services.

Nice to know if I get that townhouse on Reams.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So, you're saying RCID is a lower risk bond issuer than either Orange or Osceola county?

Wow, that's harsh. I can practically see them being called deadbeat counties.

Owning land in better run areas is worth more, news at 11.

RCID's bonds are rated from A to AA-.

Orange County bonds are rated from AA+ to AAA. The bonds with the AA+ rating are 50% shared state revenue.

The size and type of the bond issue affects the rating.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ha, I guess you missed my last 50 posts about this. This was totally caused by DeSantis.

That said, TWDC's punishment will be to dump the bond debt on to the taxpayers.

As for RCID, I never spoke against them.

All I said is that RCID is controlled TWDC (much like an employer, employee relationship).

To me, RCID, along with the Florida taxpayers are the victims here..

TWDC doesn't control those bonds. It will be the Board of Supervisors of RCID that will enact any punishment if the responsibility for retiring those bonds is assumed by the county taxpayers.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Bingo..:even if you work in a “business killing tax” rich state…as I do and was working on a DOT just today

(And the taxes aren’t really that high)

It depends on the road, at least in this state. Major state roads will be a combination of federal $ and state issued bonds. Local roads, like Buena Vista, Osceola Parkway, will be funded by municipal or county bonds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom