Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

solidyne

I just don't understand how someone can look at all the concept art and the whole construction site and come away with "just a splash pad". Unless of course they are being negative for the sake of being negative simply due to the name of the attraction, then the constant crying is pretty evident.
Been jilted too many times, I guess....

.....Still a paying customer!

kalel8145

Now we know how they are going to keep the water level topped off..
😬
Elizabeth Olsen Ugh GIF

Disstevefan1

I just don't understand how someone can look at all the concept art and the whole construction site and come away with "just a splash pad". Unless of course they are being negative for the sake of being negative simply due to the name of the attraction, then the constant crying is pretty evident.
I hope it turns out to be the absolute best attraction ever added to EPCOT. At this moment, I doubt it, but who knows.

I hope it’s at least a good place to escape some of the sun and heat as I check Genie + for an attraction I want to go on.

One thing I think we can all agree on… it’s better than nothing…

Epcot82Guy

I hope it turns out to be the absolute best attraction ever added to EPCOT. At this moment, I doubt it, but who knows.

I hope it’s at least a good place to escape some of the sun and heat as I check Genie + for an attraction I want to go on.

One thing I think we can all agree on… it’s better than nothing…

Maybe I'm missing the last point. This replaced a large building that could have held a lot of things. I'd argue a repurposed CC Northwest could have been much, much better.

If your point is comparing this to the neverending, empty "wall-ville" Epcot has become, then yes. But, I would argue flat concrete would be better than that.

Incomudro

Maybe I'm missing the last point. This replaced a large building that could have held a lot of things. I'd argue a repurposed CC Northwest could have been much, much better.

If your point is comparing this to the neverending, empty "wall-ville" Epcot has become, then yes. But, I would argue flat concrete would be better than that.
This is much better than some building that could have held nothing that people are really interested in seeing anymore.
I'm sorry, I know I keep reiterating that point - but it's over.

Epcot82Guy

This is much better than some building that could have held nothing that people are really interested in seeing anymore.

May I assume you think Guardians, Connections Cafe and Play! are objective failures, then? They are all replacing buildings that had low popularity or zero popularity (i.e. closed) attractions/eateries. CC-northwest was effectively an empty building that at one time held upwards of three attractions. I'm not saying what was there is better. I'm saying Moana does't seem to be this revolutionary use of the empty space. It could have easily held more (and likely a water-themed attraction on top). Let alone the weird 3/4 circle we have now since JoW is self-contained.

My argument is it's not that great a use of the space in the end - not that the empty CC-NW was somehow better. And, it may very well be creating significantly lower capacity use of that space than CC-NW's potential.

Rich Brownn

It's not a splash pad. It's a splash condo. /runs

Incomudro

May I assume you think Guardians, Connections Cafe and Play! are objective failures, then? They are all replacing buildings that had low popularity or zero popularity (i.e. closed) attractions/eateries. CC-northwest was effectively an empty building that at one time held upwards of three attractions. I'm not saying what was there is better. I'm saying Moana does't seem to be this revolutionary use of the empty space. It could have easily held more (and likely a water-themed attraction on top). Let alone the weird 3/4 circle we have now since JoW is self-contained.

My argument is it's not that great a use of the space in the end - not that the empty CC-NW was somehow better. And, it may very well be creating significantly lower capacity use of that space than CC-NW's potential.
I think that enough buildings were used and repurposed.
I'm very happy with the route they have chosen on the other side.

No Name

The old building could’ve held nothing that people are interested in seeing anymore, but the new building can hold things that people are interested in seeing?

I’m sure the Mickey meet and greet will be much more interesting in this new building. And I assume you think Creations and Connections are utter failures, as they’re still in some old building.

lazyboy97o

The old building could’ve held nothing that people are interested in seeing anymore, but the new building can hold things that people are interested in seeing?

I’m sure the Mickey meet and greet will be much more interesting in this new building. And I assume you think Creations and Connections are utter failures, as they’re still in some old building.
Welcome to the endless contradictions of defending Evolving Epcot. Remember when people insisted Journey of Water would be a series of walkways connecting to The Seas and The Land?

Movielover

Welcome to the endless contradictions of defending Evolving Epcot. Remember when people insisted Journey of Water would be a series of walkways connecting to The Seas and The Land?
Its almost as insufferable as the gatekeeping Epcot purists and their ever moving goalpost of pearl-clutching overaction to everything being done to revitalize a park that was stuck in the 90's.

kalel8145

Its almost as insufferable as the gatekeeping Epcot purists and their ever moving goalpost of pearl-clutching overaction to everything being done to revitalize a park that was stuck in the 90's.
Yeah they miss the mark on stuff, some of it big time. Yeah, not everyone is gonna like it, especially purists. And yes, lots of IP being put in. The future of the parks will in part be funded by merchandising this IP. This is what the public wants. To see their favorite Marvel characters, or latest cartoon, or latest whatever. They don't care what park its in. They don't care EPCOT is supposed to be about. Heck, its not even what Walt Disney wanted. Otherwise WDI could have packed it in in the 90s and said, everything stays as is. Walking through non changing parks doesn't sound appealing to me.

Movielover

Yeah they miss the mark on stuff, some of it big time. Yeah, not everyone is gonna like it, especially purists. And yes, lots of IP being put in. The future of the parks will in part be funded by merchandising this IP. This is what the public wants. To see their favorite Marvel characters, or latest cartoon, or latest whatever. They don't care what park its in. They don't care EPCOT is supposed to be about. Heck, its not even what Walt Disney wanted. Otherwise WDI could have packed it in in the 90s and said, everything stays as is. Walking through non changing parks doesn't sound appealing to me.
Here's my thoughts. My favorite park is DHS. I am a huge cinephile, went to film school to study film. I love everything to do with movies. I so wish that the original 1989 version of the park was still here. I never got to experience it and it seem like it was built just for me. A 3 hour walking and tram tour through a real working studio! Attractions tailored around sound design and filming! Tiny details referencing some of the greatest films ever made! The Great Movie Ride in its brand new pristine glory! What I would do to be able to go back and experience that. But I know that that version of the park could not exist today. First the studio concept failed. Hollywood just was not ready to leave Tinseltown yet. Secondly the whole experience was centered around the tour and how movies are made. Fantastic concept for 1989 when this info was hard to come by the general public, but as home video expanded, allowing for the creation of Special Features providing in-depth looks at the making of movies, and with the rapid spread of the internet which allowed this info to spread quicker than it could be updated it made the park start to feel stagnant and behind the times.

Hmm, a rapid spread of technology causing a theme park to become stale and outdated, sounds very familiar... ;)

I just think that we've moved beyond the original intentions of both DHS and Epcot Center and evolution is needed to stay relevant and fresh.

lazyboy97o

Ah yes, the old “theme doesn’t matter in a theme park” argument. The problem isn’t with change. If the public just wanted characters slapped wherever there are lots of cheaper venues and so much effort wouldn’t be put into wrapping the new stuff in the image of EPCOT Center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom