Are Disney food prices really over the top?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For sure. Food quality has gone downhill. I was there in February. Everywhere we used to love to eat, the food quality wasn't there (of course that didn't stop the price increases). When I spend $20 or $30 for breakfast and ask for scrambled eggs, I would expect them to be real scrabbled eggs. Not the eggs you get with your complimentary breakfast at a hotel (ie Embassy Suites - eggs that come from a box and have additives).
Where was that at? We had breakfast at the Steakhouse 71 in the Contemporary in March, and they weren't box eggs at all.

mp80237

Kona Cafe & O'hana were the ones I was shocked about. O'hana I had never been for breakfast, but I heard it was good. Kona Cafe we never had boxed eggs before when ordering scrambled. O'hana, I don't know what the fuss is about for breakfast or dinner. I wouldn't return for either (if we ever return to Disney). The other places with fake eggs were quick service. I had gotten a rental car for this trip. The only reason we went to Disney was that I had rented points 11 months prior and they were non-refundable. After reading so much that was going (Magic Express leaving, paying for fast pass, nickel and diming) on we decided to do activities that were not Disney in general (hence the rental car). After a few days of realizing quality had changed everywhere, I ended up canceling most reservations on property. I spent 1/4 of what we normally spend while in Orlando (that was awesome) by going elsewhere. If we do go back to Orlando, it would maybe be two days Disney and the rest doing other things (I fell in love with Aquatica). BTW, I did keep the Steakhouse 71 reservation and I did enjoy it. It just wasn't for breakfast

Last edited:

mp80237

Old Las Vegas where Golden Nugget is has those cheaper places to eat in the area , not the safest areas but better pricing.
I don't know where folks are eating in NYC, but in my experience, the food in NYC is cheaper and so much better tasting than anything we had on Disney property. Breakfast: bagels (I dream of NYC bagels), lunch Raclette sandwich or Katz's Reuben (yes it is $26 but it is so large you split between 2 people) and dinner at pretty much anywhere. There was this place with Bao buns that were amazing.

Lilofan

I don't know where folks are eating in NYC, but in my experience, the food in NYC is cheaper and so much better tasting than anything we had on Disney property. Breakfast: bagels (I dream of NYC bagels), lunch Raclette sandwich or Katz's Reuben (yes it is $26 but it is so large you split between 2 people) and dinner at pretty much anywhere. There was this place with Bao buns that were amazing.
Chinatown in NYC is real bargain and high quality too. Nine Dragons at Epcot tries but it is not even close.

correcaminos

Comparing it to local parks and zoos, I say no. I haven't thought they were outrageous for a while though comparatively. Food quality was decent for us but OMG the egg white scramble at Captain Cooks needs to go. We rarely do all 3 meals with Disney and this showed me why. Otherwise I say it's on par quality and cost to what I get at home for a similar situation. I realize that parks/zoos will always cost more than a regular place.

spock8113

Are Disney food prices really over the top?...........................​

Yes. Then look at the food in every Disney restaurant and you will find it's all the same only with different toppings/dressings/sauces etc.
I wonder why Alfredo's REALLY left EPCOT. Most of the EPCOT restaurants are run through their respective countries with employees from their countries with little -to-no Disney interference. I don't believe there is a Reedy Creek Food District! GAY!

Club Cooloholic

Old Las Vegas where Golden Nugget is has those cheaper places to eat in the area , not the safest areas but better pricing.
The Market Street Cafe at the Californian(which caters to Hawaiians going to Vegas) is FANTASTIC. Best deal in the city, The D has a good diner too. Drinks downtown are cheaper too. Some of the area is a bit grimy but safe overall in the Freemont area.
I enjoy hitting downtown as a break from the strip.
Mahmoud's Falafel in the village. You won't be disappointed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not watered down. Larryz got it right that the original and the current Hurricane served at Pat O'Brien's both include 4 shots of rum.

The current one they serve uses premixed jugs of passionfruit syrup, OJ, lime juice, and a lot of simple syrup. With grenadine added for color and which makes the current version bright red instead of the subtle orange it used to be. The original used equal parts passionfruit syrup (or possibly fassionola), lemon juice, and no additional sweeteners. And that's it. I actually like both versions, but prefer the dryer original. A much different cocktail. And despite what Pat O'Brien's claims nowadays, that three ingredient recipe is Louis Culligan's original recipe.

At least Pat O'Brien's doesn't dump some rum into watered down Hawaiian Punch and call it a day, like some bars do nowadays. 😂

Dunno man… in my younger years in new orleans and with the ordered mix i got afterwards was all Hawaiian punch red… and basically poured from huge vats in the bar. Zero bartending required :)

Can also confirm the color when it comes back … after coworkers drink too many of them :)

Lilofan

The kitchen sink ice cream dish at the Beach Club can feed a family of 4 people, around $32. Some brave souls who are not afraid of brain freeze try to tackle the dish by themselves.

IMDREW

Hi everyone, I dont usually find myself in this part of the forums but do have a question for anyone who knows.

I booked a reservation at be out guest restaurant for my whole family of 7. I went there years ago and really liked it and wanted to show them. But then I just saw something about it being prix fixe now for a whopping 60+ dollars? That can’t be right is it?

I remember it being an open menu because I only had a french onion soup back then. Any advice of info would be appreciated!

drizgirl

Hi everyone, I dont usually find myself in this part of the forums but do have a question for anyone who knows.

I booked a reservation at be out guest restaurant for my whole family of 7. I went there years ago and really liked it and wanted to show them. But then I just saw something about it being prix fixe now for a whopping 60+ dollars? That can’t be right is it?

I remember it being an open menu because I only had a french onion soup back then. Any advice of info would be appreciated!
It's turned into fixed price even back before the pandemic. Each person will be charged the full fixed price. And yes it's 60 something per person.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

BoG for lunch and dinner have the same offerings and its all fixed price since reopening. We've eaten there oh about 4 times since reopening and have enjoyed it each time. In our experience the onion soup and the cheese platter are the better choices... the salad is hit or miss and the lobster bisque had one waved over the top of it during preparation. If you;re a beef eater, I recommend the Filet.

Now the brucnh items arent on the online menu as they've just started that up from 10AM-noon, but its nothing spectacular just an omelet with brie and crab, or Mickey Waffles for the kiddos (you can also order that as an adult they just double the portion, but its not a good tradeoff for the steak)

drizgirl

BoG for lunch and dinner have the same offerings and its all fixed price since reopening. We've eaten there oh about 4 times since reopening and have enjoyed it each time. In our experience the onion soup and the cheese platter are the better choices... the salad is hit or miss and the lobster bisque had one waved over the top of it during preparation. If you;re a beef eater, I recommend the Filet.

Now the brucnh items arent on the online menu as they've just started that up from 10AM-noon, but its nothing spectacular just an omelet with brie and crab, or Mickey Waffles for the kiddos (you can also order that as an adult they just double the portion, but its not a good tradeoff for the steak)
Switch to fixed price at dinner happened before it ever closed for the pandemic. Breakfast and lunch was counter service pre-pandemic, so a far more reasonably priced means of seeing inside. That of course never came back when it reopened.

UNCgolf

I find Disney's F&B pricing to be wildly inconsistent. Be Our Guest for $62 is borderline offensive. Satuli Canteen chicken bowl for $13 is extremely fair. I find very little value in most TS dining at WDW these days.

I was going to say something similar. Most of Disney's table service restaurants are wildly overpriced -- not necessarily if you just look at the price on the menu and compare it to other restaurants, but when you consider that price combined with the quality of food. They're generally charging the price you'd expect at a higher end restaurant but serving chain restaurant quality food.

The last time I ate at California Grill it was fine, but it wasn't worth what they were charging. It was better than chain quality, but I can eat much better meals for a similar price in other locations. Flying Fish was the last meal I had at a Disney TS that actually felt like it was worth what they were charging.

Some of the counter service locations are not bad value, though.

Hockey89

I find Disney's F&B pricing to be wildly inconsistent. Be Our Guest for $62 is borderline offensive. Satuli Canteen chicken bowl for $13 is extremely fair. I find very little value in most TS dining at WDW these days.
It's not borderline. It's criminal.... The food sucks at least the time I went. The eggs were a joke and cold. A 10 year old can cook better eggs.

el_super

I was going to say something similar. Most of Disney's table service restaurants are wildly overpriced -- not necessarily if you just look at the price on the menu and compare it to other restaurants, but when you consider that price combined with the quality of food. They're generally charging the price you'd expect at a higher end restaurant but serving chain restaurant quality food.

Yeah but the prices for the table service locations isn't just based on food quality, but also demand/experience.

Prices for food may seem more reasonable at the counter service locations, but if you're in a position where you are fighting to find a table, sometimes force to sit outside in the sun, the extra money needed to secure a seat in an air conditioned location with a server, is worth it.

Undoubtedly though, the table service locations take up more space and cost more to run. From a supply/demand perspective, it makes sense that the table service would be more expensive, and it might be in Disney's best interest to push more people toward counter service/ODV.

UNCgolf

Yeah but the prices for the table service locations isn't just based on food quality, but also demand/experience.

Prices for food may seem more reasonable at the counter service locations, but if you're in a position where you are fighting to find a table, sometimes force to sit outside in the sun, the extra money needed to secure a seat in an air conditioned location with a server, is worth it.

Undoubtedly though, the table service locations take up more space and cost more to run. From a supply/demand perspective, it makes sense that the table service would be more expensive, and it might be in Disney's best interest to push more people toward counter service/ODV.

Well yeah -- I thought basically all of that goes without saying. Of course table service is going to cost more for a variety of reasons. That didn't really seem relevant to the discussion because it was a comparison of Disney to non-Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom