News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

durangojim

The bill doesn't take effect until June 1.

If DeSantis loses in November, his Democratic opponent will reverse the decision, regardless of whether the bill has any actual teeth.

A lot of people could vote Democrat solely to keep RCID intact, regardless of their personal affiliations. And Disney, even without Chapek as front and center, could really pull out all the stops on this one election, and push a Democratic victory through.

Even so, this might be what leads to Chapek's contract simply expiring in February, regardless of whether the board members think DeSantis is in the wrong with the original bill. So many people would've certainly handled things better, even denouncing DeSantis, far better than Chapek did, where attempting to please everyone resulted in pleasing no one.
It’s because Chapek does not have leadership skills. If he did he would have stuck to his guns and tried to keep Disney apolitical. Instead he caved and managed to anger everyone.

lazyboy97o

If DeSantis loses in November, his Democratic opponent will reverse the decision, regardless of whether the bill has any actual teeth.

A lot of people could vote Democrat solely to keep RCID intact, regardless of their personal affiliations. And Disney, even without Chapek as front and center, could really pull out all the stops on this one election, and push a Democratic victory through.

Even so, this might be what leads to Chapek's contract simply expiring in February, regardless of whether the board members think DeSantis is in the wrong with the original bill. So many people would've certainly handled things better, even denouncing DeSantis, far better than Chapek did, where attempting to please everyone resulted in pleasing no one.
Changing the law would require more than just a different governor. The legislature would have to pass relevant legislation first.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What I mean is, outside of RCID, who is keeping track of what is going on after 50 years? Even the Orange County mayor couldn't answer the question in a tv interview. Even if the information is public no one is reading it and reviewing it. This situation is a mess that will cost millions of $ in lawyers.
Huh? They publish an annual report. It’s audited. They are governed by the same regulatory requirements of ny other municipal entity.

BoardroomBrad

The state constitution was ratified November 5, 1968. The state Supreme Court ruled in favor of the district on November 27, 1968
Oh that’s gonna be used in the suit, guarantee it.

Listen to them. They might be on to something.

lazyboy97o

What I mean is, outside of RCID, who is keeping track of what is going on after 50 years? Even the Orange County mayor couldn't answer the question in a tv interview. Even if the information is public no one is reading it and reviewing it. This situation is a mess that will cost millions of $ in lawyers.
Start reading. Please share the dirt that you find.

Somebody needs to fact check this for me. So the Governor will sign the bill to remove RCID.

But is it true that residents if RCID (about 100 folks picked by Disney) must vote and approve this in order for it to actually happen?

If that’s the case there is ZERO chance of RCID getting removed.

To be totally transparent I want it to remain in place so this is good news to me.
It needs the people vote to self dissolve. But people didn't vote to create it because there was nothing or no one in the area at the time it was created. It can be dissolved the same way, created by FL government. Big legal problems for the FL government, the federal government owns land inside RCID. Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake are two city/towns, this will create the issue that the area will never be unincorporated part of the county. This mean the county will not be in charge of services, it will pass to the 2 towns. Just like the city of Orlando or Winter Park, they will remain like they are right now. If the residents held a referendum and vote to keep RCID they can go to federal court and win, because they have their rights. There is a 99% chance of this law ending in nothing changing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, help me to understand.

If I say something but the government passes a law against you and 6 other people...

I can sue the government for violating my first amendment rights? Because you give me a ride to work every morning?

Do I have this right?
Were they specifically targeting you and demonstratedly so in a way that meets these criteria?

1) They engaged in constitutionally protected activity
2) as a result, they were subjected to adverse action by the defendant that would chill a person of ordinary firmness from continuing to engage in the protected activity
3) there was a substantial causal relationship between the constitutionally protected activity and the adverse action

The standard is already well known and tested in law. Try assessing your questions with it.

lazyboy97o

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If the government revoked my license so I can no longer drive you yes, yes you could still sue because you were impacted.

Now if there was absolutely no impact to you then you might have trouble establishing standing, but myself and the others targeted would still have a case. Going after associates is a classic way governments try to suppress dissent while claiming otherwise.
So, will the harmed party, through this legislation, be TWDC or RCID?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Were they specifically targeting you and demonstratedly so in a way that meets these criteria?

1) They engaged in constitutionally protected activity
2) as a result, they were subjected to adverse action by the defendant that would chill a person of ordinary firmness from continuing to engage in the protected activity
3) there was a substantial causal relationship between the constitutionally protected activity and the adverse action

The standard is already well known and tested in law. Try assessing your questions with it.
Were they (TWDC, the source of the speech) subject to adverse action? Or was RCID and six other IDs subject to an action by the legislature?

Brian

@The Mom checking in on this thread.

Over It Computer Smash GIF by MOODMAN

The RCID must submit financial audits to the FL Auditor General every year just like any other municipal entity in the state. So the FL Auditor General is reviewing it. Also, the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board requires certain disclosures annually for issuers of municipal debt. So that is 2 authorities reviewing their information, plus any banks that have loans out to RCID would be reviewing their information at least annually. None of it is just gathering dust on a shelf as RCID hides their misdeeds in plain sight.
Wow, you sound like if I said the place is run badly or is run inefficient when is the other way, they probably waste less $ than the counties. What I am trying to say is nobody before this week can say how much they pay or if they paying less or more taxes than anybody else, until someone run the numbers. Please relax. I am just saying the same thing the 2 counties were responding on TV. Nobody outside the workers in those departments know the numbers, even if the information is public. Is probably million of documents for the past 50 years. In a month or two we will find out on the news, right now there is probably teams of lawyers and reporters reading all that information.

HM Spectre

Anyone surprised they are still silent on this? Was expecting some kind of statement from Disney.
Nope. Corporations are generally cowardly and try to avoid controversy because it's bad for business (or seek controversy when they think it's good for business).

Disney's initial statement was in response to the backlash regarding their silence. Chapek thought that he could appease the group upset with the company and make it go away, maybe even get a PR boost from it. What he didn't count on was the backlash to the statement.

Now, Disney is stuck in the middle of all this where any stance or statement they make is bound to tick off one side or the other. So they're choosing neutrality to help things die down... which is the smart thing to do, but at this point, the damage has been done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom