News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

DisneyDebRob

With all due respect to your brother, how can he “estimate” how much his taxes go up? I’ve heard wild stories ranging from property tax bills going up 25% to Disney having to pay Orange County $570M in extra tax, which would significantly lower property taxes in Orange County. I’m sure it will all be worked out, with very little change to either sides taxes.
He’s gathering information on all of it now. He has heard about the extra tax from orange county but from what he says thats less likely then taxes going up. Hes heard 20-25% increase. Hes just estimating now. We will see.

lazyboy97o

Voters taxes shooting up is what gets their attention. Unfortunately that right now is in the background of reporting. Wait until they are hit with it.
Which is exactly why Disney’s benefits have to be so completely misrepresented. A lot of people are not going to be angry over the idea that Disney pays their taxes and pays extra to cover the costs of the infrastructure the county would otherwise have to cover.

AEfx

So your position is that RCID is not a benefit provided to Disney by the Florida state government?
That's what some have been trying (very hard) to convince us of for a 100 pages or so now.

This thread is so full of misinformation and people with clear agendas it's mind boggling and pretty useless from an informational standpoint.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While I do see the various legal processes eventually carry this issue to the High Court time lapse wise RCID would have ceased to exist by then. The landscape will look completely different.
I will introduce you to the word ‘injunction’

They would ask the court to stay any action until it’s challenges are settled by the court. And they’d get it.

lazyboy97o

I’m an Orange County resident and I’m upset by this. I hope those numbers aren’t accurate tho. I’m so confused, because why wouldn’t Orange County just not take the tax money that was being paid to reedy creek?
Because they’re completely separate taxes levied by a different body. Money isn’t diverted from Orange County to the District.

lazyboy97o

That's what some have been trying (very hard) to convince us of for a 100 pages or so now.

This thread is so full of misinformation and people with clear agendas it's mind boggling and pretty useless from an informational standpoint.
Then give specifics. Show us examples of misinformation. Show how people previously opposed the District now support it.

mmascari

If I was to make this drive: https://goo.gl/maps/yaD8vPCYPghS8Wqz7
From: Walmart Supercenter 2855 N Old Lake Wilson Rd, Kissimmee, FL 34747
To: Taco Bell 7970 Winter Garden Vineland Rd, Windermere, FL 34786

Driving up World Drive and Floridian Way to Reams Road. Including driving through the recently updated fly over on World Drive.

Are those public roads maintained by RCID?
Are those private roads maintained by Disney?
Is it both?
If it's both, when does the switching happen?
For the recently updated fly over specifically, is that an RCID road or a Disney road?

That last one is a super important distinction here. If it's an RCID road, then municipal tax favored bonds could be used to borrow money to pay for it. The scheduling of the work was competing with other RCID work and RCID budgets. The exact plan and desire to change the flyover was at the RCID discretion.

That the current RCID leadership and funding is closely aligned with Disney means all those things have a huge influence from Disney in how they're determined. That's a huge benefit to Disney. If prior to the fly over, toll plaza operations were a problem, and adding the fly over created a benefit to those operations, it's clear to see why Disney would want that work prioritized. Transferring all of that control to a new group that's not as aligned and has other competing priorities would impact how and when that type of work would happen.

If that's not an RCID road, but a private Disney road, then where along that route does World Drive change from a public RCID road into a private Disney road? Is it right at the 192 exit ramp? Somewhere after Osceola Parkway or Epcot Center Drive? Could Disney move the toll plaza and prevent making this trip without a park ticket?

When we compare this to the other area theme parks, do those parks have large public road systems instead of just private roads?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m an Orange County resident and I’m upset by this. I hope those numbers aren’t accurate tho. I’m so confused, because why wouldn’t Orange County just not take the tax money that was being paid to reedy creek?
Because they were not orange county taxes. They don’t just roll over because the very definition of them goes away

Brian

What does the Orange County Tax Collector gain from lying about Disney’s taxes? Would he not be the person most familiar with any taxes Disney is not paying to Orange County? Isn’t he going to face voter anger over increased taxes?
He certainly has the background and position to put out correct information on the topic, but it also wouldn't be out of the question to lie about it considering he is an elected Democrat, and it would stand to reason that he has an interest in taking DeSantis and the GOP-majority in the legislature down.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's definitely what's happening, however, he is a politician, and politicians of all persuasions have been caught lying ever since the founding of our republic, and then some.

Edit: Also, anyone who thinks that the tax collector is also responsible for creating the taxes they collect shouldn't be voting.

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

I have specifically noted the benefits. They are not what you and many others just assume.
So then your point that RCID is not a tax break is irrelevant. Either it is a benefit or it is not. If it is not a benefit, then it's not "punishment" to take it away (and therefore not possibly a violation of free speech). If it is a benefit, then the question is whether or not the state's action is an infringement on the 1st Amendment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom