News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MandaM

To be fair, nothing about democracy guarantees free speech. Democracy is just two wolves and a sheep deciding what’s for dinner.

We’re a constitutional republic, bound to the laws of the Constitution, which guarantees us the right to speak out freely against the government, without fear of punishment from said government.
A constitutional republic is a form of democracy. The well-worn "two wolves and a sheep" phrase is referring to a direct democracy. And in America's democracy, freedom of speech is guaranteed in the 1st Amendment, for people and for corporations. Disney has the right to voice their opinion without fear of government retribution, just as you and I do.

MandaM

Not going down the political rabbit hole for fear of the mods but just want to quickly say free speech has always applied to individuals including the press not a business. The point of a business is to just make money. And Disney went a head and thought it would be fun to get political and they went a head and messed around and found out as the kids would say. Free Speech means you don't go to jail for what you say not that there wont be ANY consequences.
That's incorrect. The Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are people. Therefore, Disney enjoys the exact same 1st Amendment rights as an individual. Punishing them for expressing an opinion violates their freedom of speech.

WDWFanRay

Imagine being in a room filled with your grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great grandparents, etc….all of your ancestors and think about how you’d feel explaining your position with them. Would they agree? Or would they find it foolish and destructive. Be honest.

Vegas Disney Fan

Imagine being in a room filled with your grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great grandparents, etc….all of your ancestors and think about how you’d feel explaining your position with them. Would they agree? Or would they find it foolish and destructive. Be honest.
My modern day right leaning independent views would likely be considered exceptionally liberal to my grandparents. I never met my great or great great grandparents but considering the time in which they lived they’d probably find my conservative values nearly heathen by the standards of their day.

They‘d probably agree with me on strong borders, strong military, strong police force, low taxes, low regulations ,etc but they’d probably be mortified that I’m pro choice, don’t care who people marry (as long as theyre all over 18), don’t care how someone chooses to live their lives (as long as it doesn’t harm others and I’m not forced to pay for it), etc.

Different times, different standards.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Who are you talking to specifically, or what position exactly?

AdventureHasAName

There have been several lawsuits across the nation about profiting from permitting and charging for permits unequally. In almost all cases, the counties or cities have lost. Basically permits can’t be used a means of gatekeeping, they exist to ensure public safety.
Except they wouldn't be gatekeeping; quite the contrary, the entire purpose would be to generate revenue, specifically from the company that uses the permitting process the most.

The whole issue is really moot, as I would think the most efficient way for Florida to extort money from Disney (if that was its goal) would be through roadway tolls into and out of the resort. If the Port Authority can charge $16 a car to cross the river into NYC to the tune of approximately $350 million a year, surely the state of Florida could justify a $25 per car toll on all of Disney's employees and customers as they entered the resort. If the WDC felt obligated to offset this increased cost through higher wages/compensation (employees) and lower parking fees (customers), that would be up to them.

It's all nonsense anyway ... Disney's debt burden is not going to disappear unless Disney no longer intends to use utilities (electricity) at its resort in the future. RCID's utilities-providing infrastructure is going to land in either the state or county governments' lap and that entity is going to charge Disney appropriately for those utilities going forward (just as RCID would have).

Last edited:

Chewiespal

We're talking about Disney's right to free speech. Corporations are legally people, and people can't be punished by the government for expressing an opinion. That's totally against the 1st Amendment.

And nothing in the bill prohibits teaching sex ed, not at all. In fact, the majority in the legislature shot down an amendment that would specifically prohibit the teaching of sexual education. You should read it.
How many people has Disney punished because they expressed an opinion that Disney didn't share?

MandaM

How many people has Disney punished because they expressed an opinion that Disney didn't share
How many people has Disney punished because they expressed an opinion that Disney didn't share?
Freedom of speech only applies to the government. The government cannot legally punish a corporation/person for expressing an opinion.

andysol

Freedom of speech only applies to the government. The government cannot legally punish a corporation/person for expressing an opinion.
What they’re doing is legal and constitutional. The courts will almost assuredly confirm that is the case.

Is it likely punishment? Sure. But sometimes you put yourself in someone’s aim. And that’s what Disney did.

Others do it all the time when they spout things in the media (on both sides) and then laws are passed that specifically address them. This is nothing new, really.

Being invisible and behind the scenes is what any corporation should be doing if they’re managing in the best interest of their shareholders; which is their fiduciary responsibility.
*checks stocks*. Yup. They definitely weren’t doing that.

I think everyone can agree that Disney flat out screwed up here. In many ways.

I’m not even saying I agree with DeSantis here. I think he’s being petty and trite. And I think 98% of it is just political grandstanding and superfluous nonsense and a waste of time.
But it’s definitely legal.
And disney is definitely beyond stupid here. Desantis’ has always been standing up and taking on a fight. It’s his brand. It’s why he’s a national figure. Why they thought he’d just be quiet is beyond me. They literally “Fd around and found out”
And among Floridians, the only people who really matter in this discussion, he’s wildly popular and even this assault is favorable to his constituencies beliefs.

So it doesn’t matter what our belief is, as the bottom line is:
1) It’s legal
2) It’s smart for desantis on the local level
3) And Disney is a fool in this entire debacle. Maybe they’ll learn something here.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

What they’re doing is legal and constitutional. The courts will almost assuredly confirm that is the case.

Is it likely punishment? Sure. But sometimes you put yourself in someone’s aim. And that’s what Disney did.

Others do it all the time when they spout things in the media (on both sides) and then laws are passed that specifically address them. This is nothing new, really.

Being invisible and behind the scenes is what any corporation should be doing if they’re managing in the best interest of their shareholders; which is their fiduciary responsibility.

I’m not even saying I agree with DeSantis here. I think he’s being petty and trite. And I think 98% of it is just political grandstanding and superfluous nonsense and a waste of time.
And disney is definitely beyond stupid here. Desantis’ has always been standing up and taking on a fight. It’s his brand. It’s why he’s a national figure. Why they thought he’d just be quiet is beyond me. They literally “Fd around and found out”
And among Floridians, the only people who really matter in this discussion, he’s wildly popular and even this assault is favorable to his constituencies beliefs.

1) It’s legal
3) And Disney is a fool in this entire debacle. Maybe they’ll learn something here.
It’s not though. Several politicians have openly stated that this is in retaliation of Disney speaking out against the Dont Say Gay bill. Corporations are people and the government can’t punish anyone because of their speech

andysol

It’s not though. Several politicians have openly stated that this is in retaliation of Disney speaking out against the Dont Say Gay bill. Corporations are people and the government can’t punish anyone because of their speech
It doesn’t matter what politicians say.

It matters what judges say. And the lawyers have already come out (even in anti-desantis articles) stating it’s legal and extremely unlikely to be overturned.

Trying to pretend this isn’t legal in Florida, where the federal judges are almost all conservative appointed, is hilarious.

Regardless of what politicians say. Are politicians reliable, unbiased sources now? 😂

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

It doesn’t matter what politicians say.

It matters what judges say. And the lawyers have already come out (even in anti-desantis articles) stating it’s legal and extremely unlikely to be overturned.
Maybe not the passing of this bill. But the RCID will continue on, especially since the Florida state law states that for it to be dissolved, the landowners would have to vote for it to be dissolved. That’s not happening.

andysol

Maybe not the passing of this bill. But the RCID will continue on, especially since the Florida state law states that for it to be dissolved, the landowners would have to vote for it to be dissolved. That’s not happening.
And again, if you have read articles from lawyers (from all sides)- you’d see that they have already struck that down as an argument because no landowners voted for it to become a district. Therefore setting precedent and making a vote of landowners irrelevant. The twitter thread above from multiple lawyers (heavily anti-desantis) explained it very clearly.

If the GOP pursues this, it’s a done deal.

It’s likely to all be hammered out with under the table deals and payoffs and die before the June 2023 deadline anyway. That’s really the most realistic outcome. And the most hopeful outcome, if you’re “team disney” here.

Mickey's Pal

That's incorrect. The Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are people. Therefore, Disney enjoys the exact same 1st Amendment rights as an individual. Punishing them for expressing an opinion violates their freedom of speech.
Disney's job is to keep their mouth shut and make money. Doesn't matter if the money comes from a democrat, republican, straight, gay, trans, think they are a walrus..their money is green and good. That should be Disney's priority not take sides on a political issue . Parents will always win. They are the ones buying Disney's products like park tickets and Disney +. Why do you think Disney's stock took a hit? I bet you a million bucks Lightyear underperforms heavily.

MandaM

1) It’s legal
If Disney can show that the bill is retaliatory, then it is absolutely illegal. Just like if you spoke against a bill and the gvmt decided to punish you, it would illegal. It would violate your 1st Amendment rights.

MandaM

Disney's job is to keep their mouth shut and make money. Doesn't matter if the money comes from a democrat, republican, straight, gay, trans, think they are a walrus..their money is green and good. That should be Disney's priority not take sides on a political issue of parents trying to stop their little kids from being indoctrinated about sexual orientation in kindergarden. Parents will always win. They are the ones buying Disney's products like park tickets and Disney +. Why do you think Disney's stock took a hit? I bet you a million bucks Lightyear underperforms heavily.
You said freedom of speech doesn’t apply to corporations. I corrected you, because that is false. Now you’re moving the goalposts. Disney has every right constitutionally to disagree with a political bill. You’re either for freedom of speech or you’re not.

ParentsOf4

The relevant part of the (soon to be) statute dissolving RCID states:

(2) Notwithstanding s. 189.072(2), [emphasis added] any independent special district established by a special act prior to the date of ratification of the Florida Constitution on November 5, 1968, and which was not reestablished, re-ratified, or otherwise reconstituted by a special act or general law after November 5, 1968, is dissolved effective June 1, 2023. An independent special district affected by this subsection may be reestablished on or after June 1, 2023, pursuant to the requirements and limitations of this chapter.​
Section 189.072(2) reads:

(2) OTHER DISSOLUTIONS.—​
(a) In order for the Legislature to dissolve an active independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act, the special act dissolving the active independent special district must be approved by a majority of the resident electors of the district or, for districts in which a majority of governing body members are elected by landowners, a majority of the landowners voting [emphasis added] in the same manner by which the independent special district’s governing body is elected. If a local general-purpose government passes an ordinance or resolution in support of the dissolution, the local general-purpose government must pay any expenses associated with the referendum required under this paragraph.​
(b) If an independent special district was created by a county or municipality by referendum or any other procedure, the county or municipality that created the district may dissolve the district pursuant to a referendum or any other procedure by which the independent special district was created. However, if the independent special district has ad valorem taxation powers, the same procedure required to grant the independent special district ad valorem taxation powers is required to dissolve the district.​

In other words, the bill negates the requirement that RCID landowners must vote on this.

It's completely within a governing body's powers (and fairly common) for a legislature to pass a new law negating part of an earlier law. This part of the bill will hold up in court, so the argument that landowners must vote to approve this is no longer applicable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom