Expansion Coming?

UNCgolf

One thing you're not looking at is the ability to use "Electricity". Disney wouldn't have to have as many buses (and use as much gas) if they connected more resorts via the Gondola system. Which also benefits the environment as well.

Plus they could charge more money for the new resort's rooms and the new Disney Springs establishments.

There are a lot of issues with expanding the Skyliner across the property in terms of blocking available expansion land. They'd also have to keep a large fleet of buses in reserve regardless because the Skyliner can't run during storms, which are very common in Florida. It's also far too slow to go long distances -- some of the Skyliner routes would be 30-45 minutes long, and even longer in some cases.

Trying to use the Skyliner as the main resort-wide transportation system would be both inefficient and unfeasible.

tcool123

I'm for the gondola's, but I think it's silly to charge people for parking at Disney Springs. Unless we'd get some kind of reimbursement.
I was under the impression that due to how the garages were funded they are not able to charge for parking in them. This is why Valet and Preferred Parking are both on the surface lots.

Looking deeper it does seem that the garages were not funded by Disney, directly, but rather utilized tax dollars from Reedy Creek. I believe that since legally they argued that the garages were for public usage they can't be charged for? In addition to them being owned by Reedy Creek. Mind you I am not a lawyer of any sorts, nor an insider, and just trying to interpret this article.

One thing you're not looking at is the ability to use "Electricity". Disney wouldn't have to have as many buses (and use as much gas) if they connected more resorts via the Gondola system. Which also benefits the environment as well.
I haven't really looked it, but I thought Disney began the phasing of busses being powered by renewable fuel. So in terms of eco friendliness Disney has already begun to cut down on their gas costs. In addition it does seem that electric busses have begun to be phased in as well, and have been in testing for nearly a decade now.

It does seem that it'll make more sense if Disney goes the electric route that'll it be less of a hassle to do so with Electric Busses

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There are a lot of issues with expanding the Skyliner across the property in terms of blocking available expansion land. They'd also have to keep a large fleet of buses in reserve regardless because the Skyliner can't run during storms, which are very common in Florida. It's also far too slow to go long distances -- some of the Skyliner routes would be 30-45 minutes long, and even longer in some cases.

Trying to use the Skyliner as the main resort-wide transportation system would be both inefficient and unfeasible.

This, plus the fact that you'd have to have bus drivers sitting at the ready 6+ months of the year, and have to pay them to sit somewhere "just in case". So any savings by not running buses would be eaten up by paying drivers to sit and do nothing for 8+ hours a day. Plus they'd have to have all gondolas running and all stations manned for roughly 18 hours a day. And, as you mentioned, the length of time for some of those runs would be ridiculous. Pop to MK? It's already 25-ish minutes from Pop to Epcot, so roughly double that to go to MK, on the conservative side.

Swiss. Cheese.

MickeyMouse10

I haven't really looked it, but I thought Disney began the phasing of busses being powered by renewable fuel. So in terms of eco friendliness Disney has already begun to cut down on their gas costs. In addition it does seem that electric busses have begun to be phased in as well, and have been in testing for nearly a decade now.

It does seem that it'll make more sense if Disney goes the electric route that'll it be less of a hassle to do so with Electric Busses

You both make fair points, I guess it could be used as just an alternate route. And not a main transportation alternative. People seem to love the Skyliner, so I'm sure it would still be worth it financially.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You both make fair points, I guess it could be used as just an alternate route. And not a main transportation alternative. People seem to love the Skyliner, so I'm sure it would still be worth it financially.
Don’t get me started about the finances of the cable cars.

It’s a point to point, non weather proof ride. Not a mass transit system. Not that that would stop them thinking about it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Don’t get me started about the finances of the cable cars.

It’s a point to point, non weather proof ride. Not a mass transit system. Not that that would stop them thinking about it.

Clearly, the solution is to have a cable gondola system that's completely enclosed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That seems like a tremendous waste of money versus other options.

But maybe that's why they didn't build it.

Back then they still dreamed big. It was still the era of monorail expansion remember.
Let me do some digging in the archive.

Circa 1990-91. Interestingly it was the same period the Med Resort was being pursued again.

Anyway,

D7BA7643-96DB-431C-BD81-F1D0EB16E1AC.jpeg

lewisc

I had my glasses destroyed while traveling last Summer. A LensCrafters would be a blessing.:)
The sunglass stores in Disney are owned by Luxottica, parent company of lenscrafters. I doubt there is enough demand for a prescription eye glass place on property.
The su glass place on DS might be able to help with a broken frame particularly if it needs a screw

UNCgolf

Back then they still dreamed big. It was still the era of monorail expansion remember.

That was my thinking -- that expanding the monorail would be more efficient than an enclosed gondola system if they were going to spend that kind of money.

Still, nice that they used to make plans like that.

DisneyDean97

Hey Marni, how close were we ever to getting a monorail expansion? I'm surprised it never happened under Eisner/Wells, I'm assuming the last time it was ever seriously considered was in the 90s?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Something along Buena Vista Drive like a trolley could do a good job of connecting a lot of venues together and reducing busses. Could connect All Stars, Blizzard, Coronado, Boardwalk, Studios, Riviera, OKW, and springs in a pretty straight shot. Hmmm

DisneyDean97

Close-ish. The plans were drawn. Noises were made. Early to mid 90s it still had momentum. But no green light.
Ah I see, thank you. I knew it would never happen under Iger, and especially not now under Chapek, but was also surprised Eisner never went for it and gave it the green light considering he expanded Disney World so much

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom