News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Dutch Inn '76

Pardon me for not jumping on the Complain Train, but I'll withhold my judgement until March. We'll be there then. The pictures look like a 2021 take on Mid-Century Modern Tiki... which is what the Polynesian has always been. I'll update my opinion then...

UNCgolf

Pardon me for not jumping on the Complain Train, but I'll withhold my judgement until March. We'll be there then. The pictures look like a 2021 take on Mid-Century Modern Tiki... which is what the Polynesian has always been. I'll update my opinion then...

I don't think anyone was complaining about the idea of it, or the overall design -- the concept art was fine. The problem is the execution. It uses a bunch of materials that look cheap and/or unfinished. I'm not sure why unthemed metal sheets/bars and concrete equals a 2021 take.

Last edited:

Skywise

I don't think anyone was complaining about the idea of it, or the overall design. The problem is the execution wherein it uses a bunch of materials that look cheap and/or unfinished. I'm not sure why unthemed metal sheets/bars and concrete equals a 2021 take.
Post-modern brutal minimalism.

castlecake2.0

526C18FB-A52B-4903-9F31-071098ECCF02.jpeg

the more I look at the grand Floridian station the more it looks like the poly station but all painted white.

Epcot82Guy

Yes - the details of Flo's entrance (ceilings especially) always seemed a bit "missing". Though it's amazing what going with a flat white color palate covers up (or is viewed in architecture and design as being "covered up"). My big issue with the Poly having seen it in person is the number of fairly obvious, blatant cost cuts. Poly already suffers from having the less spectacular lobby and entry vs. its neighbor to the northwest. Plus, layers of detail and textures are a defining part of the Tiki ascetic. The whole point was to escape the reality of the modern, 60s cityscape. So, if you are really referencing your source, concrete columns, industrial paneling and exposed concrete floors should actually be one of the most important things to hide. It makes the Poly feel less than what it should be - especially for increased prices.

Supertech65

Can anyone tell me if all the DVC rooms are completely done with the room refurbishment? I know it was held up d/t the murphy beds but can't find any info online.

SplashJacket

Took the cousin to Poly yesterday to watch Enchantment. Got his thoughts on the new entrance.

We both really liked the openness and height of the new design. It feels so much more airy compared to the old one. I really like the colored paneling and the thatch.

My only complaints about it are the white underbelly and the fire suppression system that stick out because of it, the unthemed columns, and the balls.

I’d say the balls were the worst thing, followed by the white underbelly, and then the columns. The white underbelly doesn’t look as bad in person. It gives it a very clean look, which makes the color choice some purpose, even if I’m not a fan of it.

He didn’t really care about the columns, the balls, or the white underbelly. Honestly, he didn’t care, which is probably closer to the general public than anyone on here. Then again, we weren’t staying sat Poly, we were staying at the Shades of Green, so he didn’t have an incentive to care.

I was a huge fan of the new refreshed rooms. They look fantastic. Unless you tell someone, or they’ve watched Moana, they probably wouldn’t even know the rooms have a character overlay (my cousin didn’t). I really do think the new rooms look fantastic. Do they hold a candle to the wood carved furniture of Animal Kingdom Lodge? No, but nor did the old rooms. Definite improvement though.

Sir_Cliff

I really wish they would stick with a mid-century tiki aesthetic and avoid this kind of Walmart tiki party-style decorations. It really takes away from the resort and just makes it seem kind of tacky.

Disneyland seems to be far better than WDW at elevating their theming and maintaining consistency. At WDW, it often seems like no-one is in charge of overseeing those things so hotel management and others just stick in whatever seems appropriate to them.

castlecake2.0

Interesting that this Polynesian Resort ornament featuring the new porte cochère includes the detailing on the columns indicated by the concept art but not present in the final design.

I wonder if there were some pandemic related issues or delays? The contemporary lobby looked like it was done for months then last week got new desks, flooring, and light fixtures. The confectionary also got more props last week. The OKW lobby has also gotten some furniture updates since the project was said to be complete. So maybe they’ll surprise us?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom