News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Nottamus

Not sure if it was addressed- but a tower probably needs a lot more parking spaces than the space allows for looking at the map

lazyboy97o

I believe those long houses are all concrete, which can have an incredibly long life if taken care of. Hell, I live in a wetlands area and there is a 200+ year old house with stone foundation and brick footings that people still live in. I believe the longhouses can stay as long as Disney wants them to stay.
The Polynesian Village longhouses are all steel structures. The original longhouses that were just refurbished are modular units built by US Steel that were stacked in place like the Contemporary Garden Wings. The DVC longhouses were added later and are more traditional street structures.

Not sure if it was addressed- but a tower probably needs a lot more parking spaces than the space allows for looking at the map
Parking is based on the number of rooms. Form doesn’t really matter.

pdude81

The Polynesian Village longhouses are all steel structures. The original longhouses that were just refurbished are modular units built by US Steel that were stacked in place like the Contemporary Garden Wings. The DVC longhouses were added later and are more traditional street structures.

Parking is based on the number of rooms. Form doesn’t really matter.
Interesting, thanks. I didn't know they built built the original resort as a modular like CR. It seems kind of unnecessary with the much shorter buildings but they were trying to build everything as quickly as possible. My understanding is that the later expansion was done with concrete and this is why they couldn't easily change the room size in the (eventual) DVC longhouses. I'll have to look for more information on the history once Tikiman gets his new site up (old one is hacked and redirects somewhere fishy).

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting, thanks. I didn't know they built built the original resort as a modular like CR. It seems kind of unnecessary with the much shorter buildings but they were trying to build everything as quickly as possible. My understanding is that the later expansion was done with concrete and this is why they couldn't easily change the room size in the (eventual) DVC longhouses. I'll have to look for more information on the history once Tikiman gets his new site up (old one is hacked and redirects somewhere fishy).
The Contemp and poly were a partnership with Disney and US Steel. They were testing modular construction concepts. Very Walt…”Epcot”

However they had nothing but problems and that forced Roy to take over the operation after delivery. Hence “Disney resorts” was born. Right there. Us steel was supposed to manage the operation - through a third party - as well.

lazyboy97o

Two modular systems were used. The more famous one is the Contemporary tower where they slid the units into the larger frame. The Garden Wings and Polynesian Village units were stacked onto each other.

dreday3

Deluxe Resort guests having dinner at a food truck. Now that is magical. Social media bloggers would have a field day with this.

Well, food trucks are actually super trendy. More so a few years ago, but still very popular to this day.
A high end food truck would actually be fun to have around the resort - kind of beachy. They could park on the sand for a few hours. I have a few friends who went out of their way to hit up a few food trucks in Hawaii.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Ah perfect. I just don't agree with the Hilton and Fairfield Inn Comps... it looks super residential to me. I'd buy a condo in it. 😂
Never buy an apartment off the plan!

Doesn't surprise me this building sparks immediate recognition as an expensive mid-rise apartment complex from Atlanta to Melbourne to Toronto! I almost feel like I have walked past that rendering on construction walls or flipped past it on a real estate website.

Last edited:

Ayla

Well, food trucks are actually super trendy. More so a few years ago, but still very popular to this day.
A high end food truck would actually be fun to have around the resort - kind of beachy. They could park on the sand for a few hours. I have a few friends who went out of their way to hit up a few food trucks in Hawaii.
No one is allowed on the sand around SSL. At least at Grand Floridian.

SpaceMountain77

Just think, a few years ago, during the reimagining of Caribbean Beach, guests ate in a party rental tent!

At Walt Disney World, guests find this acceptable and magical. Anywhere else in the world, I’m sure a guest would be demanding a refund or relocation.

1647548863997.jpeg

*Source: Disney Food Blog

John park hopper

Just think, a few years ago, during the reimagining of Caribbean Beach, guests ate in a party rental tent!

At Walt Disney World, guests find this acceptable and magical. Anywhere else in the world, I’m sure a guest would be demanding a refund or relocation.

View attachment 627554
tent went *Source: Disney Food Blog
We were staying at CR and towards the end of our stay the food tent went up never used it ,but to Disney credit they gave us a $500 gift card we used at table service restaurants.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 627554
*Source: Disney Food Blog
You know…once…not that long ago…

They had a plan to do that very same thing prior…but rejected it as “embarrassing” and shut the whole place down for 4 months instead.

Rooms where about $125 a night average at that time.

MrPromey

This is exactly my line of thought, poly has nostalgia, but how much longer can they keep these long houses (which are just rectangle buildings with fancy roofs tbh) maybe this is the what they envision poly to look like going forward? Same with CBR, I can see them continuing to chip away at the outrer building ans create a tower district in that corner of property, complete with its own skyliner system...
It's own skyliner system to where?

MrPromey

Hypothetically? You could run one fairly straight shot to Dak with some rigging. Springs would be more “problematic”
Which seems like a really odd thing to locate at a single resort on Seven Seas, doesn't it?

Then you have people coming from the other two by Monorail at that station to transfer from that resort creating more traffic and congestion across the whole monorail line and specifically at that stop.

Also, it would be a weird accommodation to a single park from a single resort like that, don't you think?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which seems like a really odd thing to locate at a single resort on Seven Seas, doesn't it?

Then you have people coming from the other two by Monorail at that station to transfer from that resort creating more traffic and congestion across the whole monorail line and specifically at that stop.

Also, it would be a weird accommodation to a single park from a single resort like that, don't you think?
I think the topic might have rotated to caribbean?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom