News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

castlecake2.0

I believe those long houses are all concrete, which can have an incredibly long life if taken care of. Hell, I live in a wetlands area and there is a 200+ year old house with stone foundation and brick footings that people still live in. I believe the longhouses can stay as long as Disney wants them to stay.
Valid point, I’m sure they have good bones, but I’m wondering things like the roof, plumbing, electrical, low ceilings, wood rot etc, I’m wondering what internally Disney Considers their usable life span before it’s more costly to maintain than to replace.

JMcMahonEsq

Valid point, I’m sure they have good bones, but I’m wondering things like the roof, plumbing, electrical, low ceilings, wood rot etc, I’m wondering what internally Disney Considers their usable life span before it’s more costly to maintain than to replace.
Has to be a tough call to make on when you cross that line. Going with a full on replacement takes a lot of prime deluxe rooms off the market to do a tear down and build out. With maintenance you can stagger it to at least keep certain percentages of the rooms open.

I would think that if they though they were coming close to that line, rather than do the Moana refurbishment they would have a Accelerated plans and moved to a shut down and replacement with the Covid closures.

castlecake2.0

Has to be a tough call to make on when you cross that line. Going with a full on replacement takes a lot of prime deluxe rooms off the market to do a tear down and build out. With maintenance you can stagger it to at least keep certain percentages of the rooms open.

I would think that if they though they were coming close to that line, rather than do the Moana refurbishment they would have a Accelerated plans and moved to a shut down and replacement with the Covid closures.
Yah I don’t think they’re quite there yet, but in 10-20 years I’m curious what this resort looks like

pdude81

My Polynesian deed ends in 2066 if that helps. And those are the ones that are farthest from the GCH, so they'd have to demo the center of the resort if they wanted to make a change before then.

JMcMahonEsq

My Polynesian deed ends in 2066 if that helps. And those are the ones that are farthest from the GCH, so they'd have to demo the center of the resort if they wanted to make a change before then.
I will admit I don’t know a ton about the lay out of the Polynesian, is it possible to do a tear down on the non-dvc portion of the resort and not impact the DVC part? From what I have read it seems like that might not be an option as the amenities appear linked to the poly hotel and DVC wouldn’t have enough internal ones to support the guests.

pdude81

I will admit I don’t know a ton about the lay out of the Polynesian, is it possible to do a tear down on the non-dvc portion of the resort and not impact the DVC part? From what I have read it seems like that might not be an option as the amenities appear linked to the poly hotel and DVC wouldn’t have enough internal ones to support the guests.
They could tear down the non DVC buildings if they wanted to and replace them, as long as they left open the food offerings at the GCH or perhaps reopened Tangeroa Terrace for food if doing major work in the big building. And I expect they could shut down the DVC buildings for a day or two if doing serious demolition, but again I expect with these big concrete buildings that they have little incentive to do so.

Pool refurbishments also happen from time to time but there are multiple pools there so they have some options. I stayed during the refurb last April and you didn't know from minute to minute which pathways would be open. It was weird, but nice to actually be able to find chairs at the lava pool.

SpaceMountain77

So, by these standards, we should be quite worried about fully tearing down and rebuilding Cinderella Castle, right?

Sincerely, which resorts, because of their architecture, iconicity, and nostalgia do we think have the potential to achieve historic landmark status?

Personally, barring any structural issues, I think Contemporary Tower has greater chances than any of the Polynesian longhouses.

pdude81

I don't think food offerings are guaranteed. Disney could suggest guests walk over to the GF. Park one or two food trucks
The contract specifies your ownership interest in the unit, but also the common elements of the resort. We have specific budgets for maintenance and front desk/administration that are paid to the resort as a whole to share amenities. So it's not clear, but there is no world where they just shut everything down and tell people to walk to the next resort. This new DVC offering will have some options, but what they could also do is greatly expand the food offerings at the quiet pool bar and only allow on-site guests to eat there.

peter11435

Yep…and look what bob did there?
That conversion took place before Bob though. That was entirely done under Eisner. But they took outdated and aging resort accommodations from the 70’s and infrastructure from a failed 90’s project and redeveloped it into a sprawling and profitable DVC complex with easy access to Disney Springs shopping and Dining and transportation to any location at WDW.

Skywise

I don't think Disney realizes they're purely running on tourist inertia now or maybe their math shows they are and their solutions is shifting to DVC' so they can "trap" tourists.

I've only been going for about 10 years and *I* can tell the deterioration in service and offerings and the cutbacks only seem to be accelerating.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That conversion took place before Bob though. That was entirely done under Eisner. But they took outdated and aging resort accommodations from the 70’s and infrastructure from a failed 90’s project and redeveloped it into a sprawling and profitable DVC complex with easy access to Disney Springs shopping and Dining and transportation to any location at WDW.
True…the conversion was an Eisner green light…but the last phase and treehouse banishments were gravy on Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom