Tuesday, August 10th-Tuesday, August 17th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs 2 Bedroom Villa
IMG_1909.JPEG

WHO: Myself, E, JSR & J
IMG_2405.JPG

WHEN:
Thursday, September 23rd-Saturday, September 25th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs 1 Bedroom Villa
I figured a pic isn't necessary since there's the one above!!

WHO: E & myself(no J--gasp!!)
IMG_9415.JPEG

WHEN:
Thursday, October 7th-Saturday, October 9th

WHERE: Walt Disney World Swan
IMG_2906.PNG

WHO: Me, myself & I
IMG_2931.JPEG

WHEN:
Thursday, October 28th-Tuesday, November 2nd

WHERE: Saratoga Springs 2 Bedroom Villa
Again, no pic needed

WHO: My niece M, J, my sister B(M's mom), E & myself
IMG_9753.JPEG

WHEN:
Thursday, November 11th-Saturday, November 13th

WHERE: Animal Kingdom Lodge
IMG_3475.JPEG

WHO:
I was traveling solo again
IMG_3507.JPEG

WHEN:
Thursday, December 2nd-Saturday, December 4th

WHERE: Home❤️
IMG_3618.JPEG

WHO: 3rd go around alone!!
IMG_3654.JPEG

So, I had lots of mixed feelings as if I even wanted to do TR's on these trips. Other than the 2 longer ones the other 4 were really just to visit with a dear friend who had just moved there(I mentioned that in my last TR). She moved from Pittsburgh to about 1/2 hour from Disney. When visiting her I chose to stay at Disney b/c for the most part I was by myself so I felt safer. Also, in my down time when I wasn't visiting her I could go to the parks "for free", so to speak, since I have an AP. I looked at that as a "free" source of entertainment.

Since I really didn't plan on doing TR's for these I don't have great notes. Most of what is going to trigger my memories will be my pictures!!

As always, a huge welcome to all who will be following along!!😘

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 12TH

I had a few hours before I was going to visit with my friend so I hung around the pool area.
IMG_3529.JPEG

IMG_3530.JPEG

I went back to the room for a bit. I had bought this pin for J while I was at AK.
IMG_3534.JPEG

While waiting on my Lyft I had a drink at the pool bar.
IMG_3538.JPEG

IMG_3553.JPEG

I spent the rest of the day at my friends house. Her condition was starting to decline & she was told it would only be a few more weeks. It was hard b/c I truly believed that this was the last time I would see her. As it turns out she was with us a little longer than expected & that is where #6 comes in.

I started looking for a Lyft around 7:00. My plan was to go back & go to HS for a bit. By 8:00 I still couldn't get an Uber or a Lyft. There were some issues with one of my friends meds so her husband was going to have to drive somewhere like 45 minutes away to get them. My friends BIL ended up driving me back to AKL. I felt so bad but was very grateful that he was willing to do it. By the time I got back it would have been too late to go to HS so I just stayed at AKL. I was tired & it had been an emotional day so it was for the best.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 13TH

The car service was picking me up at 9:30. The day before I checked to see if I could get a reservation at Boma & I was able to get one for 7:30!! I really enjoyed their breakfast the last time I ate there so I was excited to eat there again.

The tater tots reminded me of the ones at Tusker House which I absolutely love!! I can't remember what was in the eggs but they were great!! As were the deviled eggs!!
IMG_3554.JPEG

Plate #2
I guess you could say I liked the bacon also!!
IMG_3555.JPEG

I went back to the room to get my luggage. I noticed this door open but didn't have the nerve to peer in too far!!
IMG_3557.JPEG

Yay!! The Christmas tree was put up overnight!!
IMG_3561.JPEG

Last edited:

erstwo

I spent the rest of the day at my friends house. Her condition was starting to decline & she was told it would only be a few more weeks. It was hard b/c I truly believed that this was the last time I would see her. As it turns out she was with us a little longer than expected & that is where #6 comes in.

I started looking for a Lyft around 7:00. My plan was to go back & go to HS for a bit. By 8:00 I still couldn't get an Uber or a Lyft. There were some issues with one of my friends meds so her husband was going to have to drive somewhere like 45 minutes away to get them. My friends BIL ended up driving me back to AKL. I felt so bad but was very grateful that he was willing to do it. By the time I got back it would have been too late to go to HS so I just stayed at AKL. I was tired & it had been an emotional day so it was for the best.
I'm ashamed to say that in all of your mentions of your friend in your trip reports these past few months, I never picked up on the fact that she was so very sick. I am so sorry for your loss and so glad you were able to spend time with her.

Songbird76

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 12TH

I went back to the room for a bit. I had bought this pin for J while I was at AK.
View attachment 624061

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 13TH

The car service was picking me up at 9:30. The day before I checked to see if I could get a reservation at Boma & I was able to get one for 7:30!! I really enjoyed their breakfast the last time I ate there so I was excited to eat there again.

The tater tots reminded me of the ones at Tusker House which I absolutely love!! I can't remember what was in the eggs but they were great!! As were the deviled eggs!!
View attachment 624064
Is it just me, or does the outline of that pin look like a stormtrooper mask??

I LOVE Boma breakfast. That was one of my favorite meals on our last trip, and top of my list for ADRs next time we go. Those tater tots are delicious!! I ate sooooo many of them! And the sticky buns, too! I think I could have made a meal on just those two things. I didn't like the POG juice, though, and they kept refilling my glass when I went to get more food. I'm one of those people who feels like it's a waste if I don't eat/drink everything. My mom always said "Take all you like, but eat all you take" and I was never allowed to leave the table until everything was gone, and she wouldn't let us order more than one drink in a restaurant. So I couldn't let it just sit there. My husband finally told me to put a sugar packet across the top to indicate I was done, and thank goodness it worked. I really wish I had gotten something else to drink there! But I did love the food, and I want to try a dinner there next time, too. Have you ever done dinner there?

riverside

Original Poster
I'm ashamed to say that in all of your mentions of your friend in your trip reports these past few months, I never picked up on the fact that she was so very sick. I am so sorry for your loss and so glad you were able to spend time with her.
Don't be ashamed at all!! I never mentioned in this TR that she was sick. We had met up in Disney in January, 2020(we were actually on the same flight going down) & she found out a few months later. I believe I mentioned it in that TR but that was sooooo long ago!! Thank you & I'm grateful for the time I got to spend with her & her family!!
Glad you were able to spend so much time with your friend and I'm sure she appreciated her time with you Patti. <3 The AK pin is a nice addition for J's pin collection, and I can only imagine the smile that appeared on his face when you gave it to him!
Thank you & yes, we both enjoyed our time together!! He was totally thrilled!! Unlike today:oops:, his birthday party is tomorrow & he really wants a cat. E & JSR are not pet people!! My sister C told him she would buy him one if his parents were ok with it. Our aunt passed away & today was her funeral. He kept bugging his parents at the luncheon about getting a cat. They both shot him down so he was in a very somber mood today!! 🤣
I didn’t catch that either! My condolences to you, @riverside.
Thank you so much!! I appreciate that. Again, I didn't mention it so it's totally understandable!!
Is it just me, or does the outline of that pin look like a stormtrooper mask??

I LOVE Boma breakfast. That was one of my favorite meals on our last trip, and top of my list for ADRs next time we go. Those tater tots are delicious!! I ate sooooo many of them! And the sticky buns, too! I think I could have made a meal on just those two things. I didn't like the POG juice, though, and they kept refilling my glass when I went to get more food. I'm one of those people who feels like it's a waste if I don't eat/drink everything. My mom always said "Take all you like, but eat all you take" and I was never allowed to leave the table until everything was gone, and she wouldn't let us order more than one drink in a restaurant. So I couldn't let it just sit there. My husband finally told me to put a sugar packet across the top to indicate I was done, and thank goodness it worked. I really wish I had gotten something else to drink there! But I did love the food, and I want to try a dinner there next time, too. Have you ever done dinner there?
Yes!! Now that you say it I totally see that!!

Their breakfast is awesome--& I'm not a breakfast fan!! The tater tots are AMAZING!! E doesn't like the POG juice either. I have not had dinner there but hopefully one of these days!! For as good as the breakfast is I'm sure dinner is great also!!
I missed that, too! I'm so sorry! Now it makes so much more sense that you were going so often to spend time with her!
Thanks!! I'm grateful that I was able to visit with her as much as I did!!
I also missed this. I am so sorry for your loss. I’m so glad you were able to get down there several times to spend time with her!
Thank you!! I'm so glad I was able to also. As hard as it could be at times I was very happy that I could!! I feel blessed!!

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2ND

This was definitely a very last minute trip. My friend that I had been visiting over the last few months wasn't expected to make it past Thanksgiving. I truly thought the last time I saw her would be the last. She was still hanging on but was rapidly declining. The beautiful person she was wouldn't be with us much longer & since I had another one of those early Thursday, off Friday, late Saturday weeks I decided to go see her one last time.

Just a little background on her condition--
In January 2020(we were actually visiting Disney together at the same time) we were watching the FoF parade & she mentioned that she had been having abdominal pain & had a doctors appointment scheduled for shortly after we got back. It turned out to be ovarian cancer. She was scheduled to have surgery on April 13th(ironically, that is her birthday) during the early days of Covid. Her husband dropped her off that morning & she spent a week in the hospital with absolutely no visitors, including her husband & daughter. The surgery was a success & she had her treatments & was doing pretty good for awhile. Fast forward about a year later & cancer came back full force. It had spread throughout her. With treatment she was given anywhere from a few months to 5 years. It was always their dream to move to Florida. I never asked but assumed that is why they moved there in the summer of 2021. She was able to go to Disney one time after she moved there--early September for her daughter's 16th birthday. Her condition started declining rapidly over the next few months & she was told that treatments would no longer help her. Late October she was admitted to the hospital & was then sent home under hospice care. Sorry for this downer post but I just wanted to explain what was going on. Also, I have pictures that we took together during my visits but b/c her health was declining I don't feel right posting them. At the end of this I will post some happier pics of us together!!

Ok, with all that being said--dinner at the airport was at Primanti's!!
IMG_3602.JPEG

Room was ready before I left Pittsburgh. This was another tough one for me. POR was back open. We had a reservation for January coming up. I really wanted my first stay back there to be with E & J so we could experience it together again for the first time in forever!! Also, I had(& I'm by no means complaining) spent a lot of money the last few months on flights, resorts, Uber's etc. so I wanted to cut back a little if I could. I was able to find a room at one of the All Stars. But then---I saw that POR was available. Yes, it's more expensive & I was really trying to keep the expenses in check a bit. But, the temptation of staying there was too great so I went that way. Not trying to justify it but at the same time I knew this would be a rough one so I thought that I would have some comfort if I stayed at "home". But, it also still weighed on me that I wasn't staying there for the first time with my Disney buddies. I kind of felt like I was "cheating on them" if that makes any sense??
IMG_3603.PNG

IMG_3604.PNG

The plane landed a little early & I happened to notice this on the wing of the plane. Where did that come from? I surely don't think that stayed on there for the whole flight!! BTW--I think they are glasses of some sort??
IMG_3605.JPEG

The car service was waiting for me & in no time at all I was on property. Forgive me, I know these pics aren't the greatest but I have never driven under the sign with fireworks going off so I was really excited to see this!!
IMG_3607.JPEG

IMG_3608.JPEG

IMG_3609.JPEG

Oh purple road signs--how I will miss you!!
IMG_3610.JPEG

Yet another blurry one!!
IMG_3611.JPEG

It had been quite awhile since I had seen the POR tree!!
IMG_3612.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2ND

It was after 10 when I arrived & the kitchen at The River Roost closes at 10. The Riverside Mill is open until 11 so I decided to put my suitcase in the room then head back down to get something to eat.

I know you've seen a ton of POR rooms pics over the years from me but since it had been a little over 2 years since I stayed there I decided I'd take a few--even though nothing has changed!! 🤣
IMG_3613.JPEG

IMG_3614.JPEG

Yes--I'm still in my work clothes!!
IMG_3615.JPEG

IMG_3616.JPEG

IMG_3617.JPEG

To the main building I went!
IMG_3618.JPEG

I got the jambalaya from The Riverside Mill then took it over to The River Roost so I could enjoy my dinner while......
IMG_3620.JPEG

watching YeeHaa Bob!!
IMG_3621.JPEG

I didn't stay long though as I was very tired so I left after 1/2 hour or so. I was talking to R & told him that I had stayed in this particular room before!! He told me that it was scary that I can actually remember which rooms I've been in!!
IMG_3623.JPEG

Love this resort!!
IMG_3626.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3RD

I started my day out with a smile--I took a walk around POR!! 💖
IMG_3627.JPEG

This was taken at the end. I actually didn't take any during. I was really just taking it all in--ok, I may have been shedding a few tears also!!
IMG_3628.JPEG

The plan was for me to visit with my friend around 10:00. I headed down to FQ so I could bring some breakfast treats with me--beignets!!
IMG_3631.JPEG

IMG_3632.JPEG

I got a big bag of beignets to take with me & caught a Lyft from FQ to her house. Due to my friend's condition I knew I would only be able to spend a few hours with her but that was fine-I would take what time I could get!! Her daughter & the rest of the family were thrilled with the beignets. I had a tough yet lovely time with all of them. I'm so thankful that I could visit with all of them again.
IMG_3633.JPEG

I ended up arriving back at POR around 2:00. Again, I would have liked to have been with my friend longer but she needed her rest. She wasn't up for most of my visit but when her family would ask her who was there visiting she would say my name every time. We obviously really couldn't talk that much but when I first got there she smiled & gave me a hug. I was so thankful that I was able to be there & wouldn't trade those memories for the world.
IMG_3638.JPEG

I was heading back to the room to freshen up a bit but decided to make a stop along the way!!
IMG_3640.JPEG

Sent this pic to R--he loves those Jack & Coke's!!
IMG_3642.JPEG

Feeling very indifferent....smiling b/c of where I was yet a ton of emotions were going through me at the time. But, that's when I decided that I had made the right choice by staying at POR. It did help to make me feel somewhat better.
IMG_3643.JPEG

I went back to the room to freshen up. Any guesses as to where I was heading?? 🤣
IMG_3646.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3RD

I'm sure you all guessed HS!!
IMG_3647.JPEG

IMG_3648.JPEG

IMG_3649.JPEG

But more specifically......
IMG_3651.JPEG

No, I did not grab our favorite table even though it was empty!! It would be quite rude considering I was a party of 1!! However, I did text my family this pic & told them to hurry on down if they wanted to claim it!! 🤣
IMG_3652.JPEG

I suffered with a window seat & only got this. I do love the steak puff & the pretzel but definitely wouldn't have been able to eat all that by myself!!
IMG_3653.JPEG

Cheers!!
IMG_3654.JPEG

Bye HS!! And, as you can see, Baseline was all I did for that trip there!!
IMG_3655.JPEG

Love their decorations!!
IMG_3656.JPEG

And I'm off again!!
IMG_3657.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3RD

Yay!! I was able to get a last minute reservation at Spice Road Table!! I would finally be able to try this place!!
IMG_3658.PNG

This was my view while I ate. I didn't realize how big that place is inside. I kept sending E pics of what I was seeing!!
IMG_3662.JPEG

IMG_3665.JPEG

IMG_3666.JPEG

I got the Grilled Lamb Kefta & the Spicy Shrimp. I would highly recommend both!!
IMG_3667.JPEG

No trip to Epcot is complete(at least in our family) without a stop here!!
IMG_3669.JPEG

You know I sent this one to the family back home!!
IMG_3671.JPEG

With that it was time to go!!
IMG_3672.JPEG

IMG_3676.JPEG

SSE is really looking great these days!!
IMG_3677.JPEG

erstwo

plane landed a little early & I happened to notice this on the wing of the plane. Where did that come from? I surely don't think that stayed on there for the whole flight!! BTW--I think they are glasses of some sort??
View attachment 624371
So it does look like glasses but I think it’s some sort of tie down latch/ loops permanently attached to the wing. I work with aircraft but not with commercial aircraft so I had to Google - it appears they use the anchors in case of a water landing? For ropes to steady passengers walking on the wing to the raft.

lindawdw

So glad you got one last trip in with your friend and her family during that difficult week. Port Orlean Riverside is definitely a beautiful resort and I'm glad you made it your home for this trip. Baseline is a must do for you and it's always fun to soak in the Christmas decorations at DHS! I've never eaten at Spice Road Table but it's been getting some good reviews lately and you can't beat that view!

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
Happy birthday wishes to J. Is he 7 or 8 years old now. He’s growing up so fast. I could see him be very responsible looking after a cat but obviously it’s up to his parents about having one. So pleased you got to spend so much precious time with your friend.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I am so sorry for both of your losses Patti. Not only are you an awesome aunt but a wonderful friend to take so much of what little free time you get to have flown to see your friend during her hospice care; it must have meant so much to her and her family.

Poor J - I wish I could convince his parents to let him have a cat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom