Chapek and D'Amaro continue the tradition of no bonus or Christmas gift for Disney's Cast Members

lazyboy97o

When I was in my early 20s (almost 30 years ago), rent was in the $1,000-1,400 per month range in a sketchier neighborhood with no amenities. I couldn't afford it on my low-level salaries, which is why I had to have roommates. I did that until I was married, and then we because a 2-income family.

Yes, housing is expensive and pay has not kept up. It is a huge issue. But for our discussion here we should keep in mind that people in lower-level jobs have always struggled to cover a home's cost on their own. That's not a new problem.
The cost of housing has become worse as a variety of housing typologies have effectively been made illegal and removed from the housing stock.

But then you're still a line cook or a dishwasher, making what Disney pays line cooks and dishwashers.

You know, there are places experimenting with guaranteed minimum incomes. Guess who pays for that. Hint: taxpayers.
The dishwasher will make $15/hour and the line cook will make $19/hour. Disney’s issue in Florida is less the dollar amount but the overall way they treat people. They burn people out. Don’t trust their employees (and that goes all the up the food chain causing other problems). It’s a place where you can be punished for enforcing a rule.

eliza61nyc

The cost of housing has become worse as a variety of housing typologies have effectively been made illegal and removed from the housing stock.

The dishwasher will make $15/hour and the line cook will make $19/hour. Disney’s issue in Florida is less the dollar amount but the overall way they treat people. They burn people out. Don’t trust their employees (and that goes all the up the food chain causing other problems). It’s a place where you can be punished for enforcing a rule.
So getting or not getting a Christmas bonus won't solve that issue.
That's insane if they treat folks badly

lazyboy97o

So getting or not getting a Christmas bonus won't solve that issue.
That's insane if they treat folks badly
The crap Cast Members put up with isn’t some secret. It comes up all the time, especially in threads like this one. It’s been mentioned in this thread, including the very first post.

Would a Christmas bonus fix that? No, but it could be a step in the right direction. So why is suggesting a Christmas bonus such an awful thing?

Lilofan

The crap Cast Members put up with isn’t some secret. It comes up all the time, especially in threads like this one. It’s been mentioned in this thread, including the very first post.

Would a Christmas bonus fix that? No, but it could be a step in the right direction. So why is suggesting a Christmas bonus such an awful thing?
There were write ups of WDW reimbursing cast who take college courses regardless of it is in their field . Would a company who doesn't care about their staff even do this?

Patcheslee

It honestly would depend on the contract Disney has with the union. If they got time and a half on Holidays written down in the contract yes. If it isn't then it really is up the the company.
We make triple time if we work holidays union negotiated. Christmas Eve-New Years Day is all considered a holiday. Granted I work in manufacturing and it's only a skeleton crew during that time. Hearing everyone talk about their break when they return sucks personally. Especially when they get mouthy for me taking a week PTO in summer.
That doesn't mean they don't happen. Disney could be giving out $50 gift cards and some people would still ask why isn't it $100
Work quit doing yearly appreciation picnics after complaints. It started as company picnic at a local theme park, but not all employees got off to attend. That turned into all employees being given admission to a theme park, zoo, aquarium or their choice for for at least 2 people. Even temporaries were given tickets. Families with more got as many tickets as people covered on their insurance. That led to complaints about not being able to purchase more tickets at a discount. Then it turned into a yearly get together in the plant for food and a drawing for a big screen TV. (1 TV around 500 employees). That's been downgraded to a t-shirt with a company logo and a turkey sandwich. Since we are required to wear company shirts for dress code, it's just one more work shirt.
Even when companies try to be flexible, there's complaints and sometimes they just get to the point of deciding it's not worth it.

eliza61nyc

It's actually not but it's the inference that corporations are evil because they don't give bonuses or minimum wage jobs pay gasp, low wages
I think I've been pretty consistent in saying respect should always be afford employees. Always.
I am a bit surprised now. As horrible as Disney is to their employees why the outrage over not getting a Christmas bonus.
As I said I've never received a "Christmas " bonus from my job. What I did get was am awesome salary, great bonuses and great coworkers. So no every corporation is not the anti-christ ready to stick it to its workers.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve often got a Christmas bonus from my employer. This year it was an expensive dinner and drinks rather than cash but the owner definitely spent some money on me!

It’s a nice gesture. I think universal gives all team members a turkey for thanksgiving?

Little things like that go a long way to improve employee morale and lower the turnover rate.

Maybe that’s why universal is able to operate at full capacity with all holiday entertainment running? ;)

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

The pendulum has swung far for huge bonusses for the higher-ups. With fewer people willing to work for terrible wages, it will just be a matter of time before the pendulum swings back. Companies will be forced to treat employees better. It's inevitable.

JoeCamel

The pendulum has swung far for huge bonusses for the higher-ups. With fewer people willing to work for terrible wages, it will just be a matter of time before the pendulum swings back. Companies will be forced to treat employees better. It's inevitable.
Get out your wallet, the company will make the same profits (mandated to have yoy growth) so the customers will pay.
I know it is old man ranting and I heard it from my parents but when you are paying multiples for the same product you bought years ago it hits harder. The value decision is tilted to not being worth it and looking for a substitute.

Cesar R M

This is why there are tracking, aka full orwegian.
I imagine most countries will go back to the infamous Tienda de Raya style from the spanish colonial era.
Where the homes, the stores, and the means are owned by the corporation you work for.
Causing lifelong debt and dependency lasting generations.

I mean, thats where the housing is going already (where corps are becoming huge landlords and buying every house, forcing people to rent and not buy).
Medicine? almost there too.
Massive debts to any kind of educations are ongoing in almost every modern 1st world countries.

Like the infamous saying, I paraphrase "An overworked person too worried in surviving, won't have ideas about striking or fighting for rights"

mp80237

Sorry you are contradicting yourself---"I am not saying "Let's give everyone $60k a year". But, I do I think everyone who works 40 hours a week should be able to afford rent, food, and utilities." There are places (NYC, CA, Philly etc) in order to afford rent ,food, utilities it's going to take 60K or more and that is what you are advocating.
Are we not talking about Orlando here? The base wage in Orlando is different than it is in California, Texas, Tennessee. What amusement park does Disney own in Philly or NYC? In Anaheim, yes apartment rentals are around $1800 a month. There are cheaper but that will get you a decent rental. Minimum wage in California is now $15 per hr.
That all being said, the lawsuit was dropped in California that would increase minimum wage at Disney to $18 an hour next year. So when everyone complains about short staffed at Disneyland that is why.

Goofnut1980

I guess a Thank you note isn’t good enough for Bob….

this just irritated me so bad when I saw what they made in 2021. They cant pay the CMs a decent wage and wonder why there is a shortage of staff. Wait till they don't have enough people to open one theme park per day.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom