News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

mergatroid

Disney's hotel website says that the rooms will be equipped with "a TV with entertainment from your home planet", which is how they'll explain that bit of mystery.

Although the TV signals traveling from our Milky Way galaxy to the Star Wars galaxy would take millions of years from now to get there, and Star Wars takes place in the distant past long before commercial Television was invented on Earth in the 1930's, so there's that timeline problem too. You're in your cabin in a galaxy millions of light years away watching Orlando TV stations from thousands of years in the distant future?

The first regular TV broadcasts from the 1939 World's Fair would only be about 80 light years from Earth by now. I Love Lucy episodes are 60 light years out, Three's Company is 40 light years out, Ross is breaking up with Rachel again 20 light years out, etc. The Milky Way Galaxy is over 150,000 light years across, and the next closest galaxy is 2.5 Million light years away.

The specific mention of "H20 Plus spa, bath and shower products" also makes me chuckle. I'm immersed!

View attachment 613851

I think the DoorDash delivery from Cheesecake Factory conundrum that @TrojanUSC came up with is going to be funnier to deal with than why the Charlotte Hornets game and Let's Make A Deal is on the ship's TV. 🤣

I suppose for those who'll worry that much about it spoiling the immersion they could just you know, not switch the television on? Those who think "I know this isn't really in space, as such I'd like to watch some tv", have the option of putting it on and chancing having their entire cruise ruined by realising they're still on earth (though I think they know that deep down). :D

JMcMahonEsq

Look, I get these are tough times for you and Joe Camel. You’re both clearly very invested in the success of this given how quickly you rally to it’s defense. You’ve internalized this so much you keep calling it a “cruise” when it doesn’t fit any conventional definition of such a thing. But now you want to quibble over semantics.

Disney has promised over and over this is an immersive experience, and is charging a hefty premium. Based on what’s been shown so far, it is not up to snuff when it comes to even baseline theming that we’ve come to expect, and open questions as to how the immersion can hold up given the vagaries of resort guests needs and interests.

Why is it so difficult to question whether a premium experience appears to hit the goals they themselves set out when it comes to the sorts of experiences this promises and the theming standards set by this company in the past?

While I would argue that until the place opens endless speculation, especially for people who have no intention of ever using this service is just baseless and speculation, this is a message board so I guess that’s the point. However your points if I am being kind enough to call them a point are just silly.

Do you happen to also miss the parts where Disney specifically stated people could be as immersed and involved in the experience as they want to be? Do you honestly think that Disney is planning on 100% of guests being “in character” 100% of the time, even in the privacy of their own rooms? Like people aren’t going to want to see the local weather and news and think about what they are doing in Orlando after their two day experience is over? Do you think Disney is going to take away cell phones, or take away the phone in the room bc “space doesn’t have 5G service?” Do you think they are baring outside snacks and food from being brought in bc “you can’t buy earth products in space or on Batuu?”

For those who want 100% immersion, they won’t turn on the “view screen” in their cabin to watch the Orlando Magic game. For others after they have gotten their fill of Star Wars for the day, they will watch the news. And for my wife who had put up with 2 days of our trip here instead of Bonnet Creek, she will want to watch real housewives or something, ANYTHING non sci-fi related while I am off exploring the bridge or getting the kids out of the brig.

All that being said, while not needed, and I don’t think it would ruin the experience to not have it, it would be pretty cool if the TV did have a closed circuit channel that played “shipboard” entertainment. Small clips of Star Wars content with tons of “advertisements” from Bantu.

GimpYancIent

Haters: What if you don't want to get in involved in the immersive experience you paid five grand for? What's there to do?

Disney: There's a TV in your room.

Haters: That's not immersive!!!
This whole Galactic Star Cruiser concept has basically become excellent material for Saturday Night Live skits. The folks at SNL would have a blast with this.

GimpYancIent

While I would argue that until the place opens endless speculation, especially for people who have no intention of ever using this service is just baseless and speculation, this is a message board so I guess that’s the point. However your points if I am being kind enough to call them a point are just silly.

Do you happen to also miss the parts where Disney specifically stated people could be as immersed and involved in the experience as they want to be? Do you honestly think that Disney is planning on 100% of guests being “in character” 100% of the time, even in the privacy of their own rooms? Like people aren’t going to want to see the local weather and news and think about what they are doing in Orlando after their two day experience is over? Do you think Disney is going to take away cell phones, or take away the phone in the room bc “space doesn’t have 5G service?” Do you think they are baring outside snacks and food from being brought in bc “you can’t buy earth products in space or on Batuu?”

For those who want 100% immersion, they won’t turn on the “view screen” in their cabin to watch the Orlando Magic game. For others after they have gotten their fill of Star Wars for the day, they will watch the news. And for my wife who had put up with 2 days of our trip here instead of Bonnet Creek, she will want to watch real housewives or something, ANYTHING non sci-fi related while I am off exploring the bridge or getting the kids out of the brig.

All that being said, while not needed, and I don’t think it would ruin the experience to not have it, it would be pretty cool if the TV did have a closed circuit channel that played “shipboard” entertainment. Small clips of Star Wars content with tons of “advertisements” from Bantu.
Excellent statement. Depending on how many people view this project that's how many different opinions there will be. To some there will be some level of value to others it is a bad joke. I believe it appropriate to quote the man himself "Happiness is a state of mind. It's just according to the way you look at things." Mr. Walt Disney. I believe he made a strong point.

mergatroid

That would be a great idea if they've not done that already, good thinking.

mergatroid

Yes, you would think. But for the demographics that can easily afford this in the first place, there's going to be plenty of spouses and teenagers and hangers-on that just aren't going to be in it to win it.

There are people who book cliffside suites for $2,000 per night at the Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach, and then want to order a room service cheeseburger and stream movies on the room's TV all day instead of look at the view or explore the hotel. (Trust me, I knew one.) Even though they spent a small fortune to surround themselves in an ultra-luxury cliffside hotel with endless amenities and fine dining in some of the most gorgeous scenery on planet Earth.
Do they offer adult movies? Not for me obviously, I've a friend who wants to know :rolleyes:

SWGalaxys_Edge

First test cruise happened yesterday. Heard this second-hand report....

" They were not in full costume yet. But I was told the food was great the rooms are really cool , in the show (finale) was fun . Now for some spoilers the bar is kind of small there is only one sabacc table that holds 5 People. That seems a little small."

The on ship shop..."It's mostly clothing, the usual patches pins things like that . The show was the end show finale With the 1st order invasion. Kylo and ray battle. The first night is the singer"

"20 at a time lightsaber training"

the experience "felt worth the price"

source: a post in my Starcruiser spoiler FB group from a member.

EPCOT-O.G.

Counselor, you criticize my "points" but then attribute critiques to me that I never made. I never said anything about Disney taking away or jamming cell phones; those were others. I never brought up the outside food issue; those were also others.

As far as the rooms, I think those actually look the best of what I've seen so far. But they are windowless to give the impression of traveling through space, and certainly you can see how watching local Orlando live television can puncture that theming a bit.

World building - whether it's in movies, television shows, or LARPing - requires a basic adherence to an internal logic. I am skeptical that this will hold up given what we've seen so far. I think we can look no farther than Batuu - that too was designed and intended to be an immersive experience. Your performance on the Falcon was supposed to affect your interactions elsewhere. Much of that has never materialized, and much of the other immersive experiences appear to have been abandoned. Thematically beautiful, and it has some of the component pieces, but feels a little soulless.

Again, they have put forth a lot of effort to build up the starcruiser conceit. From a practical standpoint, I feel some of these touches will detract from all that they've built up.

mergatroid

the experience "felt worth the price"

source: a post in my Starcruiser spoiler FB group from a member.
I think the "felt worth the price" will be the contentious issue to the detractors. Firstly the source will be criticised for being a Disney fan not wanting to upset Disney and secondly some will argue how is 2 days worth all those $$$'s. I suppose a review is also 'subjective' and some have made their mind up already and won't change it as that's the hill they've decided to die on.

I guess we'll have to wait till the paying customers respond when it opens to get genuinely debatable feedback, where they're not accused of being 'bought' by Disney.

Wendy Pleakley

I think the "felt worth the price" will be the contentious issue to the detractors. Firstly the source will be criticised for being a Disney fan not wanting to upset Disney and secondly some will argue how is 2 days worth all those $$$'s. I suppose a review is also 'subjective' and some have made their mind up already and won't change it as that's the hill they've decided to die on.

I guess we'll have to wait till the paying customers respond when it opens to get genuinely debatable feedback, where they're not accused of being 'bought' by Disney.

To paraphrase Roger Ebert, a good review should let the reader know what the experience is like and whether or not it's something they would enjoy.

Saying something is worth a certain amount of money or warrants a certain ranking is indeed subjective. A review should focus on letting people know things like how much time is devoted to activities, what types of things happen, what is the scope of the offerings, etc.

Also, any review content shared here should really be marked as spoilers, for anyone not wanting to hear every detail.

mergatroid

Immersive is the word that Disney used the most when it used to promote this experience. It had been known as a company that went to painstaking detail in its themed environments to not have any touchstones that pull you out of those experiences, down to the doorknobs.

Over the last few days many of us have begun to wonder how this “most immersive“ experience they’ve promised will hold up in practice. It’s not trolling to question whether this is a value proposition given the promises made and the extremely high costs that go along with it.

You really don’t see how watching the same cable feeds in this room as you would see in Art of Animation or any other resort hotel (stop calling it a cruise) could diminish all those other efforts?
They're calling it 'a cruise' because Disney called it a cruise, why would that bother you? You're complaining or questioning how immersive the experience will be, yet ironically criticising those calling it 'a cruise' who are just playing along with the immersive name Disney gave it.

Had Disney called it 'A galactic stay', you'd probably be saying "But you're supposed to be travelling through space, how is that a stay?"

I believe every adult paying to stay knows it's not a real cruise anywhere, as do all the CM's working there. They're calling it 'a cruise' as it simulates a cruise through space. Again they're only calling it that to add to the immersion that you're actually questioning.

Patcheslee

I don't give anyone staying right now for free much weight. It's good for informational purposes though i.e. lightsaber training capacity, Sabacc table, etc.

Incomudro

I've said this before re. Galaxy's Edge when similar questions were asked: Disney is not going to do what Disney doesn't already do.
Yes, this experience is designed to be more full on immersion - and for people looking for that.
But it's still Disneyworld.
They didn't bring some outside company in to run it, where it will be unrecognizable with different rules.
You're in WDW, and it's going to have that familiarity.

MurphyJoe

Oh, look! You included everybody from this forum. AWESOME!

And they're sitting in a pool!
Yeah, no kidding.

I saw the H20 mention on their website a few weeks ago and I thought "Really? You guys are claiming that as an amenity for your Star Wars hotel thing??? There's nothing else you wanna talk about instead?"

It stuck out to me more than the TV thing...

Until just now when I realized that Star Wars is millions of light years away from Earth and in the distant past, so how are they getting Let's Make A Deal episodes from 2022 to appear on my cabin's TV screen? 🤣

And mentioning that each room has a phone is just... odd.

D1028_38_979_1200.jpg

That's not really a fair comparison. That motel has a pool.

But know what Disney didn't mention? Cold Air. I wonder if they're planning on going old-school Motel 6 and charging extra if you want A/C in your cabin?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly having it mention the H2O products and a phone as amenities when they are at every property made me question if they have that little to offer. Not even values mention H20 products. Seems like they have a set minimum number of amenities to list and they ran out of things to include. Not even the values bother to mention it.

Hrmm.. yet when you look at the Cruise Line rooms..

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.47.57 AM.png

H20?? Wow they must be really scraping the bottom trying to describe those rooms too!

You guys are so fixated on tearing this thing down you'll easily latch on anything before even trying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom