News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TrojanUSC

Yes, you would think. But for the demographics that can easily afford this in the first place, there's going to be plenty of spouses and teenagers and hangers-on that just aren't going to be in it to win it.

There are people who book cliffside suites for $2,000 per night at the Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach, and then want to order a room service cheeseburger and stream movies on the room's TV all day instead of look at the view or explore the hotel. (Trust me, I knew one.) Even though they spent a small fortune to surround themselves in an ultra-luxury cliffside hotel with endless amenities and fine dining in some of the most gorgeous scenery on planet Earth.

Hotel Montage Laguna Beach, Orange County, California
mlb-og.jpg

Likewise, whether we understand it or not, there will be people who check into the Galactic Starcruiser with their family, and on the morning of the second day they'll sleep in and miss the bus transport to Batuu. Then they'll wander out to the lobby at Noon and ask a Chandrila Star Lines agent how to get to Disney Springs while their husband and kids do the Star Wars rides.

200 tourists per night, and it's going to happen. I just wonder if Disney has thought about how to accommodate guests who aren't 100% committed to the Star Wars Dress Up Hotel their husband or their secretary booked?

The only reason I'd want to book a room is to order Cheesecake Factory on DoorDash and watch the chaos ensue.

EPCOT-O.G.

It looks like the rooms have televisions. Do they get local Orlando affiliates, even though the ship will be orbiting many miles above Batuu?

durangojim

It looks like the rooms have televisions. Do they get local Orlando affiliates, even though the ship will be orbiting many miles above Batuu?
Strangely enough the one time my wife and I went to Cancun our resort had all of our local channels from Detroit in the room. It was extremely odd especially since this was back in 2003.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Most do not, they are generally on a cable or satellite plan that broadcasts the local channels for that viewing area. Might break the immersion if you’re watching the local Orlando evening news, wouldn’t you agree?
There are a lot of things that might break immersion, like exit signs.

Nothing can be 100% immersive when it's all artificial.

Is this something you truly can't comprehend, or are you just trolling?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You're not allowed to think anything positive about it on here, just guess a load of negatives and discuss those.

What happens if there's a fire, will everyone get a refund within 1 day? No, but they'll get a Disney Gift Card for the unused portion of their experience.
What if somebody gets ill, will the medics who turn up ruin the immersion? The Reedy Creek Fire Department will have EMS in character-appropriate costume. Bactra tank extra.
What if a guest dies, will they refuse to release the body till the end of the cruise? The remains will be available immediately for a slight upcharge.
What if a hurricane rips off the roof during role play, will the CM's continue to act or break character? In that case, the experience shifts to a crash landing on a tropical planet.
What if a serial killer gets in the hotel, will that stop us going to Galaxies Edge? Those surviving the serial killer will receive a special Darth Maul pin and a cupcake.
What if food poisoning kills half the guests, will the survivors be able to continue on or will Disney force them to stop? Food poisoning does not occur in Disney facilities. WDW lawyers will, however, assist surviving guests in suing the on-property McDonalds.
What if a stunt performer breaks his leg upsetting my kid, do we get $3,000 back for the potential PTSD? Your kid gets to practice first aid procedures, at no additional cost.
What if I soil my costume, will a CM discretely bring me a new one within 10 seconds and if not will I get a full refund? Soiled costumes will be replaced upon payment of the toilet access fee.
What if I enjoy it even though I only went after hearing how terrible it was from people who haven't experienced it. Will I get a full refund as I'll look a bit stupid having to admit I actually liked it? NO REFUNDS.

Get the idea? :D

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

There are a lot of things that might break immersion, like exit signs.

Nothing can be 100% immersive when it's all artificial.

Is this something you truly can't comprehend, or are you just trolling?
Immersive is the word that Disney used the most when it used to promote this experience. It had been known as a company that went to painstaking detail in its themed environments to not have any touchstones that pull you out of those experiences, down to the doorknobs.

Over the last few days many of us have begun to wonder how this “most immersive“ experience they’ve promised will hold up in practice. It’s not trolling to question whether this is a value proposition given the promises made and the extremely high costs that go along with it.

You really don’t see how watching the same cable feeds in this room as you would see in Art of Animation or any other resort hotel (stop calling it a cruise) could diminish all those other efforts?

JoeCamel

Immersive is the word that Disney used the most when it used to promote this experience. It had been known as a company that went to painstaking detail in its themed environments to not have any touchstones that pull you out of those experiences, down to the doorknobs.

Over the last few days many of us have begun to wonder how this “most immersive“ experience they’ve promised will hold up in practice. It’s not trolling to question whether this is a value proposition given the promises made and the extremely high costs that go along with it.

You really don’t see how watching the same cable feeds in this room as you would see in Art of Animation or any other resort hotel (stop calling it a cruise) could diminish all those other efforts?
Well yeah it is cringe to this point but maybe we don't know? Sure you would think they would highlight the best of the experience and we know what they showed was garbage, but it might turn out to be the 33 club level worth it (yeah that cost is crazy too) BUT DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO PUSH IT POST AFTER POST??
We get it, you made up your mind it is hot **** but until it "sails" no one really knows. You don't need to keep reposting the same opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Immersive is the word that Disney used the most when it used to promote this experience.
This is utter ridiculousness. We've been through this with the ramp guy.

Disney also says their park is a Magic Kingdom and it's neither magical, because magic doesn't exist, nor is it a land governed by a monarchy.

The stretch here to land an Disney-hater blow by purposely taking words to their literal extreme for a make-believe event ranks among the top ten dumb posts I've seen.

But let me tell you something: When you go to Epcot, you don't actually visit France or Italy.

dreamfinder912

For those who LARP - how do you handle an experience with such a dramatic range of experiences, ages, and expectations? What if little seven-year-old Johnny says he is Super Captain Gandalf Potter Skywalker and he’s the most powerful Jedi ever and he gets to do whatever he wants? Can other, experienced LARPers with appropriate, nuanced characters ignore his character? Redefine it? Can CMs tell him he can’t do certain things if he insists his character can? How do you avoid that descending into conflict?

It's right up there with "Andy's coming" for me...if someone is doing something obnoxious or taking things too far...don't engage. That's how I handle that kinda thing. Just move on. Eventually they'll give up on getting attention from you and go find another audience. The CMs will have the same control here as anywhere else. People do all sorts of dumb crap on Batuu for the sake of their own entertainment. A few quips from a storm trooper works sometimes, being completely ignored works other times.

EPCOT-O.G.

This is utter ridiculousness. We've been through this with the ramp guy.

Disney also says their park is a Magic Kingdom and it's neither magical, because magic doesn't exist, nor is it a land governed by a monarchy.

The stretch here to land an Disney-hater blow by purposely taking words to their literal extreme for a make-believe event ranks among the top ten dumb posts I've seen.

But let me tell you something: When you go to Epcot, you don't actually visit France or Italy.
Look, I get these are tough times for you and Joe Camel. You’re both clearly very invested in the success of this given how quickly you rally to it’s defense. You’ve internalized this so much you keep calling it a “cruise” when it doesn’t fit any conventional definition of such a thing. But now you want to quibble over semantics.

Disney has promised over and over this is an immersive experience, and is charging a hefty premium. Based on what’s been shown so far, it is not up to snuff when it comes to even baseline theming that we’ve come to expect, and open questions as to how the immersion can hold up given the vagaries of resort guests needs and interests.

Why is it so difficult to question whether a premium experience appears to hit the goals they themselves set out when it comes to the sorts of experiences this promises and the theming standards set by this company in the past?

TP2000

Disney's hotel website says that the rooms will be equipped with "a TV with entertainment from your home planet", which is how they'll explain that bit of mystery.

Although the TV signals traveling from our Milky Way galaxy to the Star Wars galaxy would take millions of years from now to get there, and Star Wars takes place in the distant past long before commercial Television was invented on Earth in the 1930's, so there's that timeline problem too. You're in your cabin in a galaxy millions of light years away watching Orlando TV stations from thousands of years in the distant future?

The first regular TV broadcasts from the 1939 World's Fair would only be about 80 light years from Earth by now. I Love Lucy episodes are 60 light years out, Three's Company is 40 light years out, Ross is breaking up with Rachel again 20 light years out, etc. The Milky Way Galaxy is over 150,000 light years across, and the next closest galaxy is 2.5 Million light years away.

The specific mention of "H20 Plus spa, bath and shower products" also makes me chuckle. I'm immersed!

H20.png

I think the DoorDash delivery from Cheesecake Factory conundrum that @TrojanUSC came up with is going to be funnier to deal with than why the Charlotte Hornets game and Let's Make A Deal is on the ship's TV. 🤣

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Disney's hotel website says that the rooms will be equipped with "a TV with entertainment from your home planet", which is how they'll explain that bit of mystery.

Although the TV signals traveling from our Milky Way galaxy to the Star Wars galaxy would take many thousands of years from now to get there, and Star Wars takes place in the distant past long before commercial Television was invented on Earth in the 1930's, so there's that timeline problem too. You're in your cabin in a galaxy tens of thousands of light years away watching Orlando TV stations from thousands of years in the distant future?

The specific mention of "H20 Plus spa, bath and shower products" also makes me chuckle. I'm immersed!

View attachment 613851

I think the DoorDash delivery from Cheesecake Factory conundrum that @TrojanUSC came up with is going to be funnier to deal with than why the Charlotte Hornets game and Let's Make A Deal is on the ship's TV. 🤣

Honestly having it mention the H2O products and a phone as amenities when they are at every property made me question if they have that little to offer. Not even values mention H20 products. Seems like they have a set minimum number of amenities to list and they ran out of things to include. Not even the values bother to mention it.

TP2000

Honestly having it mention the H2O products and a phone as amenities when they are at every property made me question if they have that little to offer. Not even values mention H20 products. Seems like they have a set minimum number of amenities to list and they ran out of things to include. Not even the values bother to mention it.

Yeah, no kidding.

I saw the H20 mention on their website a few weeks ago and I thought "Really? You guys are claiming that as an amenity for your Star Wars hotel thing??? There's nothing else you wanna talk about instead?"

It stuck out to me more than the TV thing...

Until just now when I realized that Star Wars is millions of light years away from Earth and in the distant past, so how are they getting Let's Make A Deal episodes from 2022 to appear on my cabin's TV screen? 🤣

And mentioning that each room has a phone is just... odd.

D1028_38_979_1200.jpg

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

This discussion has gotten more bizarre than the "will the Skyliner have A/C or not" thread.

They are not going to be blocking cell phone signals or preventing cell phone use. I mean, I know there's no news right now, but come on.

Has anyone looked at the availability calendar lately?
Well, I for one, am simply waiting patiently for Ann Morrow's next promotional video. it's as exciting as waiting for the next Mandalorian episode. Will they introduce a baby stormtrooper into it? I can't wait to find out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom