News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

techgeek

I'm not sure why people are discussing blocking signals -- regardless of whether it's illegal or anything else, Disney has already shown that an app on your phone is part of the experience, thus people will need to actually have their phones working.

Not only that, wireless communication between cast is going to be essential for show production and general operations.

Disney (with cell service provider partnerships) installs repeaters inside structures all the time to address dead zones that could interfere with operations and communication.

TikibirdLand

Florida Building Code 917.1
Florida Fire Prevention Code, NFPA 1 11.10

[F]917.1General.​

Emergency responder radio coverage shall be provided in all new buildings in accordance with the Florida Fire Prevention Code.
From my read, it only states emergency radio converage has to be made. That's not in the cellular spectrum.

I'm not sure why people are discussing blocking signals -- regardless of whether it's illegal or anything else, Disney has already shown that an app on your phone is part of the experience, thus people will need to actually have their phones working.
Disney will likely be using their own dedicated wifi for that. That way, they'll limit who has access to it. And, it likely wouldn't have internet access at the same time.

Not only that, wireless communication between cast is going to be essential for show production and general operations.

Disney (with cell service provider partnerships) installs repeaters inside structures all the time to address dead zones that could interfere with operations and communication.
I don't think they'll be doing any kind of special blocking, frankly. I was simply noting things they could do, not would do. BTW, you can configure zoom to be available only on your local network. So, cast could use the subnet as noted above for communication. That SID would have to be available where they'd be (i.e. back areas). We're doing this with Meraki APs today.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You can block radio signals at the outer parts of a structure without blocking it internally... and you'd use wifi internally.

Incomudro

There were people who were saying that Disney wasn't going to allow you to have phones in Galaxy's Edge either.
This whole thing's kind of silly.
Disney is going to discourage people from video recording this entire thing.
But like every other place in and outside WDW, where filming is discouraged.
People are going to do it.
No one is going to take your phone from you or block signals.
I say this as a guy who really doesn't care much for phones, wishes we didn't need them as part of the Disney experience, (Genie) and wouldn't even leave home with his phone were it not for its value in emergency situations.

Cesar R M

For those who LARP - how do you handle an experience with such a dramatic range of experiences, ages, and expectations? What if little seven-year-old Johnny says he is Super Captain Gandalf Potter Skywalker and he’s the most powerful Jedi ever and he gets to do whatever he wants? Can other, experienced LARPers with appropriate, nuanced characters ignore his character? Redefine it? Can CMs tell him he can’t do certain things if he insists his character can? How do you avoid that descending into conflict?
Pretty easily.. Darth Vader comes.. pulls another Jedi purge.. problem solved.
On to the next lawsuit! :D

Cesar R M

Phones working is one thing. Some tuber Full streaming while holding their camera on the face of the actors is another.

They could be doing what DCL and many other cruisers do.
Internet is charged separately but they can still use the app and the wifi to book stuff from inside the cruise (like reservations or to room orders)

mightynine

This discussion has gotten more bizarre than the "will the Skyliner have A/C or not" thread.

They are not going to be blocking cell phone signals or preventing cell phone use. I mean, I know there's no news right now, but come on.

Has anyone looked at the availability calendar lately?
March appears to be sold out (but they are past their cancellation point, right?), but plenty of Starcrusin' seats available after that. You could almost say it's a galaxy of availablity!

Screenshot 2022-01-13 160642.png

Screenshot 2022-01-13 160718.png

Screenshot 2022-01-13 160753.png

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

March appears to be sold out (but they are past their cancellation point, right?), but plenty of Starcrusin' seats available after that. You could almost say it's a galaxy of availablity!

Cue the usual suspects who will decry that this doesn't prove widespread availability, it just means that, in terms of availability or cancellations, the vacancy is....

oneaday.png

TP2000

At this price tag, they'd better not just be into it, but salivating over it and craving the story immersion non stop until checkout.

Yes, you would think. But for the demographics that can easily afford this in the first place, there's going to be plenty of spouses and teenagers and hangers-on that just aren't going to be in it to win it.

There are people who book cliffside suites for $2,000 per night at the Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach, and then want to order a room service cheeseburger and stream movies on the room's TV all day instead of look at the view or explore the hotel. (Trust me, I knew one.) Even though they spent a small fortune to surround themselves in an ultra-luxury cliffside hotel with endless amenities and fine dining in some of the most gorgeous scenery on planet Earth.

Hotel Montage Laguna Beach, Orange County, California
mlb-og.jpg

Likewise, whether we understand it or not, there will be people who check into the Galactic Starcruiser with their family, and on the morning of the second day they'll sleep in and miss the bus transport to Batuu. Then they'll wander out to the lobby at Noon and ask a Chandrila Star Lines agent how to get to Disney Springs while their husband and kids do the Star Wars rides.

200 tourists per night, and it's going to happen. I just wonder if Disney has thought about how to accommodate guests who aren't 100% committed to the Star Wars Dress Up Hotel their husband or their secretary booked?

Last edited:

Incomudro

Yes, you would think. But for the demographics that can easily afford this in the first place, there's going to be plenty of spouses and teenagers and hangers-on that just aren't going to be in it to win it.

There are people who book cliffside suites for $2,000 per night at the Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach, and then want to order a room service cheeseburger and stream movies on the room's TV all day instead of look at the view or explore the hotel. (Trust me, I knew one.) Even though they spent a small fortune to surround themselves in an ultra-luxury cliffside hotel with endless amenities and fine dining in some of the most gorgeous scenery on planet Earth.

Hotel Montage Laguna Beach, Orange County, California
mlb-og.jpg

Likewise, whether we understand it or not, there will be people who check into the Galactic Starcruiser with their family, and on the morning of the second day they'll sleep in and miss the bus transport to Batuu. Then they'll wander out to the lobby at Noon and ask a Chandrila Star Lines agent how to get to Disney Springs while their husband and kids do the Star Wars rides.

200 tourists per night, and it's going to happen. I just wonder if Disney has thought about how to accommodate guests who aren't 100% committed to the Star Wars Dress Up Hotel their husband or their secretary booked?
You're correct, but those people will just hang out in their rooms, or the lounge.
If they're really upset, Disney will let the out.
It's not a prison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom