News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

drizgirl

This is all very true.

What’s even more significant for me is the WIDE OPEN availability later this summer. For many months not a single sellout is showing. The normal reaction by Disney would be to do what it had been (and was planning on) doing: promote the heck out of this thing. Instead, they appear to have shelved and canned their entire promotional efforts, months leading up to its opening. That would suggest they realized what they were advertising was not only NOT selling the product, but it was actively dissuading those who had already made reservations.

We can only make inferences based on the evidence we have. The evidence we have shows increasing availability for previously sold out months, apparent wide open availability for the mid to late summer, and no public effort by Disney to sell people on this experience as presently offered.
Maybe time for a new "Ahora!" campaign?

GimpYancIent

Too late now. Marketing fumbled this one, bad. The handling of bookings (now with hindsight) was also calculated to make it appear soooo many afficionados were clamoring to book that extensive wait times occurred, potential travelers would have to wait in queue for an opportunity to speak to someone and then may end up on some kind of wait list. Now it is clear there was no high volume of guests wanting to book and the pricing model was causing the "Is it worth it?" to cross people's minds. Then the outlined official itinerary and activities that was presented, well simply put, underwhelming. As I said, too late now, Disney has to go with what they have and hope the CM's actually doing the work pull it off. It will need to be a WOW! performance.

fryoj

That's what I was thinking. I doubt that they would pay for something that expensive if they really didn't want to go.
There's plenty of people out there who $10k is not that big of a deal to drop. There will be families that book with family members who are disinterested. There will be plenty that book, give it a try and are like meh, I'm not doing this. I'm sure they will have contingencies for all of these scenarios.

GimpYancIent

There's plenty of people out there who $10k is not that big of a deal to drop. There will be families that book with family members who are disinterested. There will be plenty that book, give it a try and are like meh, I'm not doing this. I'm sure they will have contingencies for all of these scenarios.
Yep! There are people that have no issue dropping $10K or more for an experience just to (well) experience it. If it is not a good experience it is simply not repeated, and they talk bad about it. Where I have my doubts is with the handling of situations that develop not part of the immersive program thus far Disney has been slipping in their responses.

KrzyKtty

True, and they probably will have contingencies. But I still think that is going to be extraordinarily rare. In that scenario I would more expect the mother and daughter to decide to go to The Grand Floridian for 3 days and let the boys play their make believe. Or the reverse...

TP2000

In this scenario, I don't know why the mom and daughter wouldn't just stay at a separate hotel for those two nights so they could do whatever they wanted.

Totally get that, but you know there will be families who don't do that. I would normally assume they've thought through that scenario that will play out daily, but from what we've seen so far in their pre-opening media the people in charge of this hotel apparently aren't very bright. I no longer can just assume they've thought stuff through.

I mean, my God, in 2019 there were still people confused about what Fastpass was. 20 years after that product launched. They weren't stupid people, they just didn't do hours of online research before they went to Disneyland or Epcot for the day.

Put 200 people from around the country in a hotel for the night, and there's going to be some in the mix who want to walk out and go over to Disney Springs for a few hours or want to go watch fireworks or do something different.

They've got to realize that not every single guest in every single "cabin" is going to be 100% committed to this thing. Someone's gonna want to go get a cheeseburger during a planned "Unexpected Story Moment!".

RoadiJeff

From what I read in the Disney app, a guest will have several choices on how they want to interact. One of them is to just sit back, sip a cocktail and watch it all from a safe distance.

cruiser-1.jpg
cruiser-2.jpg

TP2000

From what I read in the Disney app, a guest will have several choices on how they want to interact. One of them is to just sit back, sip a cocktail and watch it all from a safe distance.

Wine Moms of the Galaxy, unite! 🍷

If I were to do this Galactic Starcruiser thing, and now I can't imagine why I ever would, after I got my picture taken with Chewbacca and a Stormtrooper I would probably just go hang out in the bar with the Wine Moms.

EPCOT-O.G.

Put 200 people from around the country in a hotel for the night, and there's going to be some in the mix who want to walk out and go over to Disney Springs for a few hours or want to go watch fireworks or do something different.

They've got to realize that not every single guest in every single "cabin" is going to be 100% committed to this thing. Someone's gonna want to go get a cheeseburger during a planned "Unexpected Story Moment!".
You know about the Grand Californian? Welcome to the Grand Hotel California…you can check in any time you’d like - but you can never leave!

Cesar R M

The good news is they're using Storm Troopers to carry that out. So, not one person was hit.

Pew, Pew.... Oh, missed AGAIN!
BUT.. BUT.. SIR.. THEY ARE IN SPACE.. THEY BLAST A WINDOW AND NOW EVERYONE IS DEAD.. TRULY MAGICAL(tm).

Chapek will cry in horror..as if hundreds of wallets were spaced out and were suddenly moneyless, he never felt such fear before. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Cesar R M

I do wonder how they handle hotel guests who don't want to play along, or don't follow the itinerary and "rules". Because that's gonna happen.

Dad and 10 year old son may be super into it and follow the itinerary to the letter, but mom and 15 year old daughter are not. Mom wants to sit in her cabin watching TV and doing some work on her laptop, and after a few hours on the ship daughter leaves and goes to Disney Springs and then wants to get back to the ship at 10pm.

Is mom forced to leave the ship in the morning with everyone else, or can she hang out in her cabin all day and then go and try and find a late lunch in the hotel somewhere? Is teenage daughter allowed back to the ship after the shuttle service to Star Wars Land ends? Can she just take a Disney bus to the hotel lobby and go back "up" via the transfer pod anytime?

I'm sure they've thought of that. You'll have some folks who just aren't into it and decide not to follow the itinerary, or want to leave or move about at inconvenient times. What's the process there exactly I wonder?
In my opinion it could be worse.

There are countless of morons and try hard trolls from different groups (like reddit, youtube..etc..) that will try to disrupt on purpose to cause reactions. Those who specifically confront or sabotage for a quick laugh and their 5 minutes of fame.
I think this is why its critical to disallow the phone usage inside the hotel itself.

TikibirdLand

In my opinion it could be worse.

There are countless of morons and try hard trolls from different groups (like reddit, youtube..etc..) that will try to disrupt on purpose to cause reactions. Those who specifically confront or sabotage for a quick laugh and their 5 minutes of fame.
I think this is why its critical to disallow the phone usage inside the hotel itself.
I, personally, would like to know fully about the experience. That means photos, just like we do in the parks and other hotels. Are the cabins as cramped as they looked in the concept art? Is the hallway really that horrid as that video? Do you magically fade out and back in as you walk into the cantina where that lady sang? Is there a live band? Does the bridge really look as bad as we saw? It can't be. What did they do to simulate the "engineering" of the ship? Are they showing anything of it to guests? What's the brig look like (especially if I'm gonna end up there asking so many moronic questions!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom