News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

celluloid

That's a work-issued device and it's almost certainly being used to answer a guest question like "where can I find XYZ," which that cast member wouldn't have been able to answer without the device.

Possibly. I can't tell if the second part of your post is sarcasm becuase of Telecasts. That is why i give the benefit of the doubt, but we had Telecasts for years for that reason. I am sure they are easier to utilize for some, but I prefer the Telecast for optics and guest service for the rare detailed question. Universal still does this method.

sullyinMT

Could it be that they are planning to bring back a dining plan that you can purchase (obviously for a higher cost than it was pre pandemic) so that it seems better value as prices have increased? That way they would tend to keep the guests in the park?
Glad I read 'til the end before I posted. Because I had the same thought.

DDP comes back early '22. They'll need to make those a "value," so these price increases were necessary. And, of course, our UK friends with their dining GC have seen a major decrease to the overall value of said card today.

M:SpilotISTC12

I am proud to be the Magic for Chapek.
1641842373331.jpeg

sullyinMT

View attachment 613138

Nothing against the Cast Member personally, but I really find this is picture to capture issues with the way things have become expectations wise. Even if the cell phone there is used for work, it is not a good look. Leaning on a celluar device.

Benefit of the doubt again, maybe they are helping a guest with their phone, probably something work related and it is a hard job, but it is wild to capture in a photo prices increasing all at once and leaning over a counter on a cellphone device. As a former CM this is wild to me and is beyond the visual changes or price increases.
She now has plenty of free time, 'cuz nobody in their right mind is paying $12 for a White Claw, or $5 for a Coke. Oh, wait, unprecedented demand ...

castlecake2.0

View attachment 613138

Nothing against the Cast Member personally, but I really find this is picture to capture issues with the way things have become expectations wise. Even if the cell phone there is used for work, it is not a good look. Leaning on a celluar device.

Benefit of the doubt again, maybe they are helping a guest with their phone, probably something work related and it is a hard job, but it is wild to capture in a photo prices increasing all at once and leaning over a counter on a cellphone device. As a former CM this is wild to me and is beyond the visual changes or price increases.
These are issued to people working stands to communicate with leaders and request stock along with accessing park information. She shouldn’t be leaning though.

CaptainAmerica

Possibly. I can't tell if the second part of your post is sarcasm becuase of Telecasts. That is why i give the benefit of the doubt, but we had Telecasts for years for that reason. I am sure they are easier to utilize for some, but I prefer the Telecast for optics and guest service for the rare detailed question. Universal still does this method.
Telecasts might be better Show, but much worse Courtesy and Efficiency.

A Telecast can tell you where the next Donald Duck meet-and-greet will be, but it can't tell you if the 50th Anniversary Spirit Jersey is in stock at Bayview Gifts.

ToTBellHop

View attachment 613138

I thought this, too. Her posture is problematic even if this is work related (I presume it is).

sullyinMT

These are issued to people working stands to communicate with leaders and request stock along with accessing park information. She shouldn’t be leaning though.
Just a suggestion, from an optics standpoint. Because I agree that CM on a device is a terrible look, leaning or not.

Could those devices be tied to a BT earpiece of sorts with a virtual assistant for messaging leaders about stock and other needs? Accessing park info for a guest is understandable, with a quick "Let me look that up for you." It doesn't give the impression of an aloof CM dinking around on a digital device that way.

The fact that this is even a conversation shows just how much digital has ruined the human interactive experience in many ways.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
they should install a small monitor displaying this for each customer after the cm’s ring u up…
View attachment 613144
makes it more magical

And maybe add Mickey at the entrance tap points saying, "Hey pal! Thanks for paying so much money to be here today! I hope you have a magical day!" (Of course, no one would still be standing there after the first 8-9 words...)

CaptainAmerica

Accessing park info for a guest is understandable, with a quick "Let me look that up for you."
There's almost certainly a guest standing just outside of the cropped photo.

It doesn't give the impression of an aloof CM dinking around on a digital device that way.
Are you under the impression that these work-issued devices are loaded with a CM's personal email and Candy Crush? They aren't.

Glad I read 'til the end before I posted. Because I had the same thought.

DDP comes back early '22. They'll need to make those a "value," so these price increases were necessary. And, of course, our UK friends with their dining GC have seen a major decrease to the overall value of said card today.
I'm in the UK and have booked the dining credits deal for August - it won't go as far now as it was - and it wasn't going very far as it is! But I guess we should be grateful that we even got that!
We just got back from WDW a week ago and it hurt paying $6 for an ice cream! We went to Walmart to stock up on drinks to take to the parks. And will be doing so again in August.

G00fyDad

Really?
It really bothers people if the Cast Member is using that device to check stock in another store for someone? (like they do in Target - they have those devices)
I wouldn't think twice about it! In fact I'd be thrilled that they were even bothering to check rather than just telling me no. 😂

Aside from whether I think it is appropriate for a CM to be on a cell phone or not, that is a cell phone. Not one of the small thick black store scanning devices you see in Target or Wal-Mart.
61YDd1tfwzL._SL1000.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom