Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

I guess that was a shot at minimizing the severity of the virus but small pox immunity was developed after a person contracted cowpox. So they deliberately introduced cowpox into people. I don't think chickenpox is comparable.
With chickenpox, back in the day before the vaccine,, when 1 kid in the circle of friends came down with chickenpox, the circle of friends would all get together with the goal of infecting the uninfected. Kind of forced herd immunity

correcaminos

Thanks. It was kind of hard because they were pretty determined to go ahead, then cancelled after I gave them an update on how Omicron was behaving with vaccinated and boosted people. And had to tell them our fully vaccinated son had an exposure a week before, and had a remote possibility of exposing us. It was just a big old mess of remote possibilities of maybe this or that happening. We volunteered to bow out completely but they still cancelled. Then I had a big old fight with my sister we might never come back from.

It's all just so damn complicated. But I still feel very strongly that people should be able to make these hard decisions for themselves.
Cancer does complicate things too - covid or not. I remember getting a flu shot for my mom when she had cancer. We had to be careful even just during cold and flu season. Good luck balancing as she goes through treatments. You'll soon find your groove.

correcaminos

With chickenpox, back in the day before the vaccine,, when 1 kid in the circle of friends came down with chickenpox, the circle of friends would all get together with the goal of infecting the uninfected. Kind of forced herd immunity
Not in my circle. As a 44 year old I have actually been vaccinated for chicken pox. Never had it and as I got older the fear of being bad off was real.
Last time I checked, ya don’t go on a ventilator and drop dead from the chickenpox.
It can cause death and hospitalization. Hence my comment above.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Cancer does complicate things too - covid or not. I remember getting a flu shot for my mom when she had cancer. We had to be careful even just during cold and flu season. Good luck balancing as she goes through treatments. You'll soon find your groove.
Very true. My family member is battling multiple myeloma w/ regular treatments , didn't have much side effects on three Moderna shots but had a rough time w/ side effects after the flu shot.

LittleBuford

Are you sharing this simply because you think it's interesting or because you think people should be aiming to catch COVID to achieve herd immunity? The purpose of your posts mystifies me. It really feels like low-level trolling sometimes. I hate saying that, because accusations of trolling are used far too often in this forum to dismiss unpopular opinions, but there is something consistently odd and indirect about your comments.

JoeCamel

But not one variant causing immunity to another variant, the kids still got chicken pox. Its the same strain of the same virus, this is the basis for immunology with the finding they could make/use a weaker version of something to "inoculate" a person against severe disease.

correcaminos

Very true. My family member is battling multiple myeloma w/ regular treatments , didn't have much side effects on three Moderna shots but had a rough time w/ side effects after the flu shot.
MM is what my MIL was diagnosed with earlier this year. Had Pfizer-BioNTech IIRC and had no issues at all. But I do worry that treatment has made all vaccines less effective. Not sure how or if flu shot was taken. Vague commenting here but some things we thought we were being told about, we were not. And some things we thought were true are not. Kind of thrown us as I do not know exactly what to believe with the illness and such now specifically for my MIL.

LittleBuford

I have never heard of that nor experienced it growing up. I wonder where your evidence or facts come from sometimes. I’m 59 and this is the first time I ever heard of someone catching chicken pox getting together to infect others. Incredible.
This was (is?) a thing—he isn't making it up. When I was growing up in the UK, I remember it being considered normal and good when you caught chicken pox from other children, because it meant you finally had it out of the way. I didn't even know there was a vaccine until well into adulthood.

Still, none of this has any bearing on COVID.

ETA: Note the date of this article, which suggests that chickenpox parties are far from unusual in the UK:

Last edited:

correcaminos

This was (is?) a thing—he isn't making it up. When I was growing up in the UK, I remember it being considered normal and good when you caught chicken pox from other children, because it meant you finally had it out of the way. I didn't even know there was a vaccine until well into adulthood.

Still, none of this has any bearing on COVID.
It was a thing for some but not all. In all areas I lived in none of my friends participated in it. I had heard of it, but pox parties seemed to be more of a legend in my areas than reality. Some did, but most did not. I didn't specifically avoid it - but never had it. I think my siblings didn't either. Vaccines were approved when I was 18 here in the US (1995) and it took me until I was 22 to get it. Most because doctors didn't know what to do with an adult. They still don't know what to do with me and shingles lol. I think it took a while for it to become required for schools. By the time my son was born (07) it was standard for school required vaccines. Agree nothing to do with covid really

Covid related. Friend triple boosted got covid from kid. One day of headache and small cough. Slightly stuffy only after just over a day. Very good news to me how mild it is.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It was a thing for some but not all. In all areas I lived in none of my friends participated in it. I had heard of it, but pox parties seemed to be more of a legend in my areas than reality. Some did, but most did not. I didn't specifically avoid it - but never had it. I think my siblings didn't either. Vaccines were approved when I was 18 here in the US (1995) and it took me until I was 21 to get it. Most because doctors didn't know what to do with an adult. They still don't know what to do with me and shingles lol. I think it took a while for it to become required for schools. By the time my son was born (07) it was standard for school required vaccines. Agree nothing to do with covid really

Covid related. Friend triple boosted got covid from kid. One day of headache and small cough. Slightly stuffy only after just over a day. Very good news to me how mild it is.
I edited my post to add something that suggests there's a transatlantic difference at play here.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but glad it's mild!

DisneyDebRob

It was a thing for some but not all. In all areas I lived in none of my friends participated in it. I had heard of it, but pox parties seemed to be more of a legend in my areas than reality. Some did, but most did not. I didn't specifically avoid it - but never had it. I think my siblings didn't either. Vaccines were approved when I was 18 here in the US (1995) and it took me until I was 21 to get it. Most because doctors didn't know what to do with an adult. They still don't know what to do with me and shingles lol. I think it took a while for it to become required for schools. By the time my son was born (07) it was standard for school required vaccines. Agree nothing to do with covid really

If it was going on I didn’t hear about it or know about it. I actually called my mom who just turned 80 and she thought I was joking with her when I asked her. She said she never knew anyone that did that. It must have been rare and maybe in certain parts of the world but not in our area.

correcaminos

If it was going on I didn’t hear about it or know about it. I actually called my mom who just turned 80 and she thought I was joking with her when I asked her. She said she never knew anyone that did that. It must have been rare and maybe in certain parts of the world but not in our area.
I know of relatives or friends of friends who did but no one I knew. I do think it happened for some.

I edited my post to add something that suggests there's a transatlantic difference at play here.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but glad it's mild!
I just saw the article. It baffles me why the UK was so dragging (? Not sure that's the word I want but go with it) on chicken pox vaccination. I definitely had no choice in vaccinating my kid but I would've anyway if anything for me. I do like that my risk is different for shingles and at the moment maybe a third dose of chicken pox is all I need. Anyway tangent here but I'm with you, I think chicken pox for kids is a different ball game as a whole vs covid. While as a triple vaxxed adult I don't have much fear actually of getting covid, I don't push for that either.

Thanks for the well wishes for my friend. They're all about being in the interest of honesty and I appreciate hearing their story. Just like my friend with sick covid baby. These are realities to listen to. Better for me than faceless names to me.

Oddly the friend who has the baby - a friend of that friend shared their family's unvaccinated issues. Unsure of omicron or delta but they lost one of their elders (being vague I don't know this person to ask if I can be specific) and most adults probably 30-40s based on pics were very bad off and hospitalized. This is why I continue to push for vaccines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom