News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

mattpeto

What are the chances Disney reopens the trains in 2022 and makes a big ballyhoo about them returning as part of the 50th, basically selling them as an almost-new attraction, as a way to partially cover pushing Tron to 2023?
I think TRON pivots to 2023.

They can make it part of their 100 year celebration and is a good way to draw a crowd post Guardians.

Surferboy567

Why should he? It's just some nondescript coaster somewhere, that maybe is from some sci-fi/fantasy movie.*

*It worked for Iger...
Too be fair, they at least acknowledged it’s existence at Destination D23. So at least they are still aware of it. Such a shame it probably won’t open for another year or year and a half.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I have also pointed that out before. I am siding with no for Lightning codes of the immediate 5-10 mile area that most outdoor attractions have.
Um... doesn't the metal frame of the canopy serve as a big lightning rod over the outdoor portion of the track?

celluloid

Um... doesn't the metal frame of the canopy serve as a big lightning rod over the outdoor portion of the track?
There is a common misconception of how lightning rods work. They do not avoid lightning striking where it wants to. Most people die when they are struck by secondary strikes. Lightning Rods are geared more towards protecting infastructure from power surges and fires, not preventing lightning death.

You hear about High School Sports deaths in Florida. Some even to motor cyclists on the highway. Someone my brother knew died at its HS Football field when the child was going back out to get his equipment after some practice drills. That lightning killed him and he was surrounded by taller metal structures, the stadium, the lights and more. He was struck and killed by a bolt.

Another example. The Statue of Liberty. What it is made of, its height etc. Look where most of the strike is.

I don't know what Disney has planned for sure. Maybe the feel the cover is enough. But lightning strikes, particularly the secondary, strikes where it "wants."

And besides just death, there are the ground currents, which the structure may assist with if not directly touching. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/PainManagement/story?id=7759950&page=1#:~:text=Secondary Exposure Can Be Deadly, Too&text=Ground currents, which occur when,50 percent of lightning injuries.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Someone my brother knew died at its HS Football field when the child was going back out to get his equipment after some practice drills. That lightning killed him and he was surrounded by taller metal structures, the stadium, the lights and more. He was struck and killed by a bolt.
Surrounded by, but not covered. I'm no engineer, but it seems to me all that metal over the outdoor tracks would count as "cover."

And those in the train should be isolated from "ground currents" by the track supports, the track, the chassis of the "bikes" and the bike bodies.

celluloid

Surrounded by, but not covered. I'm no engineer, but it seems to me all that metal over the outdoor tracks would count as "cover."

Makes sense, and that may be the difference. I was just clarifying that would be shelter, not a lightning rod at work. I did not mean to quote as if attacking the logic of safety. I am curious to see how operations choose to do that.

The type of Lightning danger known as "streamers" or "side strike" would be the concerns when something is a weak or open shelter. https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-struck
We had problems with this at Universal Entertainment before when I was there and arguing for actor and crew's safety and had a guy argue that there were taller buildings and structures in the area so we were safe in the closest lightning weather call we had.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
45 minutes ago.

89B5F893-375D-4D32-B87C-B12DAB3F4752.jpeg
481BBAE4-53C9-460F-A346-CD286943FAD1.jpeg

celluloid

When does that start? October 2023? Or all of 2023? But isn't the 50th still going in 2023? How many times can I say 2023? :D

You are now invited to join the ultimate Disney fan club D20-23! If you join after December 31st and pay an annual fee, you can be a member of D20-23 for a part of 2023.

JMcMahonEsq

They could open Tron this spring if they wanted to, and they should.
Opening Tron in the spring would be a horrible move. They don’t need the bump in attendance or PR for a new ride then. You will still have the 50th anniversary hype going, along with the natural bump in attendance for spring break. Couple that with an increase in travel post the flu/Covid winter numbers and you will be set for Q1 2022. The summer then brings Guardians opening so you don’t want to compete with that event/attendance bump. Best guess you hold tron until the later half of the 50th anniversary period to hold attendance figures. Depending on the state of design, you also likely try to link the closing of splash mountain for re-skinning to the tron opening to soften the blow of one of your premier rides being down.

mattpeto

When does that start? October 2023? Or all of 2023? But isn't the 50th still going in 2023? How many times can I say 2023? :D
They just said 18 months for the 50th, but the end date was kind of open ended. 18 months from October would end on March 2023. So April 1st 2023 is the earliest they could transition from 50th to 100 year stuff.

Your old friend andyman, said there are some considerations to extend the 50th celebration, although it's early and fluid.

dreday3

They just said 18 months for the 50th, but the end date was kind of open ended. 18 months from October would end on March 2023. So April 1st 2023 is the earliest they could transition from 50th to 100 year stuff.

Your old friend andyman, said there are some considerations to extend the 50th celebration, although it's early and fluid.

We will be there April 2023. Would be weird to have celebrated the 50th in October 2021 and April 2023! 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom