News Reimagined Toontown coming

Disney Analyst

The main launch pad was always far enough away to be safe in ToonTown...it was the secondary launchers on the front of the building behind ToonTown that was the issue. The new secondary launchers should be 200 ft away from inhabitable space in TT now.

Ooh had no idea. Anyone able to source some old satellite images?

TP2000

I wish they'd do this in WDW. They have the perfect place (imho) on Mainstreet USA but I doubt this will ever come back to Florida. Maybe if my family takes a trip to California one day we might se this. :(

It's a shame Walt didn't buy up more land in Florida when he had the chance. If Walt had bought more land out there, they'd be able to build a park with just as many rides as Disneyland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's a shame Walt didn't buy up more land in Florida when he had the chance. If Walt had bought more land out there, they'd be able to build a park with just as many rides as Disneyland.
I know you know, but in case there's a gentle reader out there who might be confused: The four parks in Orlando has as many 'rides' as the two parks in Anaheim (plus a lot more 'attractions').

Cesar R M

Are there any dates regarding the removal?
I'm wondering if I should schedule a visit, since I have never been to Disneyland myself.

mickEblu

Are there any dates regarding the removal?
I'm wondering if I should schedule a visit, since I have never been to Disneyland myself.

March 2022 but no exact date yet. I assume you mean the land closure? I’ve been speculating that they may be closing Roger but that hasn’t been confirmed.

Dear Prudence

I just watched a bunch of documentaries about the making of Who Framed Roger Rabbit last night. Toontown literally exists because of Roger. Removing or down playing Roger makes no sense, but since nothing they do operates in the realms of logic and, well, reality, ....*shrug*

I will say WFRR is such a brilliantly written film, and the inability to see how sophisticated the writing and characterizations are is a personal problem. It has a lot of empathy, compassion, and emotional intelligence as a film, and I think that's thanks to both the Eisner era meeting Spielberg.

mharrington

I just watched a bunch of documentaries about the making of Who Framed Roger Rabbit last night. Toontown literally exists because of Roger. Removing or down playing Roger makes no sense, but since nothing they do operates in the realms of logic and, well, reality, ....*shrug*

Whatever happened to the original backstory for the land? It reads as follows, and I quote:

Of course, everyone knows that Mickey's Toontown existed long before Disneyland was built right next door. One happy day in 1952, while Walt Disney was in Toontown visiting his pal Mickey Mouse, his dream for a new park come up in conversation. Mickey knew that whenever Walt got that sparkle in his eye, whatever he was dreaming up was bound to come true. So he was dismayed when Walt confided in him that he was having a difficult time finding a site large enough to accommodate all the wonderful things he had in mind.

"Oh, boy, I've got a swell idea!" Mickey exclaimed as he grabbed Walt by the hand and led him over to the fence that separated Toontown from the human world. "Take a look over this fence," continued Mickey. "There's a fine and dandy parcel of land just on the other side that would be a wonderful place to build Disneyland!" And it was.

Many years went by before it finally dawned on the toons (the first time something dawned on them besides a happy cartoon sun) that since it was so easy for them to go next door to visit all their non-toon friends at Disneyland, their non-toon friends could just as easily come visit them in Toontown! And that is exactly what happened when Mickey's Toontown was "finally" opened to Disneyland visitors in February, 1993.

So I really want to think that Toontown actually exists because of Mickey. Let's not forget that Toontown is actually an outgrowth of Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland, which debuted shortly before the release of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and which was themed primarily around Duckburg ("DuckTales" had just debuted a few months prior).

And let's also not forget that Mickey's Toontown Fair, which replaced Mickey's Starland, had the exact same toon-like style as the regular Toontown, but Roger Rabbit was nowhere to be found there. Also, I like to think that the Mickey cartoons of the 2010s (which is what Runaway Railway is obviously themed to) have a bit of Toontown vibe to it.

Dear Prudence

Whatever happened to the original backstory for the land? It reads as follows, and I quote:

Of course, everyone knows that Mickey's Toontown existed long before Disneyland was built right next door. One happy day in 1952, while Walt Disney was in Toontown visiting his pal Mickey Mouse, his dream for a new park come up in conversation. Mickey knew that whenever Walt got that sparkle in his eye, whatever he was dreaming up was bound to come true. So he was dismayed when Walt confided in him that he was having a difficult time finding a site large enough to accommodate all the wonderful things he had in mind.

"Oh, boy, I've got a swell idea!" Mickey exclaimed as he grabbed Walt by the hand and led him over to the fence that separated Toontown from the human world. "Take a look over this fence," continued Mickey. "There's a fine and dandy parcel of land just on the other side that would be a wonderful place to build Disneyland!" And it was.

Many years went by before it finally dawned on the toons (the first time something dawned on them besides a happy cartoon sun) that since it was so easy for them to go next door to visit all their non-toon friends at Disneyland, their non-toon friends could just as easily come visit them in Toontown! And that is exactly what happened when Mickey's Toontown was "finally" opened to Disneyland visitors in February, 1993.

So I really want to think that Toontown actually exists because of Mickey. Let's not forget that Toontown is actually an outgrowth of Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland, which debuted shortly before the release of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and which was themed primarily around Duckburg ("DuckTales" had just debuted a few months prior).

And let's also not forget that Mickey's Toontown Fair, which replaced Mickey's Starland, has the exact same toon-like style as the regular Toontown, but Roger Rabbit was nowhere to be found there. Also, I like to think that the Mickey cartoons of the 2010s (which is what Runaway Railway is obviously themed to) have a bit of Toontown vibe to it.
Mickey is also the mayor of Toontown in the film, so that also checks.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
And let's also not forget that Mickey's Toontown Fair, which replaced Mickey's Starland, had the exact same toon-like style as the regular Toontown, but Roger Rabbit was nowhere to be found there. Also, I like to think that the Mickey cartoons of the 2010s (which is what Runaway Railway is obviously themed to) have a bit of Toontown vibe to it.
Roger Rabbit should've have his own attraction in Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Roger_the_pianist

ToonTown Fair felt pretty cheap and tacky...I guess that's an easy theme, kinda like boardwalk for Paradise/Pixar Pier.

Isn't it literally MICKEY'S Toontown...not Roger Rabbit's?...

Roger Rabbit is pretty unknown to kids, was never kid friendly, and should just go away at this point.

Dear Prudence

I didn't realize that Toontown was closing as early as March. That's very sad. At least I got to say goodbye to it while I did.

Also, joke is on them if they create all this interactive uwu stuff and Covid still isn't under control.

mharrington

I didn't realize that Toontown was closing as early as March. That's very sad. At least I got to say goodbye to it while I did.

Also, joke is on them if they create all this interactive uwu stuff and Covid still isn't under control.

I will be going in January, so I will have one last chance to see it before it's shut down.

I think COVID-19 will be under control by Spring 2022 as the pandemic will be over then.

Unfortunately, I thought the pandemic would be over this year, and with cases rising again, I highly doubt it's going anywhere any time soon. It will be interesting to see what they do the interactive stuff if that's the case. Maybe the pandemic will be over by 2023, which is when Toontown reopens? I don't know.

Professortango1

ToonTown Fair felt pretty cheap and tacky...I guess that's an easy theme, kinda like boardwalk for Paradise/Pixar Pier.

Isn't it literally MICKEY'S Toontown...not Roger Rabbit's?...

Roger Rabbit is pretty unknown to kids, was never kid friendly, and should just go away at this point.
Roger Rabbit was a favourite of mine growing up and lets not forget that for a period, Roger was more prevalent than Mickey. He lead parades, was seen walking around constantly, and was used heavily in advertising. There was an entire land planned around RR for MGM Studios.

The style and feel of ToonTown takes its cues from Roger Rabbit, not the Mickey cartoons. The bulbous and puffy look of the architecture isn't found in old Disney cartoons. The backgrounds and environments are for more normal looking. The zaniness and constant whirl of activity and gags is also very much a Roger Rabbit influence. ToonTown was a wild place where surprises and gags lurked everywhere. Mickey lived in an idealized reality and the focus wasn't on gags or a crazy world, but on the characters and interactions. When the gang are cleaning the clock, it isn't a wild and crazy cartoon clock with silly gags and characters, its them interacting with very normal gears, springs, and figurines.

Downtown ToonTown and the Jolly Trolley are pure Roger. The meet and greet suburban area still takes its architecture from Roger, but the gags and interactive elements are more subdued. Its probably why I always spent most of my time riding Cartoon Spin and exploring the various Downtown elements.

WFRR is probably one of the best live action films that Disney has been a part of.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Roger Rabbit was a favourite of mine growing up and lets not forget that for a period, Roger was more prevalent than Mickey. He lead parades, was seen walking around constantly, and was used heavily in advertising. There was an entire land planned around RR for MGM Studios.

The style and feel of ToonTown takes its cues from Roger Rabbit, not the Mickey cartoons. The bulbous and puffy look of the architecture isn't found in old Disney cartoons. The backgrounds and environments are for more normal looking. The zaniness and constant whirl of activity and gags is also very much a Roger Rabbit influence. ToonTown was a wild place where surprises and gags lurked everywhere. Mickey lived in an idealized reality and the focus wasn't on gags or a crazy world, but on the characters and interactions. When the gang are cleaning the clock, it isn't a wild and crazy cartoon clock with silly gags and characters, its them interacting with very normal gears, springs, and figurines.

Downtown ToonTown and the Jolly Trolley are pure Roger. The meet and greet suburban area still takes its architecture from Roger, but the gags and interactive elements are more subdued. Its probably why I always spent most of my time riding Cartoon Spin and exploring the various Downtown elements.

WFRR is probably one of the best live action films that Disney has been a part of.
Mickey's Toontown should've have non-Disney characters too during 1990s if Disney can deal with Warner Bros, MGM, Universal (if they can deal with Woody Woodpecker), Paramount and other studios.

brb1006

Mickey's Toontown should've have non-Disney characters too during 1990s if Disney can deal with Warner Bros, MGM, Universal (if they can deal with Woody Woodpecker), Paramount and other studios.
Impossibly! Six Flags already has the rights to the Looney Tunes characters. And there is no way Universal would even dare put Woody Woodpecker into a Disney Park.

Last edited:

etc98

Mickey’s Toontown Fair in Magic Kingdom actually had a distinctly different style from Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland.

For example, here’s Mickey’s House in Toontown Fair:
1637711402844.jpeg
mickeys-country-house-big.jpg

And here’s Mickey’s house in Toontown:
1637711458538.jpeg

Minnie’s House in Toontown Fair:
1637711671676.jpeg

And here’s Minnie’s house in Toontown.
1637711695930.jpeg

Yes, Toontown Fair was obviously still cartoon-like. But when you compare pre-Roger Rabbit Toontown Fair to post-Roger Rabbit Toontown, the influence of Roger Rabbit is readily apparent. Everything in Disneyland’s Toontown is much more curved, bulbous, and bouncy, which closely matches the aesthetic of Roger Rabbit, more so than the Mickey Cartoons which were generally more realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom