News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Lilofan

The difference with Chapek is that he's now in a position to speak his mind and the big decisions are under his rule and watch. So, the things we all hate are in his lap. Those under him, might agree with what he's doing, or, they might not -- we don't know. As employees who wish to retain their jobs, they do what he says in either case and don't publicly disagree with their boss.
A few days ago , Chapek and NFL Pats owner Robert Kraft spoke at an executive meeting with others in Boston. Chapek admitted even after working almost 30 years with TWDC, he was in a baptism by fire when he became CEO when the pandemic hit and the decision to close 80% of TWDC . The way that Disney navigated through the pandemic and continues to do so, including a number of cast that lost their jobs will be discussed in college business classrooms in case studies for years to come.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Yep. He's always been focused on the cast members. I'd imagine he feels he can move the needle and support CMs in his role, but has to fall in line with the initiatives presented to him as well. That doesn't make him a bad person.
Why don’t you ask the 10,000 Disney Store cast that were all lied to and then fired how “focused” he was on them?

Lilofan

Yep. He's always been focused on the cast members. I'd imagine he feels he can move the needle and support CMs in his role, but has to fall in line with the initiatives presented to him as well. That doesn't make him a bad person.
When your boss tells you to cut, you figure out a way to make it happen.

el_super

The difference with Chapek is that he's now in a position to speak his mind and the big decisions are under his rule and watch. So, the things we all hate are in his lap. Those under him, might agree with what he's doing, or, they might not -- we don't know. As employees who wish to retain their jobs, they do what he says in either case and don't publicly disagree with their boss.

Yeah but the problem is, some of these people who want to excuse Josh's role as Parks Chariman, were the very same ones that condemned the job Chapek did as head of parks. Either the head of parks has absolute authority over what goes into the parks, or he just takes orders from the CEO.

People generated this inconsistency because they wanted to believe the bigger myth. The myth that the company is run by good guys and bad guys. It's a very simplistic way to look at it.

castlecake2.0

Yeah but the problem is, some of these people who want to excuse Josh's role as Parks Chariman, were the very same ones that condemned the job Chapek did as head of parks. Either the head of parks has absolute authority over what goes into the parks, or he just takes orders from the CEO.

People generated this inconsistency because they wanted to believe the bigger myth. The myth that the company is run by good guys and bad guys. It's a very simplistic way to look at it.
Josh is “pretty” so he must be the good guy!

SoFloMagic

Except for the flocks of consumers who will run each other over to get that insipid Starbucks tumbler. And the eBay trolls who buy up gobs of merch to resell and Disney pretends to care but in all honesty doesn’t really give a whit about it because they are making money.

Vote with your wallet, it’s the only thing that matters anymore.
I get that people will pay it, but that doesn't make it ok. I bought my wife the same cup from Starbucks for 21.99 around Halloween. Anyone who pays a $28 premium to add a 50 onto it is a world class sucker.

VJ

Please cite your source that Josh totally, on his own, and not because he's being paid to do a job is:
  • onboard with IP everywhere all the time;
  • OK with nickel and diming guests;
  • and OK with diminished offerings.
For extra credit, please explain what someone in his position, if he didn't like the CEO's mandates, could do to countermand the CEO's policy without getting fired.
I don't know D'Amaro personally (do any of us?), so I can't speak on what he does and doesn't believe behind closed doors. In that regard, you have a point that it's hard to determine where his orders from Chapek end and his own opinions begin.

Why don’t you hate the company culture and systems that result in the decisions you see the company make? One person being vanquished, to then be replaced by someone else within the company, will not change anything of substance.
This is a very good point.

My strong opinions boil down to me being skeptical about D'Amaro being the savior everyone's looking for. Remember how John Lasseter's Jungle Cruise skipper tenure was so heavily paraded around? I guess I just want to believe that there's hope to turn Disney around from this nickel-and-dime-at-all-costs mentality. But given the state of most American companies in the 21st century, I guess that's pretty much a pipe dream.

Sir_Cliff

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 11.24.14 pm.png

PaulZ

I think Bob and Josh operate as good cop/bad cop. Everyone blames Bob Chapek for everything (he’s the CEO, it ultimately falls on him and FTR, I can’t stand him or the decisions he’s been responsible for) while giving Josh a pass because he seems so much nicer and personable. These decisions don’t happen without him agreeing to them. He’s most likely in the same mold as Paychek just he smiles while giving you the middle finger.

CaptinEO

I think Bob and Josh operate as good cop/bad cop. Everyone blames Bob Chapek for everything (he’s the CEO, it ultimately falls on him and FTR, I can’t stand him or the decisions he’s been responsible for) while giving Josh a pass because he seems so much nicer and personable. These decisions don’t happen without him agreeing to them. He’s most likely in the same mold as Paychek just he smiles while giving you the middle finger.
I think they just have different outward personalities, doubt it's an intentional act.

RSoxNo1

Please cite your source that Josh totally, on his own, and not because he's being paid to do a job is:
  • onboard with IP everywhere all the time;
  • OK with nickel and diming guests;
  • and OK with diminished offerings.
For extra credit, please explain what someone in his position, if he didn't like the CEO's mandates, could do to countermand the CEO's policy without getting fired.
“We are so excited to leverage Disney’s powerful brand, develop new stories and share even more magical experiences with our guests,” said D’Amaro.

If D'Amaro can't question mandates from above, then nobody can and that bodes very poorly for the future of the company. IMO, the only indispensable person in the company right now is Kevin Feige, but 10 years ago if I was asked that question I would have said John Lasseter.

Unbanshee

So with D23 as Josh's first live performance in his role, I wonder how mega-fans will react to hearing the same drivel spewed from his mouth this weekend. No doubt he will deliver it better than Chapek, who is not a good public speaker at all, but it will be the same content delivered about the same ongoing projects

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So with D23 as Josh's first live performance in his role, I wonder how mega-fans will react to hearing the same drivel spewed from his mouth this weekend. No doubt he will deliver it better than Chapek, who is not a good public speaker at all, but it will be the same content delivered about the same ongoing projects
You know... they only announce good news. They (almost) never rehash or try to burnish unpopular things that already exist. This isn't a stockholder meeting.

JoeCamel

This is the same corporate people doing the same corporate things following the same path. To veer off the path is to be noticed and a target. If you shine off the path you may soar but it is much safer to follow the path.
The world and this company changed decades ago to be what Wharton said worked. It does and won't fail catastrophically but has no soul or creativity left.
The stockholders demand their dividends if the heads want lotsa lettuce to play with. You don't deliver at your peril so you deliver until it is time to cash out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom