Food portion cuts to increase profits?

Ayla

As a corollary, Disney would know how many snack credits are unused from dining plan participants. Obviously, meal sizes are too big if snack credits are going unused (and with the number of posts here and elsewhere on how to use up snack credits at the end of a trip, they are). Decreasing restaurant portions should help decrease labor and ingredient requirements while increasing table turn. More snacks mean people are consuming more easy-to-prepare, cheaper items, and dining plan participants are feeling like they got their money's worth since they used all of their credits. Win-win for Disney.
The dining plan hasn't been around since they reopened in 2020.

Lilofan

That line was so crass - "Be good for some peoples waistlines"

I just don't see this going well if social media catches on to that statement...
Social media catches it but not worldwide media. To them this is a non story not worth even reporting.

TrojanUSC

They (and other locations around WDW) also used to have really good chicken tenders. Then they changed to nuggets.

There also used to be a good variety across property. One restaurant might have a good seasoned fry, while another might have a waffle fry. Now its all homogenized across property based on whatever good deal they can get from Sysco.

Oddysey

The CFO of the Walt Disney Company brought up " Cutting portion size " to increase profits. Also stated this would
" Be good for some peoples waistlines " . This profits are all that matters has reached the ultimate . So get ready
for the end of Boma buffet-Ohana will become Prix fix-and all other buffets will be gonzo. I am tired of the Take
take take and never give back.

The CFO using people’s waistlines as justification is one of the funniest things I ever heard. Are they going to stop selling churros and hot fudge sundays as well. So reassured by the WDCs sudden concern for my health. 😂😂😂

Oddysey

I can count on one hand the number of meals I've had at Disney, quick service or table service, that I felt were improperly sized in either direction.

Once paid $9 for an appetizer that unknowingly consisted of a single mushroom about 4 inches in width at the Mayan Grill in Coronado Springs back in 2009. I suppose the new portion will consists of a the typical size mushroom found on a pepperoni pizza.

Oddysey

Who wants to be on a full stomach then walk in 95-100 degree heat then ride Space Mountain?

Sounds like an awful scenario, but you can always just stop eating before reaching the point of having overly full stomach. With the prices they charge I would at least like to have the right to choose if I want to eat to the point of absolute misery.

Edit: sorry for the triple post. I will stop now.

mhaftman7

This may land me in WDWMAGIC jail, or worse, but I’m thinking that Disney is truly grateful for the pandemic. Free reign to justifiably reduce staffing, lower quality standards, lower expectations, all while increasing the overall cost to the consumer. I mean fast pass and ddp were STAPLES of our trips for over a decade.

As far as the CFO comment goes, she CLEARLY doesn’t know how caloric intake/exhaustion works. She clearly doesn’t understand how much energy the body requires/uses when walking anywhere from 9-12 miles per day in the sun for 90% off your day. We would get the DDP that had two snacks, a quick service, and a table service. One snack would generally be a refresher from Starbucks. The two meals were not large enough in protein to satisfy your need. I completely agree that it’s more of a smack push then anything else.

SteveAZee

This may land me in WDWMAGIC jail, or worse, but I’m thinking that Disney is truly grateful for the pandemic. Free reign to justifiably reduce staffing, lower quality standards, lower expectations, all while increasing the overall cost to the consumer. I mean fast pass and ddp were STAPLES of our trips for over a decade.

As far as the CFO comment goes, she CLEARLY doesn’t know how caloric intake/exhaustion works. She clearly doesn’t understand how much energy the body requires/uses when walking anywhere from 9-12 miles per day in the sun for 90% off your day. We would get the DDP that had two snacks, a quick service, and a table service. One snack would generally be a refresher from Starbucks. The two meals were not large enough in protein to satisfy your need. I completely agree that it’s more of a smack push then anything else.
I would guess that given the major loss of revenue, they'd probably have chosen to not have a pandemic. That said, I'm guessing that they've made lemonade out of the lemons the best they can... and some of it is quite sour. ;)

Disstevefan1

I would guess that given the major loss of revenue, they'd probably have chosen to not have a pandemic. That said, I'm guessing that they've made lemonade out of the lemons the best they can... and some of it is quite sour. ;)
We will never know for sure, but TWDC sure did use the pandemic as an excuse to make changes they always wanted to do; earlier and faster in the name of the pandemic.

I suspect they will continue to make changes to lower costs and raise prices for years to come and “blame it on the pandemic”

Lilofan

We will never know for sure, but TWDC sure did use the pandemic as an excuse to make changes they always wanted to do; earlier and faster in the name of the pandemic.

I suspect they will continue to make changes to lower costs and raise prices for years to come and “blame it on the pandemic”
And many will continue to go to WDW. When the Epcot Candllelight packages were announced a few weeks ago , all of the dinner / reserved seating at the American Gardens shows were sold out - within minutes it went on sale. So, raise the prices and people will continue to come.

celluloid

Exactly. That is the difference. He knew he did not have to force ways to nickel and dime by instead giving a product and high quality service that would have people wanting and not mending spending extra nickels and dimes in the total.

There is a reason the high quality theme parks outperform Vegas. Vegas is a lazier/easier money grab, but in the long run, quality earns more income.

I am now quoting myself I guess. Sorry for that but I just read wat Bobby C has referenced in the conference call. He really wants the quick grab because quality standards are harder for him to keep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom