My experiment in human decency

Budd

Lurker here but thought I'd chime in.

Just to play devil's advocate, in the era which we live in with surveillance and car cameras everywhere, and sneezing wrong landing you on YouTube, why would someone risk getting caught and a possible record just for a magnet? I know it's just a magnet, but theft is theft, and if caught or recorded, they could land in real hot water.

mergatroid

Some people just don't get society. The idea that we all treat each other as nicely as we can and not break the law which makes the world better for all seems to bypass so many. Instead they enjoy the good things that other people behaving decently allow them to, but don't want to do likewise and do as they want as they're just selfish.

A few months back when walking our elderly dog I saw a woman who'd been watching her son play football leave a load of McDonalds wrappers on the side of the pitch. When I confronted her she said "What's it to do with you", swore at me and walked off to her distinctive pink car. So the following week I went to McDonalds and bought a nice, thick, sticky milkshake and went to the park. Her car was there (car park hidden behind some trees from the pitch) and so I poured that bad boy all over her windscreen before driving off. Perhaps that makes me as bad as her and sets me apart from the very 'society' I strive for? However I was walking on air and giggling like a child the rest of that day and felt really good about it.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Just to play devil's advocate, in the era which we live in with surveillance and car cameras everywhere, and sneezing wrong landing you on YouTube, why would someone risk getting caught and a possible record just for a magnet? I know it's just a magnet, but theft is theft, and if caught or recorded, they could land in real hot water.
Good luck getting the police to respond to that.

Goofyernmost

I think there is a simple reason why people steal those magnets that say Annual Pass on them. They probably think that you having them on your car will automatically give you free parking (or at least would have in the past, I'm not sure if AP's get free parking anymore). I would bet that some have been successful doing that, but since I have never seen it happen, I am just spouting possibilities, I think it would explain the motivation to steal one. They might even think that they can get in the parks with one of them.

donaldtoo

I’ve had a Sorcerer Mickey antenna topper on my ride for years. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s safe, as all the white stars that were on his hat are long gone, and it’s beat to hell…!!!!! :hilarious:

C87793E1-2DD5-4C20-8216-623E3B5C39DD.jpeg

marialexus

Is there any Disney-related swag or ephemera that people won't attach monetary value to?

Sometime in the 90s, I remember throwing out some old Disney-labeled ketchup packets I found in my mom's refrigerator that originated from a trip in the early 80s (my mom isn't a hoarder, but she has trouble throwing away some junk if it triggers a specific emotional connection). I wonder if even something like this would have value on eBay?

Heck, I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find some old Disney complimentary soap in her house. Any takers for some vintage Disney soap?
I have Disney soap bars, shampoos, lotion, and others from 18 or more trips. I keep them for my granddaughters, along with tickets, maps and other stuff so they will be able to look back when they are older and see the changes.

Diamond Dot

This is absolutely true, but, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't believe me as this is possibly the lowest thing anyone could do.
My husband served in the Royal Navy and died while on duty. A former colleague, who had been disabled out due to injuries he received in an accident on board ship and had retrained as a carpenter, made a beautiful cross to go on the grave until the stone was ready to be put on it. I was very large and heavy and yet, some scumbag stole the cross from where it had been stored literally the day after it had been replaced by the stone. The police said there was nothing they could do and as it was before social media I couldn't even put a photo up online asking if anyone had seen it or been offered it for sale. And people wonder why I prefer cats to humans.

Diamond Dot

I have Disney soap bars, shampoos, lotion, and others from 18 or more trips. I keep them for my granddaughters, along with tickets, maps and other stuff so they will be able to look back when they are older and see the changes.
I don't put the magnets on my car, I have them on the work bench and some on the freezer.
Me too. I have a New York Mets magnet on my car, I think that one is pretty safe from being swiped;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

When people routinely drive 15 mph over the speed limit, run red lights with impunity, cheat on their taxes, spread lies and innuendo via social media, work specious angles to get stuff for free and then video and post themselves doing it live, what makes you think anyone's concerned about someone casually stripping a magnet off the back of a car?

mf1972

little off topic, but on our recent trip we found people behaving in a respectful manner. maybe it was just luck or we missed a few rotten apples, but people were ok towards each other.
now when i drove back to NJ…different story. i wasn’t back in the state for 15-20 minutes & im getting high beamed & honked at. we do have a reputation to keep 😜

jaklgreen

I have 30+ years working in the public. I have lost faith in humans 2 1/2 decades ago. People are jerks, especially to those that they deem "less" then they are. Why do people put so much value on the type of job you have? That is in now an an indication of the type of person you are.

DfromATX

little off topic, but on our recent trip we found people behaving in a respectful manner. maybe it was just luck or we missed a few rotten apples, but people were ok towards each other.
now when i drove back to NJ…different story. i wasn’t back in the state for 15-20 minutes & im getting high beamed & honked at. we do have a reputation to keep 😜
I try to be nice and the people I'm around day-to-day are nice (like my coworkers, people at the grocery store, etc.) Also I can't recall people being nasty at Disney either. Well, I take that back, there was one time I witnessed a dad with stroller repeatedly bump the person in front of him and they got into it, but other than that...

but you're right about on the road. Something about driving seems to bring out the worst in people, but to me, so much of that is more stupidity than outright meanness. I feel like a lot of people need refresher courses on driving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom