News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's the math on this half a billion in reservations? - I'm missing a part somewhere. Let's go with the $5300 voyage total for 3 guests in a cabin, x 100 cabins is $530,000 per voyage, x 45 voyages (90 days in Mar-May/2 day trips). $24,000,000
Man, I must have sleep-posted that. You're right. I must have moved a decimal. Thanks for the math-check.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They still have the ultra high dollar option of offering a wedding package later. Figure Captains Suite accommodations with the captain doing a quick 30 minute ceremony would fetch a pretty penny.
Or maybe a Penny Pretty...
1636166161333.png

Animaniac93-98

But as far as I can see, the success of the Cruiser is very, very bad for anyone who loves the parks.

While I agree with your post, it should be noted that if the Cruiser fails that's also bad news for the parks as well. We've seen in the past that when a big expenditure does not deliver, Disney panics and all divisions suffer to make the bottom line look good ASAP.

In the end the only people who truly win are the couple hundred guests a day willing to pay big bucks to play overnight in Star Wars.

mergatroid

I mean the capacity of this thing is tiny. Plus with euro travel around corner....i think it will work only because its so small. Granted i still think things will be cut and or watered down after launch.
Again, I've never said otherwise. In context you replied with this to me replying to those who predicted it wouldn't book beyond it's first month who had already been proven wrong (or words to that affect). It was always planned to be fairly small by Disney, even before Covid 19 became a thing. Those predicting it wouldn't book beyond the first month knew how small it was and how relatively few rooms it had, this wasn't a surprise that Disney threw in there late on. Also when it was planned Euro travel was still 'the norm', I'm not sure why this is even being mentioned? It was designed pre Covid when there were no restrictions, the fact Europeans could travel had no bearing on it's size.

It's an interesting debate and time will tell how successful it is. It just seems there's a lot of mental gymnastics going on from a few (not you) who appeared to be hoping that this would be a flop. All of a sudden "It won't book beyond it's first month" has become "Well let's see where it is in a years time". Now it appears that the size of it is the only thing making it work along with Europeans being allowed in, even though both of these things were already known by those making negative predictions. If in two years time it's still being booked up then I'm almost expecting to hear "Well I'm sure if Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron hadn't been built then the Star Wars Hotel would have flopped by now" :D

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Now that's imaginative! Weather would not be an issue in the closed environment of the ship either.
For the price some pay for a wedding, it would probably be relatively decent in price really. the courtyard, the possibility less sterile feel of the interior can be avoided.
I've known people to want SW weddings. In fact couple friends named their first child to have his initials spell JEDI.
Personally I'd prefer that to a Grand Floridian style lol

GimpYancIent

For the price some pay for a wedding, it would probably be relatively decent in price really. the courtyard, the possibility less sterile feel of the interior can be avoided.
I've known people to want SW weddings. In fact couple friends named their first child to have his initials spell JEDI.
Personally I'd prefer that to a Grand Floridian style lol
There would definitely be a niche market for such a unique venue option, enough to make it quite profitable. Excellent suggestion.

GimpYancIent

Again, I've never said otherwise. In context you replied with this to me replying to those who predicted it wouldn't book beyond it's first month who had already been proven wrong (or words to that affect). It was always planned to be fairly small by Disney, even before Covid 19 became a thing. Those predicting it wouldn't book beyond the first month knew how small it was and how relatively few rooms it had, this wasn't a surprise that Disney threw in there late on. Also when it was planned Euro travel was still 'the norm', I'm not sure why this is even being mentioned? It was designed pre Covid when there were no restrictions, the fact Europeans could travel had no bearing on it's size.

It's an interesting debate and time will tell how successful it is. It just seems there's a lot of mental gymnastics going on from a few (not you) who appeared to be hoping that this would be a flop. All of a sudden "It won't book beyond it's first month" has become "Well let's see where it is in a years time". Now it appears that the size of it is the only thing making it work along with Europeans being allowed in, even though both of these things were already known by those making negative predictions. If in two years time it's still being booked up then I'm almost expecting to hear "Well I'm sure if Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron hadn't been built then the Star Wars Hotel would have flopped by now" :D
Me, Myself and I do not wish, nor hope or want the Galactic Cruiser Experience to "flop". The skim, glean, over charge and viewing of the guests as dollar signs, monetary resources to be exploited that irritates. The responses, the reactions of those guests that paid the exorbitant prices expecting an out of this world experience will spell success or failure. If the guests do not feel they got their moneys worth, if the guests did not enjoy themselves, if the guests did not receive the experience that met their expectations there are too many possibilities. Right now there are high expectations and uniqueness plus exclusivity, but, that has a limited life span. The experience would definitely have the possibility of long term appeal and success if a different pricing model had been used. I do not believe it will be years but rather months for this experience to morph into something different than what is advertised now.

mergatroid

Me, Myself and I do not wish, nor hope or want the Galactic Cruiser Experience to "flop". The skim, glean, over charge and viewing of the guests as dollar signs, monetary resources to be exploited that irritates. The responses, the reactions of those guests that paid the exorbitant prices expecting an out of this world experience will spell success or failure. If the guests do not feel they got their moneys worth, if the guests did not enjoy themselves, if the guests did not receive the experience that met their expectations there are too many possibilities. Right now there are high expectations and uniqueness plus exclusivity, but, that has a limited life span. The experience would definitely have the possibility of long term appeal and success if a different pricing model had been used. I do not believe it will be years but rather months for this experience to morph into something different than what is advertised now.
As long as you're not one of those people who spend 7 hours on the phone booking it just so you can cancel later for the fun of it, we're all good ;) :D

pdude81

Disney should be knocking down the walls between a bunch of steerage class rooms and make some more high-class suites!!

It seems the people who have the money to enjoy this... really have the money.

Which is not surprising considering Disney can sell so many deluxe rooms *starting* at $600/night.
I think they make a lot more money on the standard cabins actually.

matt9112

To be clear i hope it at least falls flat. Fail is a strong word but if this thing is over the top succesful than there will be more to come. It sets a dangerous precedent for what people are willing to pay. One that i feel is unreasonable. For the cost of this you can do so much more in life.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The funny lart is so many people were crying bloody murder here about prices…. And what sold out the quickest? The highest priced stuff.

maybe disney does know something….

bubbles1812

To be clear i hope it at least falls flat. Fail is a strong word but if this thing is over the top succesful than there will be more to come. It sets a dangerous precedent for what people are willing to pay. One that i feel is unreasonable. For the cost of this you can do so much more in life.
It’s all relative though isn’t it? Yes, you can do a lot for 5K but everyone has their price. I think paying 500 dollars for concert tickets is something I wouldn’t do, but then I paid that much for orchestra seating Hamilton tickets with no regrets. Obviously, that’s a smaller dollar amount but the same concept applies here.

I think Disney probably recognizes this is a niche thing that not everyone will be willing and/or cannot pay for. If successful, I suppose they could maybe make a Marvel hotel, though it’s not like they can make Avenger’s Campus this side of the Mississippi.

I just don’t think they have a ready made property that is easily supported by the parks in regards to what they are trying to do with the hotel. Batuu was originally designed with role playing in mind. Fantasyland isn’t exactly set up for that.

(And going back to the statement I bolded, I do at least agree that people should do more in life besides Disney. Which at least my family does. I don’t understand people who solely vacation at Disney. But we still have the money set aside for this.)

matt9112

Problem isn't just the cost, it's that it's a high cost for an unknown concept. If I pay $500 for Hamilton tickets, I know what I'm getting in return.

I concur. Granted 500 or 600 here and there for things you love is a far cry from 5k. 5k is enough that i feel most people probably dont have it laying around at least not in liquid. 5 or 600 is something most in the western world can swing with a pay check or two.

Patcheslee

I concur. Granted 500 or 600 here and there for things you love is a far cry from 5k. 5k is enough that i feel most people probably dont have it laying around at least not in liquid. 5 or 600 is something most in the western world can swing with a pay check or two.
5k is 3 months of bills for us. It's also our normal budget for non-Disney vacations for a week+. When it comes to how many days this is, it really will come down to reviews and if I want to shorten a vacation that much. We're also limited to summer only so for 3 of us probably more like 7k.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom