Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

aladdin2007

I thought things looked really good today show quality wise, the animatronic movements seemed improved, show lighting seemed much better with recent issues fixed, star fields ascent/descent were fixed. I think some of the animatronic costumes have been refreshed etc.
They have definitely been been giving some things attention. Too bad they removed the music from the outside however.

I was thinking while riding that all they really need to do is continue this type of refreshing, a new narration, and a new descent, get rid of the obnoxious screens, and then whatever mechanical work. They could save a ton of money by not going haywire and turning it over to the zach to do god knows what to it. Its already been botched once and never fixed/finished (descent), lets not botch it more.

Last edited:

DreamfinderGuy

So do we know anything more about when anything’s happening to SSE? Thought the most recent rumor was it closing this month with Rat picking up the slack, clearly that’s not happening.

HMF

We’re going next month and so hope it’s open. It’s my favorite of the remaining old school EPCOT rides and I so want to experience it one last time before it’s ruined
As far as I am concerned it was ruined in 2007 but it is still fixable hopefully it will be fixed though I am not optimistic.

Casper Gutman

Great breakdown of the changes that were (and hopefully still are) planned:

This is a great video, but I just don't trust modern WDW to do a major overhaul of one of the few remaining classic EPCOT attractions. I also find it amusing that the rides theme would shift to storytelling but they would cut out the whole "invention of written language" part in favor of what seems to be an IP insert.

Honestly, the only changes I want are some scenes in the descent. Or, failing that, an "off" button for the screen. Or at least a "mute."

Epcot82Guy

This is a great video, but I just don't trust modern WDW to do a major overhaul of one of the few remaining classic EPCOT attractions. I also find it amusing that the rides theme would shift to storytelling but they would cut out the whole "invention of written language" part in favor of what seems to be an IP insert.

Honestly, the only changes I want are some scenes in the descent. Or, failing that, an "off" button for the screen. Or at least a "mute."

Agreed. The idea of the storylight adding kinetic energy to the scenes sounds like a solid one. I would greatly fear the execution here given modern Disney leadership.

EPCOT-O.G.

Great breakdown of the changes that were (and hopefully still are) planned:

This really is a great video. It actually made me a little less hesitant about the proposed changes. While I love the ride and don't want it to change all that much, it does need some track rework and TLC throughout. Fixing the moon scene and the descent are also very necessary.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Agreed. The idea of the storylight adding kinetic energy to the scenes sounds like a solid one. I would greatly fear the execution here given modern Disney leadership.
I don’t trust any of them. So my response is still, “Not only ‘No’, ‘**** no’”. Replace the track, since that’s only a decade-plus overdue. But stop with this incessant “story”-everything and “everyone can tell their story” crap. It’s so overused now it’s meaningless, like how they’ve killed the word “Magic” because they have overused it so damn much since 2006.

Epcot82Guy

I don’t trust any of them. So my response is still, “Not only ‘No’, ‘**** no’”. Replace the track, since that’s only a decade-plus overdue. But stop with this incessant “story”-everything and “everyone can tell their story” crap. It’s so overused now it’s meaningless, like how they’ve killed the word “Magic” because they have overused it so damn much since 2006.

That's a very fair point. Subtlety has been lost, it seems. (And that's not just Disney, but they are a MAJOR culprit.) If this were done without subtlety, it could be both overdone and trite at the same time. Your "overuse" argument definitely stands.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That's a very fair point. Subtlety has been lost, it seems. (And that's not just Disney, but they are a MAJOR culprit.) If this were done without subtlety, it could be both overdone and trite at the same time. Your "overuse" argument definitely stands.
It’s as if those in charge of the company and Parks didn’t/don’t really understand the parks at all. 🤔 And their idea of “subtle” involves a jackhammer.

aladdin2007

My concern is you know who being in charge of it, then all we can expect is posts about panels and tiles and justifying show changes.

Im not sure they plan on doing anything with it anytime soon at this point, but it needs work or its going to be worse off and really have issues. My post a few posts back about how its currently looking pretty good visually (descent aside) had me impressed, there is at least a team involved (and a good one currently) keeping things up fairly well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom