News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

I don’t care what people say, I care what they do.

If that poll was anything resembling reality, it would mean that minus a mandate over 50% of guests would still mask.

You know that would not be the case.

That poll is meaningless , your highly intelligent and able to recognize that.

Yet you still point to it.

Why?
Most people want to do what is necessary to keep kids safe. That doesn’t mean they like masks. Most of us dislike them.

Falling case numbers and a vaccine help tremendously.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Was that a poll of people who choose to visit a theme park during the pandemic? I suspect the guests at WDW will receive the news very warmly.

I mean, that's just a hunch on your part. I could just as easily say I suspect that a number of guests at WDW will be upset precisely because they went to WDW now because of the mask mandate indoors. (In fact I know a few people who did go there as opposed to other places for that very reason - because Disney had a good rep for COVID safety).

Both opinions on that are valid, mine and yours. But neither is conclusive as it's just an opinion not backed by data.

drizgirl

I mean, that's just a hunch on your part. I could just as easily say I suspect that a number of guests at WDW will be upset precisely because they went to WDW now because of the mask mandate indoors. (In fact I know a few people who did go there as opposed to other places for that very reason - because Disney had a good rep for COVID safety).

Both opinions on that are valid, mine and yours. But neither is conclusive as it's just an opinion not backed by data.
Sure. But the question is which group is bigger. The ones who won't book until masks are lifted, or the ones who will only book if masks are in place.

Universal's most profitable quarter in history (without masks required) is certainly a data point that won't escape Disney's notice.

ToTBellHop

Sure. But the question is which group is bigger. The ones who won't book until masks are lifted, or the ones who will only book if masks are in place.

Universal's most profitable quarter in history (without masks required) is certainly a data point that won't escape Disney's notice.
I like to think Disney said, “wow! Case numbers are rising! Let’s protect our guests” in July and is now revising due to current conditions. I wasn’t very impressed with Universal’s policy in August. It was reckless then. Money with a little blood on their hands, perhaps (not that I could prove that).

In any event, the situation is improving. I’m sure that means all the missing entertainment and trams will return by Thanksgiving, right?

mikejs78

Premium Member

Do you understand what profit is?

If I make $1000000 and spend $800000, but then next year I only make $900000 but spend $699000, that will be my more profitable quarter even though I made less.

And if they are going by profit margin rather than raw profit it could even be more skewed. Say in the past again I made $1000000 but spent $800000, and that was previously my most profitable quarter. That's a 20% profit margin. But then if this year I make $100000, but only spent $75000, that's a 25% profit margin, but with much lower numbers.

Which is to say, "most profitable" is somewhat meaningless to determine if more people went.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I guess we’ll watch how people there react when the mandate is lifted. If more are going there because they feel safe in masks, they’ll keep wearing them and we’ll have our answer.
I think a number of people who are content to go with masks but are waiting for their kids to be vaccinated before they go maskless will probably cancel their trips. I know someone who did that who had a June trip and canceled it when the mandate was lifted.

The case levels right now do make a case for lifting it, I just think that it's going to be divided on who's happy and who's not, and the attendance difference will probably be a wash from the mask situation alone. What will make a difference though is that attendance is going to start to go up because of two factors - The resumption of international travel, and the ability of parents to vaccinate their kids.

DisneyCane

I think a number of people who are content to go with masks but are waiting for their kids to be vaccinated before they go maskless will probably cancel their trips. I know someone who did that who had a June trip and canceled it when the mandate was lifted.

The case levels right now do make a case for lifting it, I just think that it's going to be divided on who's happy and who's not, and the attendance difference will probably be a wash from the mask situation alone. What will make a difference though is that attendance is going to start to go up because of two factors - The resumption of international travel, and the ability of parents to vaccinate their kids.
They didn't appear to cancel their trips the last time they lifted the indoor mask requirement. It pretty much seemed to be the same crowd level on the last day of indoor masks and the first day without them based on wait times. I was there the second day without them and under 10% of people were wearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom