Disability Access Service (DAS) Updates

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
When is your arrival, I'm curious on the actual implementation of the 2 pre booked + in park. We have a lot of other variables in our touring party beyond my autistic brother so pre-planning may not be in our best interest.
I arrive 11/19th leave 11/28th. So my full window opens on 10/29th i was told. The lady said they were starting w 10am time slots for am & 3pm afternoon slots. From what she said i cant see any harm in pre booking because you can still use it in park the way you would be without prebooking. Also has no impact on Genie + purchase if you choose that as well.

Rider

Now with photo walk through. Note that the posted wait is 15 minutes but the DAS return is slightly less than that.

F6DA3157-DC0A-47A1-91BC-5F5261CCAE5E.png

7DD22506-350F-4F8C-9CD1-84971A584CE8.jpeg

6EF5FC8A-B4EF-417D-B280-BA87E1ADAB08.jpeg

08D31073-2FEA-411E-8213-300E0289D9BA.jpeg

Matthew

Got disconnected once after being told that Genie offers 1 free FP at a time so I likely won't need it. Um.... whaaaat? Called my specific issues by lesser names as well. So I'm back in queue to talk to someone.
Following this thread with interest as my wife has cerebral palsy, chiari malformation, anxiety and MS… I can’t believe somebody would speak to you like that and call issues by a lesser name!

correcaminos

Following this thread with interest as my wife has cerebral palsy, chiari malformation, anxiety and MS… I can’t believe somebody would speak to you like that and call issues by a lesser name!
Yeah somehow my issues turned into something easily dealt with by standing in shady areas before I get in line. Probably good I got disconnected. I can now be on my computer and pull up a copy of the note I can carry with me. I'm most surprised that this person did try to palm off Genie as free FP still. If it were, I would use it as much as I did FP+. I think next person I speak with I'll be more vague and just offer the doctor's note. But they thought that a full blown panic attack in line was nothing - which happened in the single rider line at TT a few years ago which is why I got DAS to begin with - was simple mild anxiety. Not to mention my physical, non mobility device helped, issues I've had since I was like 10. I cut them off and kindly told her they are not the same. We got cut off shortly after. I'm not an abuser and use it maybe once a day, but this person really got to me. Disney's on my low list at the moment and this isn't helping anything.

Be careful, CP can be dealt with by a mobility device and such - same with MS (sarcasm totally here)

Matthew

Yeah somehow my issues turned into something easily dealt with by standing in shady areas before I get in line. Probably good I got disconnected. I can now be on my computer and pull up a copy of the note I can carry with me. I'm most surprised that this person did try to palm off Genie as free FP still. If it were, I would use it as much as I did FP+. I think next person I speak with I'll be more vague and just offer the doctor's note. But they thought that a full blown panic attack in line was nothing - which happened in the single rider line at TT a few years ago which is why I got DAS to begin with - was simple mild anxiety. Not to mention my physical, non mobility device helped, issues I've had since I was like 10. I cut them off and kindly told her they are not the same. We got cut off shortly after. I'm not an abuser and use it maybe once a day, but this person really got to me. Disney's on my low list at the moment and this isn't helping anything.

Be careful, CP can be dealt with by a mobility device and such - same with MS (sarcasm totally here)
Such a mine field. As a family we always feel extremely guilty when we use it because of the looks we get and my wife is conscious enough about her disabilities but it’s crazy… sitting down in the wheel chair can cause her back to seize up, but standing for long periods can cause the same issue, her legs can be working fine one minute and then a minute later she can’t stand up… so we have always used DAS as without it we wouldn’t be able to do much on the trip… this time will be even harder as we have a toddler with us as well.

Hopefully the issues you have experienced are sorted before we visit next year because nobody should have their requirements trivialised.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Such a mine field. As a family we always feel extremely guilty when we use it because of the looks we get and my wife is conscious enough about her disabilities but it’s crazy… sitting down in the wheel chair can cause her back to seize up, but standing for long periods can cause the same issue, her legs can be working fine one minute and then a minute later she can’t stand up… so we have always used DAS as without it we wouldn’t be able to do much on the trip… this time will be even harder as we have a toddler with us as well.

Hopefully the issues you have experienced are sorted before we visit text year because nobody should have their requirements trivialised.
I totally know what you mean about wheelchairs. They are absolutely horrific for those who have certain spinal or muscular disorders (spoken as someone with that exact issue - though when that happens I'm stuck in a horrible cycle of pain and spasms for like an hour or two. So exhausting). I too sometimes feel guilty but at the same time some lovely cast member knew my issues and suggested this for a reason. We don't even use it every day. I'll let you know how this goes. Since I got disconnected I have to start again but they are starting the process all over. Watch out for Raynette - who really did think that we got one free FP at at a time. Which I see nothing and confirmed with my friend there they don't see it either. Ugh... if we did I wouldn't use it. Though even with no FP our last trip I used DAS infrequent at best. We paid for a VIP tour which really kept me from having to use it a lot.

For me I cannot keep up with my 13yo LOL, toddlers are hard though.

Rider

If you have had DAS in the past have you tried just saying that and asking to reactivate it for your trip?

We didn't use the virtual option but just telling the Guest Relations host at MK we needed to reactivate it was enough. No other questions.

Trauma

Th
If you have had DAS in the past have you tried just saying that and asking to reactivate it for your trip?

We didn't use the virtual option but just telling the Guest Relations host at MK we needed to reactivate it was enough. No other questions.
This.

I have re activated my Moms many times.

Never received a single question.

correcaminos

I did - she said policy changed. That's all I had to say in the past. She did try to say if the free Genie FP (LOL) didn't work I could get DAS in the park. That's why I'm non the freaking video call right now you ninny!!!!
This.

I have re activated my Moms many times.

Never received a single question.
Same

I'm going in totally differently when they answer this time.

ImperfectPixie

I did - she said policy changed. That's all I had to say in the past. She did try to say if the free Genie FP (LOL) didn't work I could get DAS in the park. That's why I'm non the freaking video call right now you ninny!!!!

Same

I'm going in totally differently when they answer this time.
Please keep us posted.

correcaminos

Never knew you could reactivate in the past 😮 always had to go through it all again and explain.
Still waiting on the video to come up here... but yes, even in June after not being at Disney for 2 years (our trips for 2020 were all planned during the closure) I just went up and said "I'm here to renew my DAS" and they took my pic, scanned magic bands and that was it. My first time getting DAS was kind of a pain. ESL CM was there and I had to pull out a doctor's note as well as e-mail from Disability Services to prove it. This almost felt like the same thing again. When people don't understand disabilities, it seems the burden of proof is more on those requesting. I again don't totally mind, but still don't appreciate when I get attitude.
Please keep us posted.
Will do! Though I've been waiting for a video chat for almost 2 hours now I think, and if it gets too much longer I'll have to quit to make dinner.

Rider

Still waiting on the video to come up here... but yes, even in June after not being at Disney for 2 years (our trips for 2020 were all planned during the closure) I just went up and said "I'm here to renew my DAS" and they took my pic, scanned magic bands and that was it. My first time getting DAS was kind of a pain. ESL CM was there and I had to pull out a doctor's note as well as e-mail from Disability Services to prove it. This almost felt like the same thing again. When people don't understand disabilities, it seems the burden of proof is more on those requesting. I again don't totally mind, but still don't appreciate when I get attitude.

Will do! Though I've been waiting for a video chat for almost 2 hours now I think, and if it gets too much longer I'll have to quit to make dinner.
I know you want to get it ahead of time but it doesn't seem worth it. On Tuesday we waited about 15 minutes at Magic Kingdom for DAS and it was done. It still might be better to do it on your first day at the parks until they figure things out with the virtual option.

ImperfectPixie

From what you've written, they're bordering on lawsuit territory.

Matthew

wow.

when we first went in 2015 they wouldn’t take any proof and in our 2016/17/19 visits they never asked either!

correcaminos

wow.

when we first went in 2015 they wouldn’t take any proof and in our 2016/17/19 visits they never asked either!
I'll be honest I never once had an issue with it afterwards. This person was from another country and really shouldn't have been trying to help at Guest Services IMO. Not that their English was awful (and not judging my husband's first language wasn't English either) it's just I think they missed a nuance or 5 ;) Much like when I was asked to help with Spanish speaking coworkers it still didn't help as I didn't learn all the jargon for telecom in Spanish which was not a good translation to English. They didn't really look at my proof but once I showed them I had it, they let it go.
t it ahead of time but it doesn't seem worth it. On Tuesday we waited about 15 minutes at Magic Kingdom for DAS and it was done. It still might be better to do it on yo
It's a super short trip honestly that's why. I am getting in late the night before and wanted to test out the pre-scheduled stuff.
From what you've written, they're bordering on lawsuit territory.
Don't think so really. They didn't ask for it. I offered. I'm just a pushy person. I'm starting some things for dinner so I'll have to bail in the next 45 minutes if they don't pick up. I was wrong before, it's now just 2 hours waiting for chat. I have my earbuds in to listen when they message me.

ImperfectPixie

Don't think so really. They didn't ask for it. I offered. I'm just a pushy person. I'm starting some things for dinner so I'll have to bail in the next 45 minutes if they don't pick up. I was wrong before, it's now just 2 hours waiting for chat. I have my earbuds in to listen when they message me.
I would consider downplaying a person's issues and attempting to deny access as bordering on lawsuit territory.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out...and I hope they don't give you any further hassle.

correcaminos

I would consider downplaying a person's issues and attempting to deny access as bordering on lawsuit territory.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out...and I hope they don't give you any further hassle.
I consider it par for the course :(

I had a panic attack in line once and people just think it's run of the mill anxiety. My therapist had diagnosed me with PTSD that some pain points (due to my physical issues) trigger because they are in same places I was grabbed while being assaulted. Not that they need to know that, but even with therapy those triggers exist. Many just say its anxiety and I can get over it.

Anyway got through. Had sound issues but CM was super nice. I simply just said I had neurological issues (which I do) and psychological issues (again true) and that was all she needed. Now on hold to schedule my 2 DAS rides. Fortunately for MK and Epcot they (edit: they as in the top tier you cannot schedule) are my least favorite rides. I really avoid Space Mt as it does make my issues worse. I go on it when feeling good only - or did when we did the VIP tour.

I get they want to discourage people, but making me go through this emotionally sucked big time. I had my letter on hand LOL - must be the trick to me. Or next time I just say generic what's wrong.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom