Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Buried20KLeague

You don’t have gift cards sitting around in your life?

if its the last night on your once in a lifetime trip… don’t you think you could simply have a different conversation with the GR person?

or … you could just use the gift card to pay that crazy disney hotel bill on checkout. I can’t see how anyone could live through this suffering…

1. I’m smart enough to stay in bonnet creek.

2. “Once in a lifetime” is their term, not mine…. And it’s meant for families that visit once every 5 years or less. If I knew I wasn’t coming back for 5 years or more, I wouldn’t take a gift card.
And maybe that’s what GR does if there’s pushback. But we haven’t heard that yet. And IMO, they should offer a gift card OR a refund. It’s not hard. They should lead with that. Or make a refund as simple a process as the one they use through the app to TAKE your money.

3. No, I don’t believe I have gift cards floating around that aren’t used.

flynnibus

Premium Member
its an easy fix that means much more to the guest than the house. The fact it’s policy in the first place is the problem. They want this whole rollout to be accepted by guests with open arms?? Don’t screw them over when it’s not in their control. It’s simple.

its a small corner case. The vast majority of people will use the automatic recovery and prefer that. the minority that can’t will get some other form of guest recovery. The fact this is even a concern is mind boggling on a forum where stories of excess guest recovery fall from trees.

People are this concerned about their $20 while they pay disney $80 for stupid prixe menus? The angst over trivial amounts is hysterical

Buried20KLeague

its a small corner case. The vast majority of people will use the automatic recovery and prefer that. the minority that can’t will get some other form of guest recovery. The fact this is even a concern is mind boggling on a forum where stories of excess guest recovery fall from trees.

People are this concerned about their $20 while they pay disney $80 for stupid prixe menus? The angst over trivial amounts is hysterical

if I’m able to ride before the end of the day, I’m good. That’s not the segment we’re talking about.

it’s not up to you to determine what dollars other people care about. If it’s a family of 5 for example, it’s not $20. Surely you know others have different situations than you might. And a majority won’t be as educated about all this as you and I either. Those are the people that could get screwed here.

There is zero cost to TDO for the product they’re selling (already existing capacity on existing attractions that will be used by standby guests if not sold as LL). There is no LOSS for them to refund when necessary. It’s simply off the bottom line for the day.

Who do you think that effects?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nobody did this. You created this narrative in your mind and argued against something no one even suggested.

wait… I wasn’t the one concerned about a situation that hasn’t even happened to me and has a low probability of happening to me… and then being worried about the company KNOWN for bending over backwards was not going to do something about it.

sometimes people just need to stop trying to worry about the waht-ifs and just enjoy their vacation.

if paying $20 suddenly makes a ride being down and unavailable to you a dealbreaker verse every other time your plans were thwarted at wdw… seek help.

and there will be help at GR :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
if I’m able to ride before the end of the day, I’m good. That’s not the segment we’re talking about.

and you need to acknowledge this segment of concern here is a corner case.

it’s not up to you to determine what dollars other people care about. If it’s a family of 5 for example, it’s not $20.

thats the great things about per person costs - they scale linearly without additional explanation required. 5 person group generally has 5x expenses too… 100/20… who cares the relative expense/outlay
Surely you know others have different situations than you might. And a majority won’t be as educated about all this as you and I either. Those are the people that could get screwed here.

if they are concerned all they have to do is talk to any cm and get instructions on how to have their concern heard.

There is zero cost to TDO for the product they’re selling (already existing capacity on existing attractions that will be used by standby guests if not sold as LL). There is no LOSS for them to refund when necessary. It’s simply off the bottom line for the day.

Who do you think that effects?

i still think a refund is the easiest option. I just think the angst and concern here is overblown.

having refunds as standard also opens you to all kinds of new abuse too. And we know how much the disney community loves to game systems to their advantage even if immoral

hopemax

The fact this is even a concern is mind boggling on a forum where stories of excess guest recovery fall from trees. People are this concerned about their $20 while they pay disney $80 for stupid prixe menus? The angst over trivial amounts is hysterical
Maybe because some of us have seen situations that *if* Disney’s vaunted Guest Services and recovery were that great, something should have been offered but wasn’t.

In May, a friend purchased a 4 day ticket to avoid using her old 2 non-expiring days on MDE. She knew she had to have the ticket priority set in advance, so she called IT prior to her trip, and was in a 2 hr queue and the phone call lasted an hour. Got to AK on Day 1, and before we left the park noticed it pulled the 1st non-expiring day, not the 4-day. So she spent over an hour at AK GS to get the ticket restored and was assured that tomorrow it would pull the right one. Next day, at DHS she enters the park, and it pulled the 2nd non-expiring day. Another hour at DHS guest services to get the 2nd day restored. This time the CM was clever enough to put the replacement tickets on a separate MDE profile. But the only thing Disney said was, “There is an old and new ticketing computer and they aren’t talking well.” Not an apology for the mistake or for how much time she spent on this…5 hrs at this point. And certainly no recovery offered such as a free anytime FP. To follow up on this, a couple days ago, I saw on the DIS a thread of people who were in a similar situation who noticed that in one of these updates leading up to Genie+ that their replacement complimentary tickets were no longer showing in MDE at all. I was meaning to ask my friend to double check hers to make sure they were still there, but haven't yet. I just wonder how many people DIDN’T know about the priority process and attempted to get it set right in advance so they don't notice that their non-expiring tickets got zapped until they go to use them. Which I'm sure at that point people will just give up, because how do your prove what you have months or even a year or two after they were zapped?

The actual cost is irrelevant. It’s the principle that when the business screws up, guests shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to get remediation. That is never trivial. Worse now, that phone attempts at contacting GS results in hours on hold. A month or so ago we ordered Jersey Mike’s on mobile order and apparently they were out of brownies. The employee didn’t say a word, but DH noticed. He said, "So you were going to let us pay for brownies that we didn’t receive?" He shrugged and gave him cookies, which cost less. DH filled out a complaint online asking to be credited for the brownies or at least the difference in cookies vs brownies. Yes, it's only like a dollar, but people should never be charged for something they don't receive. The next day the owner called refunded our money for the whole order and gave us a gift card for future use. That’s how you really do recovery.

I’m sure if you cry or make a scene, or they think someone will post on Social Media like a Skyliner incident (which friend had for the 50th and GS was proactively with iPads, giving everyone who exited a FP)... then you get offered recovery. But if you are just there with a big problem and try to be nice and patient, otherwise known as a reasonable customer... I have to wonder how often it really is initiated by Disney based on my friend's situation, which extended to GS in *two* different parks... so no, guest recovery does NOT fall from trees, and they do not fall over backwards even to fix problems their systems created.

Joel

and you need to acknowledge this segment of concern here is a corner case.
A ride breaking down, leading to a situation where you will be unable to experience it (because it never comes back online, you have dinner plans elsewhere and can't make it back when it does, etc.) is not really a corner case. Especially with RotR, of all things.

thats the great things about per person costs - they scale linearly without additional explanation required. 5 person group generally has 5x expenses too… 100/20… who cares the relative expense/outlay
Costs scale linearly, but number of bill payers are usually fixed to one or two per family. Mom and Dad generally care more about a $100 bill than a $20 one, regardless of the number of people that led to its creation. What a weird argument.

i still think a refund is the easiest option. I just think the angst and concern here is overblown.
"In 2021, a company with the resources of Disney should be able to quickly and easily refund your money when a ride goes down for an extended period of time" is an exceedingly reasonable and foreseeable request, not angst. Why this is even a discussion is beyond me. "Just go to Guest Services" sucks for guests and CMs alike.

having refunds as standard also opens you to all kinds of new abuse too. And we know how much the disney community loves to game systems to their advantage even if immoral
Yeah, people are gonna start sabotaging rides left and right just to get, uh, refunds of their own money!

I usually enjoy your posts here, but this is a case where you just need to let it go, let it goooooo.

YorkshireT

They were never going to give people their money back. They have said no refunds.
I’m not an expert in US contract law, but in most jurisdictions, if the thing you contracted for isn’t actually supplied, then certainly you are entitled to a full refund as the contract is breached and any ‘no refunds’ term would fail. There would also probably be group litigation and/ or regulatory body enforcement. As I say I’m no expert in US contract law but based on this logic, the consumer has zero protection. So, for example, a dodgy car dealer could offer to sell you a car, say ‘No Refunds’ and then tell you it will not be supplied and ‘ no refunds’. Doesn’t seem correct, and if that is the state of US consumer protection law, that is a worrying picture on a wider level.
Just because the app says it’s so, doesn’t make it so.

matt9112

I think they need to reduce the window from 2hrs down to 1hr personally.

That would probably put too much pressure on the system. The 2 hour window basically makes this a FP+ for money with better options for your 4th pass and so on. If its a super busy day your probably only getting 3 or 4 rides. If its like yesterday and your savy you can get many more.

The value is relative to the stand by waits though imho. Thus the slower it is when the produt seems to offer the most is when you need it the least.

Really seems like a good idea only to get on SDD than outside of studios day the ILL for rise and maybe fop if you dont rope drop. I think thr value of the product is really sub par.

Patcheslee

Just keep in mind very few people are using it right now.
Just looking at the touring plans crowd levels, no park reached above a 3 yesterday. Usually crowd levels have been 7 to 9 times we have visited, so that is definitely not how I'd expect Genie+ to work for us. Even FoP with a FL had us wait 40 minutes in 2019.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Slinky dog again having a very late return times early on.
77E2C8DA-434E-4438-95F2-A51F7A2D9590.jpeg

Waters Back Side

Just looking at the touring plans crowd levels, no park reached above a 3 yesterday. Usually crowd levels have been 7 to 9 times we have visited, so that is definitely not how I'd expect Genie+ to work for us. Even FoP with a FL had us wait 40 minutes in 2019.

Yeah, this. I have to expect that when I'm there New Years week it will be a better test for me during peak crowd levels. I am glad though it is live so I can see how it really works before my trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom