World Drive Phase-III

mhaftman7

I've driven that for 30 years. I couldn't disagree more, for all the worry in planning that overpass has worked out well. And there are plenty of side streets that run parallel (like the one that takes you to the Chickie n Petes area) where you can exit off 70/73 early.
The problem is the congestion was not resolved. The circle was not easy to navigate, but as a local resident, I generally avoid that area because of the traffic. The SB traffic from mid-May to late-September, especially on Fridays, backs up from Target to the overpass. I’ve worked in that area and it can take up to an hour to move one traffic light! 70 is horrific at times. From the bottle neck out of Medford to Springdale has to be at least 10 traffic lights. Personally, I don’t understand why they didn’t just make an intersection. Two offsetting left turning lanes from 73 to 70 and vice versa, two parallel lanes to maintain traffic, and a merging lane to make the right. It would have eliminated two bottle necking east-west traffic lights and created a much needed break in traffic north-south. Idk. I just feel with the influx in housing and increase in local traffic, it could have been better. That being said, I cannot weight (pun intended) for The Chicken or The Egg to open.

maxairmike

While there may be additional bigger, longer range reasons for this road re-route, in the near term @hopemax is more likely on the money, and the use of roundabouts instead of intersections kind of give it away IMO. Increasing traffic down Floridian Way in its current alignment is an operational and safety headache with Cast and non-valet guests needing to cross the road to get to and from their cars, and widening it as currently aligned would be troublesome. If you have to cut into the golf course regardless, it makes more sense to go ahead and realign the road completely to increase safety and efficiency for guests and Cast while allowing for some facilities improvement at the Grand with the removal of a road right there. The majority of this whole World Drive project has been aimed at improving traffic flow/access for Cast and guests north of property, and this is yet another improvement along those lines (removes speed humps and a signaled intersection, along with a better widening situation).

The work on the golf course is already underway, and I'm definitely looking forward to this all getting completed.

TrippedUp

The problem is the congestion was not resolved. The circle was not easy to navigate, but as a local resident, I generally avoid that area because of the traffic. The SB traffic from mid-May to late-September, especially on Fridays, backs up from Target to the overpass. I’ve worked in that area and it can take up to an hour to move one traffic light! 70 is horrific at times. From the bottle neck out of Medford to Springdale has to be at least 10 traffic lights. Personally, I don’t understand why they didn’t just make an intersection. Two offsetting left turning lanes from 73 to 70 and vice versa, two parallel lanes to maintain traffic, and a merging lane to make the right. It would have eliminated two bottle necking east-west traffic lights and created a much needed break in traffic north-south. Idk. I just feel with the influx in housing and increase in local traffic, it could have been better. That being said, I cannot weight (pun intended) for The Chicken or The Egg to open.
I'm not sure how this became a SJ traffic thread, but I definitely disagree with you. 73 was the higher traffic corridor that needed the solution and the overpass resolves that very nicely. If you're going from the turnpike to Virtua, that intersection is not your pain point anymore. 70 is still bad, but I don't see it as any worse than prior. I distinctly remember sitting at that circle/intersection hybrid for multiple light cycles not moving an inch due to cars blocking the path. Regardless, I don't see this location getting anywhere near NJ traffic, and a 2 lane circle with truck apron will be fine. Our town has been putting these in high accident locations recently and I like the safety factor. People take them slower if only due to hesitancy and folks rarely get hurt in a low speed collision. Can't say I really care if someone's commute is a couple minutes longer if more people walk away from crashes OK.

castlecake2.0

question for those that are way more into this stuff than me...
Just West of this proposed re route... there is golf course and wet lands, correct? How much land is that?? Is it suitable to be built upon???
They’ve been buying up chunks of land in this area, mostly around reedy lake. There’s potential to build more there or it might be just used as a buffer.
079171CA-8E5B-4EC6-B98A-D9728920DE90.jpeg

Soluna16

I know its probably been mentioned but the GF to MK pathway having a branch that goes off to the side towards the undeveloped area was clearly not random and will be used for this development. I imagine this is getting announced at the the next D23.

Tom Morrow

While they're at it, I wish they would spruce up the Sherbeth Road entrance. A LOT of guests use this since they are staying in the 192 area and following their GPS. It could use a nice smaller entrance sign at least.

tonymu

Premium Member
Looking at the images I was confused as to why there is a traffic circle into the TTC parking area and that there was not an intersection for Seven Seas Drive. Looking at the permit files more closely, you can see that the Southern most traffic circle that looks like it goes into the corner of the TTC parking lot is marked as Seven Seas Drive. Where the current intersection is located, the drawing says remove pavement. It looks like Seven Seas Drive will also be re-routed. The drawings in the permit do not show the actual re-route. I have drawn in yellow a possible route. Much like the re-route of Floridian Way to join the Grand Floridian parking lots, it looks like they are also looking to join the Polly parking lots and remove another pedestrian crossing from a busy road.
WDW-Floridian Way @ Seven Seas.jpg

Movielover

I know its probably been mentioned but the GF to MK pathway having a branch that goes off to the side towards the undeveloped area was clearly not random and will be used for this development.
Negative Ghostrider, The spur leads to the already existing utility access that was there before the path was built. That spur is simply for maintenance vehicles to evenly climb onto the path, thus keeping wear and tear down. Whatever access is built for whatever will be built there will be much closer to the MK than that maintenance spur is.

Phicinfan

So, we have potentially a site between GF and Park for new resort. I HAVE to assume(yes, I know what happens when you assume...) that a tie into MK is the plan. I also agree that following the path of Star Wars, this will have some direct access to MK as part of the culture and indepthness(is this a word?).

So, I know we have Port Orleans French Quarter - but could this be some tie in to the update for Splash Mountain?
Fire Mountain would also be great, but I simply don't see that kind of expansion coming to MK anytime soon.

I also would not discount a Jungle Cruise tie in, as they are already working on version 2 by some reports(at least scripts and concepts).

I am sad that they have walked away from Reflections, done properly that could have been a really great site IMO.

vikescaper

Looking at the images I was confused as to why there is a traffic circle into the TTC parking area and that there was not an intersection for Seven Seas Drive. Looking at the permit files more closely, you can see that the Southern most traffic circle that looks like it goes into the corner of the TTC parking lot is marked as Seven Seas Drive. Where the current intersection is located, the drawing says remove pavement. It looks like Seven Seas Drive will also be re-routed. The drawings in the permit do not show the actual re-route. I have drawn in yellow a possible route. Much like the re-route of Floridian Way to join the Grand Floridian parking lots, it looks like they are also looking to join the Polly parking lots and remove another pedestrian crossing from a busy road.
View attachment 594345
I was wondering about that as it seemed weird that they would have a roundabout leading into cast member parking.

ryguy

Did they actually hire a golf course architect to come in and oversee the changes/design something new to replace what's being altered? Or are they just doing it in-house?

Not that the Disney courses are anything to write home about, but doing that kind of work on a golf course in-house often leads to poor results.
Yeah I am interested in the golf portion of this project. I see you can make a tee time for magnolia at least through middle of January. Since Arnold Palmer runs the courses I am sure their course architects will redesign 16 and 17.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah I am interested in the golf portion of this project. I see you can make a tee time for magnolia at least through middle of January. Since Arnold Palmer runs the courses I am sure their course architects will redesign 16 and 17.

I found the permit for this and it says it will be impacting holes 14 through 17.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
So, we have potentially a site between GF and Park for new resort. I HAVE to assume(yes, I know what happens when you assume...) that a tie into MK is the plan. I also agree that following the path of Star Wars, this will have some direct access to MK as part of the culture and indepthness(is this a word?).

So, I know we have Port Orleans French Quarter - but could this be some tie in to the update for Splash Mountain?
Fire Mountain would also be great, but I simply don't see that kind of expansion coming to MK anytime soon.

I also would not discount a Jungle Cruise tie in, as they are already working on version 2 by some reports(at least scripts and concepts).

I am sad that they have walked away from Reflections, done properly that could have been a really great site IMO.
I was also thinking an MK tie-in would be likely. The site doesn't give perfect access to MK, though, because of the canal that houses the EWP and leads back into the Rivers of America. There'd be a need for another bridge or something over that canal. Of course they could build a themed bridge/entrance if desired, but it seems like, if they were going to do that, they wouldn't have built the bridge that opened last December.

pdude81

I assume nothing about a tie-in, but a Haunted Mansion themed hotel would be incredible. I don't think an immersion play would work as well here in the same way they are setting up SWGS. I hope for something heavily themed, not the Incredibles touch they put on Contemporary and not an opt-out cosplay. Bob would like that it ties in with an upcoming movie and a timeless attraction that (re)appears at every resort they build.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom