News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Lilofan

I

Everyone on earth had to deal with the same scenarios…

and they were dictated what to do in most of those cases.

and the two “big” decisions that were made were wrong…

trusted Florida and laid off everyone.

I mean…nothing I type really should affect your trip. You might just want to mute me until the fog clears.
Did not layoff everyone, kept on essential staff , just the facts. Sounds like good business sense regardless if it is Chapek in charge of the re-org or not.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
…I’d be interested to hear some honest opinions about the relocation?

thanks for posting this 👍🏻
It should be a long-term win with some short-term pain. Disney shouldn't have any hard time recruiting creative talent once they're up-and-running. All indications are that they'll have state of the art facilities, and they'll be able to offer above-market (for Florida) compensation while still saving money.

That said, in the short term, they're going to have HUGE turnover, which is expensive. They'll be able to get new talent, but their existing talent are largely "California people" and "California people" don't want to move to Florida.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Oh you know…racism, cancel culture, social justice warriors, agendas…
woody-if-the-boot-fits.gif

Lilofan

They didn’t have to layoff anyone…and it wouldn’t have cost them a dime.

misread the situation in real time
Now that's a neat magic trick, wouldn't have cost them a dime.. But Disney managed to pay cost of health insurance of the thousands that were furloughed which was a good thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I may be misremembering the timeline, but when they made those decisions, I don't think a second tranche of PPP was even being discussed yet.
what does that matter?

they didn’t have go fill out an app for a mortgage…the federal government gave out hundreds of billions of corporate “assistance” and it wasn’t disclosed to anyone outside the treasury. (Sorry…that is a fact…it happened)

Disney being in entertainment and tourism likely received some ($50 bil has been suggested…but no evidence because it was specifically forbidden)

it would have taken 1 call to Munckin to get the payroll. Not even a minute. Because the “string attached” would have been political capital.

really easy…the Bobs played it wrong…even if they had reason.

this is one of those “I have no proof…but it’s absolutely true” type things.

and I’m just dude.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now that's a neat magic trick, wouldn't have cost them a dime.. But Disney managed to pay cost of health insurance of the thousands that were furloughed which was a good thing.

the layoff period wasn’t the prototype “roar of free market” where the things you brought up mattered for a second.

follow the money and the power. It’s easy here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It should be a long-term win with some short-term pain. Disney shouldn't have any hard time recruiting creative talent once they're up-and-running. All indications are that they'll have state of the art facilities, and they'll be able to offer above-market (for Florida) compensation while still saving money.

That said, in the short term, they're going to have HUGE turnover, which is expensive. They'll be able to get new talent, but their existing talent are largely "California people" and "California people" don't want to move to Florida.
I think it’s a double edged sword…

I’ll try to keep the relocation on the other thread to not muddy the waters…however

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You probably did if you think it was a good idea to keep all on payroll while most of parks and resorts were closed. Weathering the storm of covid made for some difficult decisions to be made ( for many companies ) but some get caught up in conspiracies etc.
I don’t necessarily think they made the “wrong” decisions at that time…because of the unknowns.

but the beauty of history and just a touch of human tendencies is that you can look at it again.

could have played it different. Not suggesting they should be pillared for it.

no conspiracy. No tired 1980’s dogma nonsense either.

Brer Oswald

…I’d be interested to hear some honest opinions about the relocation?

thanks for posting this 👍🏻
I don't think relocating to Florida is theoretically a bad idea. WDW is the most popular out of all of their resorts, yet it has been the one to continuously get the short end of the stick. Most of the expansion in the US parks is going to be in WDW. Not to mention, we have seen many times where the folks in Glendale didn't consider Florida conditions when executing their designs for the Florida parks (see Toy Story Land shade, SWGE drainage, etc).

That being said, losing talent over a forced move is never a good thing. Not everyone can just pick their families up and move across the country. Disney probably lost a lot of talented Imagineers they would have otherwise liked to keep, and I don't think alternative solutions should have been out of the question for some individuals. We are moving to a digital future, and there is a lot that can be done at home and online.

Despite not being satisfied with many of the recent creative decisions in the parks, I don't think the downsizing of WDI will help at all with the state of the parks. In fact, I only see it getting worse. The "bloat" in management is still there. The people that don't get it are still at the top. Perhaps we could see some visionaries outside the company from the east coast apply to WDI when they otherwise couldn't. But that would require the decision makers be open to something new.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No. Not at all.

Have you been on Guardians or walked through the queue. It has such cheap design/props such as black construction paper and spraypaint vs what came before it.
That still doesn't play into the narrative that's being put forward though.

If you're building from scratch, a "cheap" version saves you money versus the "expensive" version. But when the expensive version is already built, it would be cheaper to leave it alone than to spend MORE money to transform it into the cheap one.

M:SpilotISTC12

If Chapek sells off ESPN, it just shows that anything and everything is on the chopping block. Maybe this gives some slight credence to that rumor that DVC could be sold? I'm sure if they rework the boarders they could sell off AK and AKL. 😂

JoeCamel

If Chapek sells off ESPN, it just shows that anything and everything is on the chopping block. Maybe this gives some slight credence to that rumor that DVC could be sold? I'm sure if they rework the boarders they could sell off AK and AKL. 😂
ESPN has a problematic business model, DVC not so much

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There have long been rumors that they could sell off part - if not all - the tv components.
Tv used to equal free money…with the rise of streaming and reduction of cable consumption…these rumors will persist.

anecdotally…I have purchased the out of market nhl package for 20 years…

first 10 was cable…last 10 or so stream.
Well low and behold: the league streaming service is no more. Apparently espn cut their new deal to eliminate that and make me go to ESPN+…which I begrudgingly did yesterday.
But it’s now half the price as it was before…

why would that be? Disney offering a “discount”? Or is it just to add to their streaming numbers for Wall Street consumption? Which it appears is all that matters.

M:SpilotISTC12

There have long been rumors that they could sell off part - if not all - the tv components.
Tv used to equal free money…with the rise of streaming and reduction of cable consumption…these rumors will persist.

anecdotally…I have purchased the out of market nhl package for 20 years…

first 10 was cable…last 10 or so stream.
Well low and behold: the league streaming service is no more. Apparently espn cut their new deal to eliminate that and make me go to ESPN+…which I begrudgingly did yesterday.
But it’s now half the price as it was before…

why would that be? Disney offering a “discount”? Or is it just to add to their streaming numbers for Wall Street consumption? Which it appears is all that matters.
As a fellow hockey fan (Go Devils), I'm actually happy with the out of market streaming. It's definitely cheaper than NHL TV was along with better quality. But your last two sentences are right on the nose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom