News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Brer Oswald

I'm not saying he's free of sins, far from it. But at least Iger had the sense not to significantly alter classic rides, or even remove them entirely. *cough cough* Splash Mountain *cough cough* Such a move in my eyes brings you down to the lowest of lows.
The 21st century SotS/Splash Mountain blunder is on Iger. That fire existed before he came in, but he made sure to pour lots of gasoline on it instead of water.

NickWilde

The 21st century SotS/Splash Mountain blunder is on Iger. That fire existed before he came in, but he made sure to pour lots of gasoline on it instead of water.
I still don't get why they need to change it. Your average park-goer probably doesn't even know about Song of the South because Disney's been burying it for the past 30 years. They're more likely to associate the Briers with SM than the movie they originally came from. This whole move just reeks of virtue signaling to me.

Very accurate comparison btw.

ImperfectPixie

I still don't get why they need to change it. Your average park-goer probably doesn't even know about Song of the South because Disney's been burying it for the past 30 years. They're more likely to associate the Briers with SM than the movie they originally came from. This whole move just reeks of virtue signaling to me.

Very accurate comparison btw.
There's an entire thread dedicated to arguments as to why they should/shouldn't retheme it.

ImperfectPixie

Care to direct me there?
You've been fairly warned. Make this the second warning.

Brer Oswald

Oh dear.

NickWilde

I really wish I never asked... That whole thread is probably the most fiery flame war I've ever seen on here

fgmnt

I'll give you Maelstrom, but I forgot what he did to Pirates and at least we still got the Tower of Terror in Florida, as tragic as the loss of the Cali one was.

This has been litigated before, but the Guardians retheme plussed up what was originally a panicked construction of a value- engineered version of the original Tower. There's no real tragedy unless you're a real Tower of Terror diehard based on the west coast. Now, if they did what they did in Anaheim to Orlando, that would have been pretty unforgivable.

Lilofan

I know…chapek made zero actual decisions except being price goon/hatchet man prior to this year
Let's see, theme parks around the world closed, resorts near empty, cruise ships not running, Disney stores around the USA flat line and that's just for starters. It is not rocket science that difficult decisions had to made to furlough thousands of workers of all levels of the company including layoffs to weather the difficult last year / the covid storm. It is really easy to say hatchet man in these circumstances. If one thinks that the staff should not have been furloughed when many operations were closed/ not fully operating , that person is really in fanasyland.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I
Let's see, theme parks around the world closed, resorts near empty, cruise ships not running, Disney stores around the USA flat line and that's just for starters. It is not rocket science that difficult decisions had to made to furlough thousands of workers of all levels of the company including layoffs to weather the difficult last year / the covid storm. It is really easy to say hatchet man in these circumstances. If one thinks that the staff should not have been furloughed when many operations were closed/ not fully operating , that person is really in fanasyland.
Everyone on earth had to deal with the same scenarios…

and they were dictated what to do in most of those cases.

and the two “big” decisions that were made were wrong…

trusted Florida and laid off everyone.

I mean…nothing I type really should affect your trip. You might just want to mute me until the fog clears.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Related to the Disney Florida move:

(Click the tweet if you want the full thread).

Here's the thread discussing that relocation -

Disney Analyst

Here's the thread discussing that relocation -

Thanks, I was really too lazy to find that thread and I thought this one was close enough 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom