News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

britain

My scattered thoughts on the subject:

There are two types of people that are being told to come to WDW to enjoy its 50th Anniversary:

One is the Disney fan who hasn’t been to WDW before but hopes to some day, or who has been before but it’s been a really long time.

The other is a non-fan who is simply looking for something fun to take their family to this year.

The festivities are NOT designed for WDW regulars. Disney KNOWS you are already coming.

A DL “Remember Dreams Come True” style show would be kind of lost on the two target audiences. I remember being at DL back in 2005 and being shocked that their nighttime firework show actually included an audio snippet of “permanacer sentados, por favor”. It’s an obvious Matterhorn reference for local fans, but a mighty deep cut for everyone else.

Once again, this is what you get when Disney World is a global destination, and Disneyland being a popular regional park. DL gets to be niche, while WDW guests will always be spoken to as if they are the lowest common denominator of guest. I don’t mean like one person is better than another. I just mean they aren’t just talking to you Disney park fans, they are talking to the guy who is here because he likes Star Wars, Guardians, and his daughters keep playing Frozen on repeat.

Unfortunately that guy wouldn’t get why Roy Disney would show up in the middle of a fireworks show.

Last edited:

wtyy21

My scattered thoughts on the subject:

There are two types of people that are being told to come to WDW to enjoy its 50th Anniversary:

One is the Disney fan who hasn’t been to WDW before but hopes to some day, or who has been before but it’s been a really long time.

The other is a non-fan who is simply looking for something fun to take their family to this year.

The festivities are NOT designed for WDW regulars. Disney KNOWS you are already coming.

A DL “Remember Dreams Come True” style show would be kind of lost on the two target audiences. I remember being at the DL back in 2005 and being shocked that their nighttime firework show actually included an audio snippet of “permanence se sentablose, por favor”. It’s an obvious Matterhorn reference for local fans, but a mighty deep cut for everyone else.

Once again, this is what you get when Disney World is a global destination, and Disneyland being a popular regional park. DL gets to be niche, while WDW guests will always be spoken to as if they are the lowest common denominator of guest. I don’t mean like one person is better than another. I just mean they aren’t just talking to you Disney park fans, they are talking to the guy who is here because he likes Star Wars, Guardians, and his daughters keep playing Frozen on repeat.

Unfortunately that guy wouldn’t get why Roy Disney would show up in the middle of a fireworks show.

Your point is partially wrong. Disneyland is actually no longer as the regional park as it was in the past, but becomes the one of most popular vacation resort in the world. There are lot more out-of-state or international visitors visiting Disneyland, mostly from Asia-Australia despite visitors in DL are majority locals.

Back to the topic. Despite WDW is a global destination, why visitors love Epcot Forever, which was WDW equivalent of RDCT despite underwhelmed and not as good as RDCT (more akin to 1999 Fantasy in the Sky at the MK) and most original attractions song are very rarely heard by EPCOT first timers.

britain

As much as DL’s global draw has increased, it’s still a 70/30 locals park.

And while Epcot Forever is absolutely park-nostalgic, it was also designed to be something of a warning shot: “All ye fans of old Epcot, enjoy the music while ye can, because none of those attractions are coming back.”

It would be funny if “broader-audience” Harmonious is such a dud that they go back to EF just to keep the locals from griping on social media.

gerarar

Premium Member
Main Street projections had horrible frames per second tonight, looked really bad :hilarious:
You weren’t kidding! They were literally running at 5fps or something, lol!

Here’s a livestream from tonight with timestamp embedded of when MS projections first come on. They were never fixed and remained this way to the end of the show.

Also been noticing the past couple days that some pyro is already being switched around. For example, lots of shells were switched to smaller horsetail shells and the finale has been scaled back. But this could of course be due to supply issues and such.

Last edited:

wtyy21

Here’s a livestream from tonight with timestamp embedded of when MS projections first come on. They were never fixed and remained this way to the end of the show.

Also been noticing the past couple days that some pyro is already being switched around. For example, lots of shells were switched to smaller horsetail shells and the finale has been scaled back. But this could of course be due to supply issues and such.

I hope the castle pyro cut not becomes permanent, unlike Disneyland does since 2019.

Giss Neric

There a couple of moments where there is a zooming sound in main street that sounded really good but yeah the projections are not as crisp and clear as Disneyland's main street projections. The reveal though is really good.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Your point is partially wrong. Disneyland is actually no longer as the regional park as it was in the past, but becomes the one of most popular vacation resort in the world. There are lot more out-of-state or international visitors visiting Disneyland, mostly from Asia-Australia despite visitors in DL are majority locals.

Back to the topic. Despite WDW is a global destination, why visitors love Epcot Forever, which was WDW equivalent of RDCT despite underwhelmed and not as good as RDCT (more akin to 1999 Fantasy in the Sky at the MK) and most original attractions song are very rarely heard by EPCOT first timers.
But when RDCT came out, DL was very much a locals park.

And Epcot Forever isn't the best example, as it didn't get very high guest satisfaction ratings. So I think @britain's point is right.

Brian

I'd personally be almost fine with a show like Disneyland Forever, in which the intro and finale were about the park or Walt/Roy etc., and the middle (and majority) were movie clips, considering the requirement these days to ensure every show has them. Of course, I'd prefer a Remember Dreams Come True style show for the 50th, but I also recognize the realities of guest demographics at WDW.

That being said, would it have been particularly onerous to have even mentioned Walt in the intro narration?

Last edited:

britain

Remember Dreams Come True, it could be your first visit to Disneyland and you may have never seen a Disney film, and you will get the references in the show.

I think by that very definition you will NOT get the references, but if your point is that “just because you don’t get it doesn’t mean you won’t still enjoy a well-put-together show” that’s very true.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I think by that very definition you will NOT get the references, but if your point is that “just because you don’t get it doesn’t mean you won’t still enjoy a well-put-together show” that’s very true.
Assuming a first-timer has been at the park since morning, riding and experiencing the same attractions represented in the 9:30 pm showing of RDCT, they shouldn’t have a problem understanding at least the majority of the references, unless they have a spotty memory.

Also, it’s “permanacer sentados, por favor.”😉

Disney Analyst

I hope the castle pyro cut not becomes permanent, unlike Disneyland does since 2019.

They had fully cut castle pyro for Mix Magic, as that show was created during the castle refurb.

Halloween Screams still has full castle pyro/flamethrowers. As will Believe in Holiday Magic. Hopefully Disneyland will get a proper summer show again…

TrainsOfDisney

I'd personally be almost fine with a show like Disneyland Forever, in which the intro and finale were about the park or Walt/Roy etc., and the middle (and majority) were movie clips, considering the requirement these days to ensure every show has them. Of course, I'd prefer a Remember Dreams Come True style show for the 50th, but I also recognize the realities of guest demographics at WDW.

That being said, would it have been particularly onerous to have even mentioned Walt in the intro narration?
Exactly - at least make reference to the park and it’s history, even if the majority of the show has to be movie IP vs. park IP.
Disneyland Forever was lame.
I disagree. It was one of my favorites and I was really glad they brought it back. I never got tired of seeing it.

Touchdown

I have a soft spot for Pooh so DL’s forever H&W section was always one of my favorites.

However, if I’m being objective, The Jungle Book and Lion King portions were the true highlight of the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom