Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jeff4272

So if I understand this right, as a person coming for a one week stay, now I only have to:
1) book park reservation 60 days out
2) book dining reservations 60 days out
3) pay $75 per day for me, my wife and 3 kids for genie + per day x 7 days
4) pay $75 per day for the top tier IAS for the 5 of us per day
5) pay $35 per day for the “second tier” IAS per day
6) wake up at 7am every day to do all this
7) pay for my ride from the airport that used to be free
8) pay for my Magic band that used to be free
9) pay for parking that used to be free
10) pay to stay at deluxe if I want 2 nights per week in Epcot or MK

All this was free for the last 49 years and 11 months and I used to only have to get up once and cost nothing to do the same thing?

all while paying an additional $249 per person, another $1,295 for 5 of us, for a 4 hour Christmas party that’s not even a party?

this is awesome, not confusing, not expensive, totally reasonable and I can’t wait to experience it!

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

So if I understand this right, as a person coming for a one week stay, now I only have to:
3) pay $175 per day for me, my wife and 3 kids for genie + per day x 7 days
4) pay $175 per day for the top tier IAS for the 5 of us per day
10) pay to stay at deluxe if I want 30 mins in the am and 2 nights per week in Epcot or MK

All this was free for the last 49 years and 11 months and I used to only have to get up once and cost nothing to do the same thing?

all while paying an additional $249 per person, another $1,295 for 5 of us, for a 4 hour Christmas party that’s not even a party?

this is awesome, not confusing, not expensive, totally reasonable and I can’t wait to experience it!

hey, you’re more than welcome to just not do it. Just ask a number of people here. It shouldn’t matter to you if you spend hours and hours more than others in lines. It’s totally up to you!! That’s the beauty of this new and blessed system! You can have your vacation YOUR WAY! Thank you, TDO!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So if I understand this right,
You don't.
Nope. Book them same-day if you want.
Used to be 180, which I assume you think was worse? So that's an upgrade.
3) pay $175 per day for me, my wife and 3 kids for genie + per day x 7 days
No.
No.
No.
No.
Yes, this is a real and 100% valid criticism.
Nope. You can use an old one. Or your phone. Or a plastic ticket.
Another legitimate criticism. You're on a roll!
10) pay to stay at deluxe if I want 30 mins in the am and 2 nights per week in Epcot or MK
Nope, all resort guests get the 30, not just deluxe.

castlecake2.0

3) pay $75 per day for me, my wife and 3 kids for genie + per day x 7 days

Some valid criticisms, but just to clarify a few others, DME has only been around 15 years or so, before that you’d have to pay for transport. Extra magic hours also started as a (albeit cheap) up charge and was only available on a very limited basis at MK, extra magic hours at all parks didn’t come to mid 2000’s. Guests can use Key to the World card for free, just like prior to 2012, if they do not wish to buy/reuse magic bands.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You know what's hilarious? I think IAS is a terrible product that makes things unnecessarily complicated and is a tremendous waste of money. I'm not saying it's good. I'm not defending it. I'm sure as hell not going to buy it. I'm merely mocking the completely unhinged reaction of people acting like this is akin to the collapse of Western civilization itself.

I'm going to keep going to Walt Disney World because it makes me happy and it makes my family happy. And I'm just going to not buy any of these Lightning Lanes.

Last edited by a moderator:

dreday3

I own 5 telecom companies…. That can be verified by members here. @marni1971. I believe his opinion is trusted here.

you’re the biggest Disney honk on this board currently…. And that’s saying something.

there’s a reason I joined here in 2004 (or whatever it was) and hardly post anymore.

what they’re doing is further killing the Disney parks. Which began a decade or more ago. But because Disney fans are willing to take a special level of abuse, it will continue. There will be a breaking point…. But we’re not there. Till then I’ll continue to be a pass holder in Hong Kong and Tokyo.

I can't with this board anymore.

I just passed out from the hot air. 😂

Enjoy your conversations Men!

castlecake2.0

You know what's hilarious? I think IAS is a terrible product that makes things unnecessarily complicated and is a tremendous waste of money. I'm not saying it's good. I'm not defending it. I'm sure as hell not going to buy it. I'm merely mocking the completely unhinged reaction of people acting like this is akin to the collapse of Western civilization itself.

I'm going to keep going to Walt Disney World because it makes me happy and it makes my family happy. And I'm just going to not buy any of these Lightning Lanes.
“It is a guest choice environment” to quote Jim MacPhee.

Jeff4272

Me either. Like the people in Paris, I think this will fail based on expectations and people will not pay for it.

I love wdw too, that’s why I read these things and post here but I also know when I’m getting taken advantage of and when to push back

These changes are so over the top, expensive, confusing and unnecessary.

Oh. Did I mention expensive?

Jeff4272

So for my family of 5 to get all the benefits would be $15x5=$75 for genie+ plus $15x5=$75 for first IAS at Rise of resistance plus $7x5=$35 for other IAS so an additional $185 per day x 7 days there = $1,295 additional for what was free for the last 49 1/2 years?

plus no ME, free magic band, free parking, advanced booking, have to wake up at 7am?

captian America. Please correct me

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

Just a hunch...

seems presumptuous… he called into question my business acumen, I replied with what I assumed would be board approved proof.

but carry on.

my point was…. Disney continues to punish their most ardent followers to the point of abuse. That doesn’t usually turn out well. Sometimes it takes far longer for the rebellion…. But it usually happens at some point.

dreday3

seems presumptuous… he called into question my business acumen, I replied with what I assumed would be board approved proof.

but carry on.

my point was…. Disney continues to punish their most ardent followers to the point of abuse. That doesn’t usually turn out well. Sometimes it takes far longer for the rebellion…. But it usually happens at some point.

It just all seems silly, doesn't it? 😂

My vacation is almost here. 12 days and poof! I'll be but a memory.

Until the next time....if...

Buried20KLeague

It just all seems silly, doesn't it? 😂

My vacation is almost here. 12 days and poof! I'll be but a memory.

Until the next time....if...

I’ll tell you what I say here over and over…. With a bit of planning you can get your Disney fix at a place that still doesn’t break your bank. And see some culture too.

I can’t visit WDW without feeling abused. It sucks. It didn’t used to be that way.

all of this is bad for the brand we all love. The bubble WILL burst. Just don’t know when. And the problem is with the mandate to increase share price quarter over quarter (plus executive bonus structure), it’s possible it might be awfully late to turn the ship around.

homerdance

let's remember there is a whole list of rides that have never been on the Fastpass system and are there for you to enjoy as essentially walk-ons.

01. Astro Orbitor
02. Liberty Riverboat
03. Triceratop Spin
04. Carrousel of Progress
05. Peoplemover
06. Tom Sawyer Island
07. Animal Kingdom Express Train to Planet Watch
08. Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico
09. Magic Kingdom Carrousel

Or save even more by not going into the parks. Just go ride the busses, skyliner, and monorail.

Stupid logic is stupid.

They are not going to manipulate lines to sell more ILL. Besides being bad for business, that could actually get them into serious trouble with the FTC.
I agree it looks bad but have they not done it before? They reduce the number of ride vehicles and only operate one side etc. They hold people at the door and rope off areas to give the impression lines are longer than they are. They reduce hours of CM so they don't have enough workers to run the rides etc. Just like restaurant workers when half the tables are full but the line is out the door. Not enough chefs in the kitchen or not enough servers to serve.

I have never heard anyone mention getting into trouble with the FTC before. I always thought when it came to the parks they did what they pleased unless there was the fear of loss of business and by the acts of Chapeck, he is no way concerned with that because the data tells him otherwise. Per him, this is now a data driven company. Yikes!

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ll tell you what I say here over and over…. With a bit of planning you can get your Disney fix at a place that still doesn’t break your bank. And see some culture too.

I can’t visit WDW without feeling abused. It sucks. It didn’t used to be that way.

all of this is bad for the brand we all love. The bubble WILL burst. Just don’t know when. And the problem is with the mandate to increase share price quarter over quarter (plus executive bonus structure), it’s possible it might be awfully late to turn the ship around.
If Disney breaks someone’s bank and makes them feel abused, why on earth would they continue to go there? Why go to a place that makes you feel bad about it? I assume the people who continue to go find value in the experience.

Jeff4272

If Disney breaks someone’s bank and makes them feel abused, why on earth would they continue to go there? Why go to a place that makes you feel bad about it? I assume the people who continue to go find value in the experience.
Well we should soon find out right?

these changes are new and haven’t been implemented yet…… you know that right?

mikejs78

Premium Member
I agree it looks bad but have they not done it before? They reduce the number of ride vehicles and only operate one side etc. They hold people at the door and rope off areas to give the impression lines are longer than they are. They reduce hours of CM so they don't have enough workers to run the rides etc. Just like restaurant workers when half the tables are full but the line is out the door. Not enough chefs in the kitchen or not enough servers to serve.

I have never heard anyone mention getting into trouble with the FTC before. I always thought when it came to the parks they did what they pleased unless there was the fear of loss of business and by the acts of Chapeck, he is no way concerned with that because the data tells him otherwise. Per him, this is now a data driven company. Yikes!
The difference between what they have always done and doing it for LL is that by manipulating things before, it didn't cause a sale of something to happen. So they could manipulate it all they wanted because it had no monitary impact on the guest. But if it were found that they manipulated crowds to increase sales, that would put them right in the middle of the FTC's jurisdiction and squarely into consumer fraud territory.

Buried20KLeague

some don’t know they’re being abused during the abuse.

But you’re right…. We very rarely go to WDW anymore and instead get our Disney fix where we feel we still get value, and can be stimulated outside the parks far more than Orlando can provide.

this new money grab just infuriates me, and brought me back for a rare post or three.

Buried20KLeague

The difference between what they have always done and doing it for LL is that by manipulating things before, it didn't cause a sale of something to happen. So they could manipulate it all they wanted because it had no monitary impact on the guest. But if it were found that they manipulated crowds to increase sales, that would put them right in the middle of the FTC's jurisdiction and squarely into consumer fraud territory.

the manipulation is also all behind closed doors and completely impossible for a guest to realize.

It’s devious.

very slight tweaks can impact the bottom line. That’s a very tasty carrot dangling in front of a company we ALL know is squeezing every last drop of blood from the rock.

homerdance

Trying to figure out who is the target demographic that will pay $15 per day per person for EPCOT and AKL. In reality it is $15 for an ILL pass for test track with free LLs for a few other rides at EPCOT.

Literally 2 rides that have a Wait on a regular basis on the gp$+ soarin is almost always walk-on after 7 and test track is down anytime it rains.

Attachments

• B869621A-7788-42A0-B0F0-EC67E46DAA1C.jpeg
    B869621A-7788-42A0-B0F0-EC67E46DAA1C.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 63

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom