Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

Patcheslee

Why does Universal have enough housekeeping staff?
They don't
Do they? We’ve read mixed reports on Royal Pacific as we prep for our upcoming HHN stay in a couple weeks.

Either way, those are Lowe’s employees. Perhaps plenty of hotel companies can learn what they’re doing, because every “lesser” Hilton brand I’ve stayed in over the past few months is also struggling mightily with housekeeping and basic customer service.

Uni has done some things very well in regards to getting up to speed (merch hotel delivery, new attraction completion), but there’s still some growing pains there, too (shuttering of UEU site construction until very recently).
We were at Hard Rock in June, with no housekeeping trash was continually always in the hallways, but removed quickly. Trashcans around the area full many times, dirty/wet benches were a constant though. We were there 6 nights and the same dirty room towel stayed on the sidewalk near the Woodstock lawn.

Casper Gutman

They don't

We were at Hard Rock in June, with no housekeeping trash was continually always in the hallways, but removed quickly. Trashcans around the area full many times, dirty/wet benches were a constant though. We were there 6 nights and the same dirty room towel stayed on the sidewalk near the Woodstock lawn.
I’ve been more recently. There was daily housekeeping in rooms, housekeeping responded very promptly to requests, and I saw no problems at all with waste bins or similar issues.

And whether Uni owns or runs the hotels or not - the point is merely to show that other hotels have managed to return to normal faster.

ToTBellHop

I’ve been more recently. There was daily housekeeping in rooms, housekeeping responded very promptly to requests, and I saw no problems at all with waste bins or similar issues.

And whether Uni owns or runs the hotels or not - the point is merely to show that other hotels have managed to return to normal faster.
If Disney must triage, get a freakin’ daily cleaning at the Deluxe resorts. I don’t stay at the Grand but those rooms should have full cleanings. I get that impoverished people like me, slumming it at the Beach Club, might have to kill our own bed bugs, but at the Grand?!?!

ToTBellHop

And we really think meet and greets are returning soon?
I recently learned that I am the Magic, so I’ve been working on my own costume and will offer free hugs at MK Friday evening:

1633384231533.jpeg

I’ll be offering Lightning Lane.

VaderTron

I wonder if they've seen an increase for preferred parking that's influenced them to keep trams down.
More likely, they saw the reduction in fuel costs, maintenance costs, and CM numbers. Saving so much for not moving people from their car to the gate? I can hear the buzz in the exec lunchroom now: "This is great! They walk miles in the park anyway. What's another 500 steps added to their total for the day? We'll call it our newest green initiative that also supports the 'healthy lifestyle' image we want to push. Win, win win!"

sullyinMT

That’s good to hear. But did you need to request, or was daily service “normal” without making special requests? Because other national brands, franchised or not, are struggling all over the US. I almost get the impression that a well-oiled operation at Uni is the exception to the rule right now.

RP was great last August, but everything was on a text on demand type system; nothing normal about it. It was also eerily empty and lacking in Orchid Lounge and a full menu at Islands and Jake’s. Then, it seems they went through some growing/re-normalization pains this summer as crowds swelled. Hopefully they’ve ironed it out, and your experience is the norm and not the exception, but they (Universal and Loews) haven’t been immune to labor issues.

sullyinMT

More likely, they saw the reduction in fuel costs, maintenance costs, and CM numbers. Saving so much for not moving people from their car to the gate? I can hear the buzz in the exec lunchroom now: "This is great! They walk miles in the park anyway. What's another 500 steps added to their total for the day? We'll call it our newest green initiative that also supports the 'healthy lifestyle' image we want to push. Win, win win!"
It’s the “Mickey Check” method of parking and transportation!

matt9112

Can’t really blame them when people expected massive crowds and are instead waiting 30 min for RotR…I do remember stating many days back that I didn’t expect the October crowds people on here were afraid of…

Im curious how many AP holders never materialized due to the new costs and such like myself. The AP bucket although less profitable is good for the slow times of the year.

Casper Gutman

That’s good to hear. But did you need to request, or was daily service “normal” without making special requests? Because other national brands, franchised or not, are struggling all over the US. I almost get the impression that a well-oiled operation at Uni is the exception to the rule right now.

RP was great last August, but everything was on a text on demand type system; nothing normal about it. It was also eerily empty and lacking in Orchid Lounge and a full menu at Islands and Jake’s. Then, it seems they went through some growing/re-normalization pains this summer as crowds swelled. Hopefully they’ve ironed it out, and your experience is the norm and not the exception, but they (Universal and Loews) haven’t been immune to labor issues.
Oh, I know, every chain struggled. Jakes seems to be back to normal. It was my impression that daily housekeeping is the rule, but I always do a request-only system, even before the pandemic.

CaptainAmerica

We had housekeeping at Portofino at the end of August. Well, they forgot to leave fresh towels (they removed the old ones) but the beds were made, etc.
Universal has never been shy of stratifying the guest experience based on what tier of hotel they're in. Portofino and Hard Rock got their services back a hell of a lot faster than Endless Summer or whatever they call it.

For good or ill, Disney has been much more democratic in the reopening process. Grand Floridian isn't getting any faster return-to-service than Art of Animation.

A quick phone call and we had towels in 5 minutes.
That was my experience at Caribbean Beach in April and Coronado Springs in September as well.

Goofyernmost

Labor. There will be less hours scheduled.
So call um back with a certain number of hours and then changing that? Or is it a different group of cast members? Maintenance or hotel staff or fewer overseeing the attractions? Or were they called back with lesser hours?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom