The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Casper Gutman

MGM opened when Wells was still at Disney in 1989?

AK may have been scaled down but it continues to be, in my opinion, the most detailed and themed park at WDW (minus Chester & Hesters which should go). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but in terms of immersion it's fantastic. DCA was the big misfire, along with the direct-to-video sequels.
AK is, outside of the attractions themselves, a masterpiece. The DtV sequels were easily ignored.

DCA is interesting. Is it better to build a bad thing or no thing? I’d lean towards the former - as we saw with DCA, a glaringly lackluster park or attraction has a pretty good chance of forcing the hand of even a reluctant exec whereas nothing - well, we’ve seen how long nothing can last.

Dan Deesnee

1 bedrooms always have the best availability of different unit types though. Studio availability usually is the best indicator of demand, no?

Say whatever you want but this is not normal. I've been booking DVC vacations long enough to know that this is a level of availability I've never seen only five and six months out.

Saratoga standard non-preferred has almost the entirety of April available and at least half of March - that's only five and six months out.

Bay Lake Tower standard studio has about 10 days available in April only 6 months out.

Old key West standard studio has almost all of April, half of March, and 10 days of February available still.

Boulder Ridge standard studio has half of April still available.

Riviera standard non preferred view, 8 nights in April still available. Preferred view has almost all of April available.

Animal Kingdom resorts had a ton of availability too.

The only resorts that were pretty full up were Beach Club and Boardwalk but even they had spotty availability and only 5 and 6 months.

Main point being is that this does not bode well for a nearly 2-year-long celebration of the 50th anniversary when they can't even fill DVC rooms up for spring breaks in April.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah I find the sudden… warped history of the Eisner era being described on these boards as a bit… delusional. And I don’t mean that to be rude, but you sort of hit the nail.

I think people are allowing their memory of what happened back then be clouded.

Save Disney happened for a reason. The 50th at Disneyland itself was only saved by Matt Ouimet and the transition from Eisner to Iger. The renaissance of Disneyland happened during that time.

Lest we forget Marcelo Torres and his untimely death all as a direct result of the mismanagement and cost cutting under the Eisner era. Disneyland was decaying. Disney’s image was dying. Save Disney and then end of the Eisner era is what brought the parks back to shining standards: as good as the shining standards from long ago? Probably not. But significantly better then they were.

I don’t think the Disney we are complaining about today even comes close to what was happening back then.
100% agree. I always find it puzzling when people start saying that they want Eisner back. There are issues now and I complain plenty(!), but I really don't think people remember clearly or know how bad things were by the time he left. As you say, this went beyond the parks to Disney's reputation more broadly being nickel and dimed away.

I kind of feel that when people accuse Disney of being cheap it is a hangover from that period when Disney was very actively and openly trying to do everything on the cheap, including allowing Disneyland in particular to get into very bad shape. Whatever other complaints may exist about him, I think Iger was ultimately willing to spend big on the parks and resorts. I also think he meddled less than Eisner, who seemed to think of himself as Walt 2.0 but whose instincts often weren't all that great.

That's not to dismiss all the complaints people have about Iger, but it's just to say that a lot of the revisionism about the Eisner period involves forgetting almost a decade of the parks progressively going into decline and the company as a whole no longer seeming an industry leader even in animation.

Disney Analyst

100% agree. I always find it puzzling when people start saying that they want Eisner back. There are issues now and I complain plenty(!), but I really don't think people remember clearly or know how bad things were by the time he left. As you say, this went beyond the parks to Disney's reputation more broadly being nickel and dimed away.

I kind of feel that when people accuse Disney of being cheap it is a hangover from that period when Disney was very actively and openly trying to do everything on the cheap, including allowing Disneyland in particular to get into very bad shape. Whatever other complaints may exist about him, I think Iger was ultimately willing to spend big on the parks and resorts. I also think he meddled less than Eisner, who seemed to think of himself as Walt 2.0 but whose instincts often weren't all that great.

That's not to dismiss all the complaints people have about Iger, but it's just to say that a lot of the revisionism about the Eisner period involves forgetting almost a decade of the parks progressively going into decline and the company as a whole no longer seeming an industry leader even in animation.

I think people confuse not enjoying creative choices and decisions, with cheapness. Disney has certainly cut costs in areas, including entertainment. No doubt.

But Disney has also invested billions into the parks under Iger.

Not liking the creative choices made is not the same as the rot Disney faced during Eisner.

CaptainAmerica

I think people confuse not enjoying creative choices and decisions, with cheapness. Disney has certainly cut costs in areas, including entertainment. No doubt.

But Disney has also invested billions into the parks under Iger.

Not liking the creative choices made is not the same as the rot Disney faced during Eisner.
Amen. Harmonious sucks, but it would have been CHEAPER to just keep running ROE.

Disney Analyst

Amen. Harmonious sucks, but it would have been CHEAPER to just keep running ROE.

I mean, you know I don’t agree. I think harmonious is pretty great - but that’s the best thing about creative arts, everyone will have a different opinion.

I wish a show like Harmonious would pop up somewhere in Vancouver so I could enjoy some real quality spectacle anytime I wanted. 😂

But we can all agree with your last part. Would have been much cheaper to continue to run ROE, but I do think it did really need to end its run.

Vegas Disney Fan

MGM opened when Wells was still at Disney in 1989?

AK may have been scaled down but it continues to be, in my opinion, the most detailed and themed park at WDW (minus Chester & Hesters which should go). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but in terms of immersion it's fantastic. DCA was the big misfire, along with the direct-to-video sequels.
Perhaps I should have said pre Euro Disney… Eisner lost his nerve after the debacle in Paris (still the most beautiful Disney park in my opinion) and everything he did after that was budget based rather than quality based.

That’s not to say we didn’t get some quality post Euro, despite DCA 1.0 being a disaster Grizzly rapids is stunning to this day, that doesn’t forgive generic amusement park rides in paradise pier though, I also think AK itself is stunning but other than the safari Eisners AK was seriously lacking rides and half the ones it did open with were generic off the shelf amusement rides.

I’d love to see what Eisner would have given us on both coasts had EuroDisney been a success out of the gate. Westcot and the OG AK were very grand in nature, after the initial failure in Paris the budgets for both were slashed drastically though.

Tokyo Disney shows what the imagineers are capable of, it’s just too bad management won’t let them go wild.

Last edited:

tanc

Bit disappointing celebration, I really dislike how the castle paint is. I guess it's here to stay, but I don't think it really works well at all. Sad all the merch will be scalped as well... truly making my last trip I think my last for a while. I just don't see the value in visiting anytime soon.

Casper Gutman

Didn’t we learn very recently that a lot of the “save Disney,” DL in crisis stuff was very carefully stage-managed by… interested parties within the company? I want to make sure my memory of this is correct…

JohnD

These plushies were for sale when Shanghai Disneyland opened (see exhibit in Epcot China pavilion). Why couldn’t quality merchandise like this be offered for the 50th. I mean. They’re gold. Just make more and sale as 50th anniversary plushes.

A02B7F00-66A3-4A61-8CFC-B66516F61D9D.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom