Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

That's the whole point of masks. We don't know who has the disease so everyone wears a mask just in case they have it.
And that's the biggest issue I have with all mitigation. We are treating everybody as if they are infected with SARS-CoV-2 and contagious when, even with rampant community transmission during the worst spikes less than 1% are actually contagious.

DisneyCane

Don't worry, they'll report the death numbers next week or probably the week or two after. We'll find out all those patients left through the wrong door. Opps.

(People may laugh at this. Hopefully it is just dark humor and not reality.)
For the ICU numbers that could be a significant contributor (if your post is taken seriously) but I'd imagine that most who die from COVID go through the ICU before taking the wrong exit.

ABQ

Wow, those hospitalizations are dropping! Great news!
Hopefully cases drop even faster as I fear hospitalization rates won't drop as fast as they are now if treatments outside the hospital are not as available as they had been with supplies of antibodies being reduced across some states:

dreday3

I do now think - and this isn't a statement for or against - that masks indoors are going to be here for a long time.

I say this because Illinois's positivity rate is now 2.7% (7 day average) and we have 1900 cases in the hospital. So we definitely aren't following the metrics we followed last time mitigations were eased.

So I would say anyone waiting for Disney to drop masks based on a certain percentage, I don't think you are in luck.

Chomama

I do now think - and this isn't a statement for or against - that masks indoors are going to be here for a long time.

I say this because Illinois's positivity rate is now 2.7% (7 day average) and we have 1900 cases in the hospital. So we definitely aren't following the metrics we followed last time mitigations were eased.

So I would say anyone waiting for Disney to drop masks based on a certain percentage, I don't think you are in luck.
I can imagine a world in which Disney drops masks once anyone who wants to be vaccinated can be. We should be there by the holidays or shortly there after. Part of the issue is the percentage of their guests who are between the ages of four and 12. Some parents don’t want to travel or don’t want to travel without masks when they have a maximum of family members. Once everyone is eligible for the vaccine and it remains so effective, I don’t see how they can keep masks around.

Kman

I think he is Canadian. There are no exemptions for Medical or religious in BC for example.

I literally have no idea of the legality as it pertains to the states though. It's earnestly not my field.

As an aside, knowing the actual medical exemptions I'm not even sure if there are more than triple digit number of people who would qualify in North America to be exempted from both doses. I think a case was made if you are that medically rare you are being protected by not participating in non-essential activities.

Some of the provincial licensing bodies have gone far enough to say there actually aren't medical exemptions.
correct...I am Canadian. We can get away with this kind of stuff in Canada to some degree- I realize you can't in the States. It was just a frustrated comment about the religious exemption. I personally think it's ridiculous but I understand the US constitution allows for it. I think it's unfortunate that between politics and religion people can't opt-out. It would be much better for everyone if there were no exemptions other than legitimate medical reasons. It's not perfect up here either. We have folks who have strange/illegitimate ideas about what constitutes a reason not to get vaxxed.

JoeCamel

Hopefully cases drop even faster as I fear hospitalization rates won't drop as fast as they are now if treatments outside the hospital are not as available as they had been with supplies of antibodies being reduced across some states:
Good news, there is a safe and effective vaccine that will almost certainly render this type of treatment unnecessary

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Please find me the study that shows the risk reduction accomplished by people wearing masks for brief periods walking to a table and the restroom in restaurants. Trying to argue with a straight face that those policies make any sense whatsoever would be like me arguing (AND TO BE CLEAR I AM NOT) that getting vaccinated is more risky than not.

They can choose not to go to a restaurant that doesn't allow masks. Since there's probably fewer than 50 in the whole country, it's an easy thing to do.
You seriously don't get the point of wearing masks at all yet. Wearing a mask is NOT to prevent YOU from getting COVID - it is to prevent YOU from INFECTING SOMEONE ELSE. I really don't understand why people STILL don't get that. Since you are vaccinated, you may have COVID and not know it due to extremely mild symptoms, but you MAY still be able to infect others. So if no one in the restaurant is wearing a mask and you walk to the bathroom, you MAY have just infected someone that isn't vaccinated. Understand now?????????

ABQ

Good news, there is a safe and effective vaccine that will almost certainly render this type of treatment unnecessary
Yeah, I know, and I took it in Feb, but to just say "oh you fools, you could have avoided this" and then just let the hospitals be overwhelmed is ignorant.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You seriously don't get the point of wearing masks at all yet. Wearing a mask is NOT to prevent YOU from getting COVID - it is to prevent YOU from INFECTING SOMEONE ELSE. I really don't understand why people STILL don't get that. Since you are vaccinated, you may have COVID and not know it due to extremely mild symptoms, but you MAY still be able to infect others. So if no one in the restaurant is wearing a mask and you walk to the bathroom, you MAY have just infected someone that isn't vaccinated. Understand now?????????
I think he gets it. He is just saying he doesn’t care. Why should he have to be inconvenienced to protect someone else? They are taking the risk being there so if they want to stay safe from him they can stay home.

lazyboy97o

And that's the biggest issue I have with all mitigation. We are treating everybody as if they are infected with SARS-CoV-2 and contagious when, even with rampant community transmission during the worst spikes less than 1% are actually contagious.
Because even that small percent is enough to fill up hospitals and cause all sorts of disruptions for everyone else. But that’s less of an inconvenience to you so you don’t care.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, I know, and I took it in Feb, but to just say "oh you fools, you could have avoided this" and then just let the hospitals be overwhelmed is ignorant.
If there’s a shortage they need to allocate it and prioritize the people most in need. I think the fear is in certain places (like FL) they were giving this out like candy but there is a limited supply and not everyone who got it probably needed it.

Heppenheimer

If there’s a shortage they need to allocate it and prioritize the people most in need. I think the fear is in certain places (like FL) they were giving this out like candy but there is a limited supply and not everyone who got it probably needed it.
Does Florida have a set of criteria beyond just a positive COVID test? If not... there's probably a lot going to waste on people unlikely to benefit.

DisneyCane

Does Florida have a set of criteria beyond just a positive COVID test? If not... there's probably a lot going to waste on people unlikely to benefit.
I can't speak for what they do at every site in FL but I know for a fact that there are criteria to qualify and they aren't supposed to give it out "like candy." I also know for a fact that at more than one location the criteria are followed.

DisneyCane

So I'm likely to infect somebody by passing by them for two seconds but not by spending an hour eating and talking and spewing droplets?

Part of what causes completely nonsensical mitigation like this is people have watched too many movies and TV shows and think that there is instantaneous transmission. That is highly unlikely without coughing in somebody's face.

I'd be willing to bet that if you put 1000 COVID negative shoppers in a walmart and then had an asymptomatic COVID positive person walk in one door, walk down every aisle in the store and walk out the other door that nobody gets infected if the person didn't cough or sneeze while close to somebody.

SteveAZee

So I'm likely to infect somebody by passing by them for two seconds but not by spending an hour eating and talking and spewing droplets?

Part of what causes completely nonsensical mitigation like this is people have watched too many movies and TV shows and think that there is instantaneous transmission. That is highly unlikely without coughing in somebody's face.

I'd be willing to bet that if you put 1000 COVID negative shoppers in a walmart and then had an asymptomatic COVID positive person walk in one door, walk down every aisle in the store and walk out the other door that nobody gets infected if the person didn't cough or sneeze while close to somebody.
While that's possible, there are involuntary coughs and sneezes that happen and not everyone properly covers their mouths and noses when doing so, so there's the RISK that that person could spread it involuntarily. They get a tickle in their nose or throat, or they already have the common cold, or a whiff of someone's perfume causes it. It's about shifting the odds lower, and masks and social distancing do that... shift the odds.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the report last week to this report is 2,340.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.30.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.31.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.31.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.31.25 PM.png

DisneyCane

While that's possible, there are involuntary coughs and sneezes that happen and not everyone properly covers their mouths and noses when doing so, so there's the RISK that that person could spread it involuntarily. They get a tickle in their nose or throat, or they already have the common cold, or a whiff of someone's perfume causes it. It's about shifting the odds lower, and masks and social distancing do that... shift the odds.
For goodness sake. Arguing this point is just for the sake of argument. Every reasonable person including those who support more mitigation agree that wearing a mask for the brief periods of moving through a restaurant does nothing at a macro level to reduce the risk of indoor dining. Yes, there will be some outlier where somebody walking through stops and sneezes at another table and infects somebody. Exceedingly rare outliers are not justification for pointless policies.

I'm sure I can find cases of doctors and nurses early on who had COVID patients cough in their face when they didn't have PPE and didn't catch COVID. That doesn't mean that PPE should not be used by doctors and nurses while treating COVID patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom