News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

KYDVC

WDW will have at least 56 rides by the time EU is built. Plus a world's fair, a zoo, and a slew of shows, and several nighttime spectaculars.

UO has 16 rides... let's call it 18 by the time EU is built. EU will have 10 rides (let's add two for optimistic surprises). That's 40 rides. Compared to 56.

WDW will be ahead of Uni for a long time.

It's good that Universal is starting to catch up, and I hope they do well. But it won't affect WDW.
I’m sure you’re right on the ride count, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone discuss ride count when talking of planning a vacation.

The perception, at least in my mind, is that Universal is putting money into developing their business and competing to catch up with WDW. Meanwhile, Disney is putting their resources on coming up with more ways to squeeze their customers for every dime they can.

I have been a DVC member since 2010, and up until this year, never contemplated a Universal trip. But with all the increase in costs, and decrease in value, Universal is looking more attractive all the time. This is especially the case since I can get a week in Universal, including hotel, for less than I can using my points and staying at Disney.

ToTBellHop

I’m sure you’re right on the ride count, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone discuss ride count when talking of planning a vacation.

The perception, at least in my mind, is that Universal is putting money into developing their business and competing to catch up with WDW. Meanwhile, Disney is putting their resources on coming up with more ways to squeeze their customers for every dime they can.

I have been a DVC member since 2010, and up until this year, never contemplated a Universal trip. But with all the increase in costs, and decrease in value, Universal is looking more attractive all the time. This is especially the case since I can get a week in Universal, including hotel, for less than I can using my points and staying at Disney.
Disney World is opening two E-ticket roller coasters next year. C’mon. There is a perception that Disney is trying to get more money from us (and Universal isn’t with Express Passes?) but no one sees Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE, MMRR, Rat, and the two coasters on the way and claims Disney is being lazy.

KYDVC

Disney World is opening two E-ticket roller coasters next year. C’mon. There is a perception that Disney is trying to get more money from us (and Universal isn’t with Express Passes?) but no one sees Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE, MMRR, Rat, and the two coasters on the way and claims Disney is being lazy.
I’ll see your new lands and raise you a cancelation of DME, lightning lane, genie +, and an increase of nearly 50% in AP costs for DVC, not to mention all the other things Disney is nickel and dimming you for.
That’s not to mention that it’s taking them longer to build a coaster that they already have elsewhere in the world than it took for them to turn a swamp into the Magic Kingdom. May not be lazy, but it doesn’t sound like they have their noses to the grindstone either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’ll see your new lands and raise you a cancelation of DME, lightning lane, genie +, and an increase of nearly 50% in AP costs for DVC, not to mention all the other things Disney is nickel and dimming you for.
That’s not to mention that it’s taking them longer to build a coaster that they already have elsewhere in the world than it took for them to turn a swamp into the Magic Kingdom. May not be lazy, but it doesn’t sound like they have their noses to the grindstone either.
Many of the perks were to drive up the number of guests. WDW doesn't need to do that anymore. Their most popular park is regularly overcrowded. And so, they've clawed back the perks. It sucks for those who've come to enjoy and/or rely on those perks. But Disney is beating back guests at this point. And two CEOs have gone on record that they recognize that an overcrowded park drives down guest satisfaction. They'd rather have satisfied guests paying a premium, than hordes being given financial discounts/perks.

Both options have aspects that both hurt and enhance 'the brand', but one of them makes a lot more money.

OG Runner

With universal building a whole new theme park Disney better start building. They need to add another 5 to 10 rides on top of what they are building so they can keep ahead of universal. They also have to be mindful of the coming recession within the next 12 months! A lot of tough decisions need to be made.
Universal's park, Epic Universe is still at least 3 to 4 years out. Remy's, Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron will all be opening within the next year. Why do you think Disney would be concerned? Disney already has 4 parks to Universals 2. (which are in fact smaller) If you want to include Volcano Bay for Universal then you have to include Disney's waterparks and that is an additional 2 to 1. Honestly Disney could do nothing until Epic Universe is opened and they are still a much bigger, much more diverse destination. Also realize the economy is the same for Universal and they will have the same "tough" decisions to make.

ToTBellHop

Many of the perks were to drive up the number of guests. WDW doesn't need to do that anymore. Their most popular park is regularly overcrowded. And so, they've clawed back the perks. It sucks for those who've come to enjoy and/or rely on those perks. But Disney is beating back guests at this point. And two CEOs have gone on record that they recognize that an overcrowded park drives down guest satisfaction. They'd rather have satisfied guests paying a premium, than hordes being given financial discounts/perks.

Both options have aspects that both hurt and enhance 'the brand', but one of them makes a lot more money.
The biggest thing for me is that I like the wait times now. If this experience can continue, I‘ll pay. If I start paying and crowds trickle upwards due to greed, I’ll (threaten to) stop going (but probably keep going because I’m an addict).

My95cobras

5 years to build 2 coasters?

ImperfectPixie

One is also very short-sighted.

My95cobras

When attendance is regularly at its peak, or, when their is a world wide pandemic, why should WDW rush to complete them?
So,they have something to offer their guests other than a construction site with nothing but dick going on. Like epcot that’s a disaster and will be for years. The entirety of epcot is 6 to 7 hours total worth of rides and shows. Ak, is less, studios is about the same as ak.

doctornick

Agreed. Disney has been doing fine in terms of their investing in the parks in recent years. On par with Uni at least. They have done this despite also making things less consumer friendly in other ways with upcharges and removing perks.

That said, I think there is a valid argument that Disney isn't doing investing in the future: as things now stand, 2023-2025 seems like it will be a wasteland of any new things at WDW, while Uni is building a whole freaking new park. That is when complaints would be valid of the lack of investment.

ToTBellHop

Agreed. Disney has been doing fine in terms of their investing in the parks in recent years. On par with Uni at least. They have done this despite also making things less consumer friendly in other ways with upcharges and removing perks.

That said, I think there is a valid argument that Disney isn't doing investing in the future: as things now stand, 2023-2025 seems like it will be a wasteland of any new things at WDW, while Uni is building a whole freaking new park. That is when complaints would be valid of the lack of investment.
There are two large projects set for 2025 that I know of. And I’m sure minor additions as well. Shows, for example.

DAK1928

There is no way Crush’s coaster gets cloned. The concept can be copied but it can’t get cloned. The capacity is way too ridiculously low. The only way Crush’s coaster would come to the U.S. is vía a vehicle similar time traveler at Silver Dollar City, which means the ride would have an entirely different footprint.
Capacity in current build would certainly be an issue. But it could always get the DL -> WDW Space Mountain treatment with a modified ride vehicle or an extra track if they were committed to the idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom