News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

RSoxNo1

Bring on the Excavator PLEASEView attachment 588565View attachment 588566View attachment 588567View attachment 588568
If they continued the excellent dig site theming of the boneyard over to where dinorama is right now, Dinoland would be instantly redeemed

This would be awesome, but perhaps another 48-inch height requirement ride isn’t the right call? It’s a really cool concept, however.
Yeah @MansionButler84 hit it on the head. As cool as it would be to have the excavator, I think that largely died once Everest was built. The park needs stuff that everyone can ride.

Another presumably unpopular opinion of mine is that the other thing that this area would be good for is Disney's first actually high intensity coaster. Even if they scrap the Rama aesthetic and extend the Boneyard's environment, I can't think of another environment Disney has that could reasonably accommodate an attraction with a large, partially exposed coaster. Sure Everest is right there, but I'm talking about one that dwarfs Everest in intensity. Now, will this ever happen? Probably not, but it would be cool.

X2?

cookiee_munster

I was just there at AK before labor day, but sadly I am blanking a bit on the layout. Given the popularity of the Pandora Expansion at AK, and the fact that over the course of the next several years there is to be 4 separate sequels, is there anyway to leverage an expansion of Pandora into this section of the park? I mean the existing Pandora section of the park is amazing, and still drives crowds, and 4 new movies is a hell of a lot of IP and merchandising tie ins to not take advantage of. Even if it is not directly connected (and I will be going to look at a map of the park after this post) it is recollection that the rumors of the Avatar sequels involved different area's of Pandora and possibly different species/living conditions. If the two sections are not contiguous, and can't be made so you could play that off as traveling to the different living environments of Pandora.

I honestly don't think the sequels will be massive smash hits. I just have this feeling that most people had their fill from the first film and may catch the sequels at some point, but won't rush out to go see them when they are released in cinemas. I'd like to think that avatars roaring success at the box office was because of the story and characters etc, but the sole reason it raked in all that cash was because of the tech behind it. The groundbreaking special effects, the fact that it was a film created specifically for 3D and that people had to see it in 3D. At the time tickets for 3D films were really quite pricey which is why every studio then jumped on the bandwagon shortly afterwards. Then 3D TVs were released. It was the next big thing. And now look. 2021, you don't see many new TV's these days being released with 3D capability and i'm certain any new films that have been released in cinemas haven't had a 3D release either.
Disney were really dumb to jump onto this bandwagon. They brought up a franchise purely because it was the highest grossing film of all time, and not really understanding that it's staying power in pop culture will fizzle out as quickly as Laurence Foxes pop career. But that's what desperation is. A knee-jerk reaction to universals incredible success with Harry Potter. This is why now we'll only ever see IP based stuff. Which is a shame, because a lot of it doesn't have staying power as much of a completely unique story and creation.
I don't hate that they built Pandora, btw. I'm kind of miffed that they had to go and build it in Animal Kingdom. It's kind of ruined any chance with them carrying on with the continents of the world theme they started out with. But it's got conservation at its heart, which was an important thing for Joe Rhode before he was shoved retired.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll go for another acquisition tact that no one has broght up: National Geographic.
Jeff Goldblum has a popular NatGeo series that has just started a new season.

So, Imagine this: You're in a jeep with Jeff Goldblum as you tour the park filled with AA dinosaurs! For suspense, we can get a really big one to chase the jeep!!!

Jones14

Primeval Whirl’s height requirement was 48”, so they could add something as intense as Everest and it would still be making the park more accessible to younger guests.

With that said, if Triceratop Spin goes too, I’d bet it will be a no height requirement addition unless there’s more than one attraction going in.

It also says a lot about their general care for AK’s theming that most of the IP options actually sound like good fits.

ToTBellHop

Primeval Whirl’s height requirement was 48”, so they could add something as intense as Everest and it would still be making the park more accessible to younger guests.

With that said, if Triceratop Spin goes too, I’d bet it will be a no height requirement addition unless there’s more than one attraction going in.

It also says a lot about their general care for AK’s theming that most of the IP options actually sound like good fits.
The 48” requirement was a major flaw.

If I were in charge, I’d instruct Imagineers to set a requirement no higher than 40”.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This is what kinda confuses me because they don't have many IPs that can be used that would make sense? There's the Good Dinosaur which was a flop and now Ice Age which I know they're interested in investing in, but i doubt will be used in the parks anytime soon. I guess the Wilderness Explorers/ UP is a possible way to attach an IP as well. Don't get me wrong I'd love and prefer for whatever replacement they plan on doing to be original but I just thought they weren't interested in non-IP attractions anymore.
S.E.A. makes it all kosher.
I love it. I'm 100% on board with this.
Yes, but only if it's an LPS or classic dark ride. Boat ride is too close to Uni's attraction. That and I feel like DAK has enough waterbased vehicle attractions even if some are a bit meh. I want a Heimlich Choo Choo train combined with Universe of Energy 1.0 and the ability to "feed" dinosaurs using something akin to Turtle Talk tech. DHS could use the boat ride.

Last edited:

ryguy

I really liked the Indy coaster in Paris, to me that would be a great fit here. Its a fun little coaster that could be themed anyway they wanted.

DisneyNeighbor

With universal building a whole new theme park Disney better start building. They need to add another 5 to 10 rides on top of what they are building so they can keep ahead of universal. They also have to be mindful of the coming recession within the next 12 months! A lot of tough decisions need to be made.

UNCgolf

Imagineer Jim Shull speculated tonight on Twitter that Crush's Coaster could easily fit the plot to form a Finding Nemo mini-land between Asia and Dinosaur... seems very logical to me

I guess this would be good for me in the sense that it would pull people away from all the other rides in the park, but I'd be very disappointed because I couldn't care less about riding Crush's Coaster. Not that I was interested in Primeval Whirl either, but it would be nice if the replacement is something I actually wanted to ride.

It would be doubly good if it meant they killed the atrocious Nemo ride in EPCOT and returned it to Sea Cabs (especially if they'd spend money to upgrade the aquarium as part of the switch) but there's almost no chance that happens.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Imagineer Jim Shull speculated tonight on Twitter that Crush's Coaster could easily fit the plot to form a Finding Nemo mini-land between Asia and Dinosaur... seems very logical to me
There is no way Crush’s coaster gets cloned. The concept can be copied but it can’t get cloned. The capacity is way too ridiculously low. The only way Crush’s coaster would come to the U.S. is vía a vehicle similar time traveler at Silver Dollar City, which means the ride would have an entirely different footprint.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With universal building a whole new theme park Disney better start building. They need to add another 5 to 10 rides on top of what they are building so they can keep ahead of universal. They also have to be mindful of the coming recession within the next 12 months! A lot of tough decisions need to be made.
WDW will have at least 56 rides by the time EU is built. Plus a world's fair, a zoo, and a slew of shows, and several nighttime spectaculars.

UO has 26 rides... let's call it 28 by the time EU is built. EU will have 10 rides (let's add two for optimistic surprises). That's 40 rides. Compared to 56.

WDW will be ahead of Uni for a long time.

It's good that Universal is starting to catch up, and I hope they do well. But it won't affect WDW.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

There is no way Crush’s coaster gets cloned. The concept can be copied but it can’t get cloned. The capacity is way too ridiculously low. The only way Crush’s coaster would come to the U.S. is vía a vehicle similar time traveler at Silver Dollar City, which means the ride would have an entirely different footprint.
Exactly. They literally built two Primeval Whirl coasters because of the capacity needs in FL. and Crush would be more popular than PW (better ride according to most people, lower height requirement).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom