Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

TBrooker11

There are honestly tons of themeing issues throughout lands of the parks that are worse than this. I wouldn't change it at all. For example you have Tomorrowland Speedway which is this point is nothing futuristic. Same thing with CoP, even though I love it the last seen is from what? The late 80's/early 90's? Epcot was never supposed to have characters in it according to Walt yet it does. All of AK is themed as countries except for DinoLand. There are plenty of things that need to be worried about first like HS and Epcot needing some makeovers. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with any of these things (Other than Tomorrowland Speedway) being where they are or how they are.

FigmentPigments

Okay, I know I'm in the minority, but it's always kind of bothered me that Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain are next to each other. Something about a wet ride next to a "desert" ride was just off with me. That saying, I wish Splash Mountain could be picked up as is and moved somewhere else since it is one of the better rides at Disney World. As far as placing it in Frontierland, it's not the worst thing, but I can see why it would be "out of place". I greatly enjoy Frontierland and would not mind seeing something else take the place of Splash.

Donaldfan1934

My response to changing the ride into something else.

Seriously though, they should've built a Critter Country just beyond Big Thunder. That way they wouldn't have had to make stupid and unnecessary thematical changes like the score. Disneyland's score is easily one of, if not the, best ride scores ever so they should've kept in the WDW version. The area also overcrowds since there are two E-tickets right next to each other. In the end, it was a bad choice to put it where they did, but Frontierland is a decent enough fit for some not to notice and at least the ride exists somewhere in the park.

Last edited:

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
I think it works because Splash Mountain has a "rustic feel". I like the location as is,Frontierland isn't nessecarily western or desert. It's more of a time period. If anything I would have Splash Mountain in Liberty Square.I was just in Disneyland and it was kind of a nuisance to ride big thunder then walk around the Rivers of America to Critter Country.

lazyboy97o

I think it works because Splash Mountain has a "rustic feel". I like the location as is,Frontierland isn't nessecarily western or desert. It's more of a time period. If anything I would have Splash Mountain in Liberty Square.I was just in Disneyland and it was kind of a nuisance to ride big thunder then walk around the Rivers of America to Critter Country.
Frontierland as a whole may not be Western, but that should not negate the organization of the land's design.

hayzer11

Frontierland as a whole may not be Western, but that should not negate the organization of the land's design.
Agreed, However I don't think it is a total negation of the theming. I actually like the placement of the Train station and I feel that other than the fact that Splash Mountain would probably take place in the southeast US, and Big Thunder southwest, they are both "frontiers" at the time of the late 19th century.

lazyboy97o

Agreed, However I don't think it is a total negation of the theming. I actually like the placement of the Train station and I feel that other than the fact that Splash Mountain would probably take place in the southeast US, and Big Thunder southwest, they are both "frontiers" at the time of the late 19th century.
Your point still has nothing to do with the organization of the rest of the land as a journey from east to west.

hayzer11

Your point still has nothing to do with the organization of the rest of the land as a journey from east to west.
Yeah that's why I thought Liberty Square was a good Idea. Either way it's not a bad fit, for me anyways. I'm speaking from a theming and crowd flow point of view. I took organization of the lands design meaning theming.

Matt_Black

So how does the Country Bears or Tom Sawyer Island fit in to the organization? They're just as out of place as Splash is, but you've yet to complain about either of those.

lazyboy97o

Yeah that's why I thought Liberty Square was a good Idea. Either way it's not a bad fit, for me anyways. I'm speaking from a theming and crowd flow point of view. I took organization of the lands design meaning theming.
Organization means how the theme is presented, and the theming set up that where Splash Mountain sits was to be the western United States.

Princess Kaylee

I just wanted to throw a poll out there to see what the general idea was. It is obvious that thematically the southern inspired ride like Splash Mountain is not the most appropriate fit for a land like Frontierland. Of course the ride is so popular the thematic break goes unnoticed by even the biggest of Disney fans. Yea the music was changed a little to fit a more western theme, but would a new theme be the better fit for Frontierland? For example would it be acceptable to maybe do a retheme with something along the lines of Western River Expedition? Change the scenes and ideas from years ago into something more modern, but keep the old track system?

Alter the outside of the mountain to fit the themeing of Thunder Mountain next door, and you have a pretty cool looking land. Anyhoo...was just curios...

It is a classic ride that so many people love :) Why should they be even be thinking of changing Splash Mountain when they should be getting rid of Stitches Great Escape!

hayzer11

Organization means how the theme is presented, and the theming set up that where Splash Mountain sits was to be the western United States.
If you are referring to the location of Splash Mountain, I really don't think fitting east to west was really a factor especially after Western River Expedition was passed on.

@lazyboy97o Where would you want Splash Mountain to be located?

lazyboy97o

If you are referring to the location of Splash Mountain, I really don't think fitting east to west was really a factor especially after Western River Expedition was passed on.

@lazyboy97o Where would you want Splash Mountain to be located?
The rest of Liberty Square and Frontierland still have the East to West design without Western River Expedition. It was in place first, it was just going to be continued by the Thunder Mess project.

I reject the notion that Splash Mountain must be placed anywhere.

Kate F

The rest of Liberty Square and Frontierland still have the East to West design without Western River Expedition. It was in place first, it was just going to be continued by the Thunder Mess project.

I reject the notion that Splash Mountain must be placed anywhere.
No offense, but you come across as kind of pretentious to me. I'm a huge Splash Mountain fan, so I may be a bit biased, but I will admit that I can sort of understand the notion that Splash Mountain does not belong where it sits. However, I really don't see any use complaining about its placement, as it is not going anyway anytime soon. It is one of, if not the most, impressively themed rides (and yes, I just know you are going to refute that, because you can't seem to look at the ride individually, without the context of the land and praise it on its own merits) in all of WDW and is a beloved classic. It is debatable to me whether it fits in Frontierland or not, but your attitude towards it, especially saying that you don't think it needs to be placed anywhere, comes across very distastfully to me. You are allowed to have your own opinion about the ride and its placement, but please get rid of the superiority complex.

lazyboy97o

No offense, but you come across as kind of pretentious to me. I'm a huge Splash Mountain fan, so I may be a bit biased, but I will admit that I can sort of understand the notion that Splash Mountain does not belong where it sits. However, I really don't see any use complaining about its placement, as it is not going anyway anytime soon. It is one of, if not the most, impressively themed rides (and yes, I just know you are going to refute that, because you can't seem to look at the ride individually, without the context of the land and praise it on its own merits) in all of WDW and is a beloved classic. It is debatable to me whether it fits in Frontierland or not, but your attitude towards it, especially saying that you don't think it needs to be placed anywhere, comes across very distastfully to me. You are allowed to have your own opinion about the ride and its placement, but please get rid of the superiority complex.
How is refusing to play into a loaded question pretentious? It has nothing to do with liking or disliking Splash Mountain as a stand alone attraction. The whole point of the question is for me to fuddle around and not be able to answer anyplace better than its current location. There is no reason that a different, Western attraction could not be as good or better than Splash Mountain.

Kate F

How is refusing to play into a loaded question pretentious? It has nothing to do with liking or disliking Splash Mountain as a stand alone attraction. The whole point of the question is for me to fuddle around and not be able to answer anyplace better than its current location. There is no reason that a different, Western attraction could not be as good or better than Splash Mountain.
I'm basing it off of all the posts you've made in this thread. It just comes off to me as if you think that anyone who is okay with Splash Mountain's placement and doesn't want it to be changed at all is foolish and doesn't actually care about themed entertainment. That may not be your intention, but that's how I have been perceiving it. I respect you for trying to stand up for your unpopular viewpoint, and I can also understand your reasonings behind said viewpoint. I just don't like that you act like everyone who doesn't have a problem with the attraction's placement is in the wrong.

midwest_mice

Splash has a good storyline going with reference to Song of the South. Now if they would just release the movie again on dvd/blu-ray, that would be great. I know there are race controversy issues, but it wouldn't be the only controversial film ever released.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom