Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

lazyboy97o

I'm basing it off of all the posts you've made in this thread. It just comes off to me as if you think that anyone who is okay with Splash Mountain's placement and doesn't want it to be changed at all is foolish and doesn't actually care about themed entertainment. That may not be your intention, but that's how I have been perceiving it. I respect you for trying to stand up for your unpopular viewpoint, and I can also understand your reasonings behind said viewpoint. I just don't like that you act like everyone who doesn't have a problem with the attraction's placement is in the wrong.
Is the area immediately around Splash Mountain western in theme? Yes.
Is Splash Mountain itself a western theme? No.
So yes, I don't mind saying it is wrong to claim that Splash Mountain fits its immediate surroundings (the western end of Frontierland) because that is a statement of fact that are even reflected in changes to the attraction. That is not a value judgement of the attraction itself or liking the attraction. Splash Mountain being an amazing attraction does not change that it is misplaced and there is nothing contradictory about both being true.

danyoung56

Is the area immediately around Splash Mountain western in theme? Yes.
Is Splash Mountain itself a western theme? No.

If I were to squint my eyes just right and stand on one leg, then yes, I could see that Splash isn't western themed. But it's a big ol' mountain, and has a log ride, and is filled with corny cartoon characters. So for me it fits in with the theme just fine.

When talking about something like theme, there is no fact - just opinion.

lazyboy97o

If I were to squint my eyes just right and stand on one leg, then yes, I could see that Splash isn't western themed. But it's a big ol' mountain, and has a log ride, and is filled with corny cartoon characters. So for me it fits in with the theme just fine.

When talking about something like theme, there is no fact - just opinion.
If there were no facts, then Ancient China could be part of the American Frontier. It isn't all opinion. Just because you don't know the reference doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

danyoung56

I repeat - when talking about something like theme, there is no fact, only opinion. OF COURSE some things are factual. The theme of Splash Mountain is not one of them.

Californian Elitist

I repeat - when talking about something like theme, there is no fact, only opinion. OF COURSE some things are factual. The theme of Splash Mountain is not one of them.

I'm a little confused by this statement. If something was themed to, let's say, 1940's noir, you're saying anything could could fit, according to what one perceives as fitting?

lazyboy97o

What things are factual? Why isn't Ancient China fitting for the American Frontier since neither can actually be part of a ride or land? By your logic argument is no such thing as theme.

danyoung56

I'm a little confused by this statement. If something was themed to, let's say, 1940's noir, you're saying anything could could fit, according to what one perceives as fitting?

No, what I'm saying is that, given the above example, something themed to 1940's noir could fit in with a 40's theme, or an American history theme, or a WWII theme. It's all how you look at it. To say that Splash doesn't have a western theme AND THAT'S A FACT is just silly.

lazyboy97o

No, what I'm saying is that, given the above example, something themed to 1940's noir could fit in with a 40's theme, or an American history theme, or a WWII theme. It's all how you look at it. To say that Splash doesn't have a western theme AND THAT'S A FACT is just silly.
How is Splash Mountain a western? Is Song of the South set in the West? Was Joel Chandler Harris from the West? Were the Brer Rabbit stories told by slaves in the West? Is red Georgia clay found in the West? The western elements of Splash Mountain such as Brer Rabbit's fur color, the more western soundtrack and other aesthetic elements are unique changes made to the Magic Kingdom attraction because it is not western.

danyoung56

By your logic argument is no such thing as theme.

That's not at all what I'm saying, and I think you know that. All I'm saying is to state that something is or isn't thematically fitting is much more a matter of opinion than one of fact. I'll give you an example. Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is part of the MK's Tomorrowland, right? Is it a fit with the theme? Well, it's about an open gate between worlds, so on that front it fits. But it's based on a cartoon franchise, and there's nothing particularly "tomorrow" about it. So on that front it doesn't fit. It's all how you look at it. And to grant your point, there are some things that don't belong together. If they were to put a Mission Space type ride in the middle of Fantasyland, I think everyone would agree that it wouldn't fit in any way. But there's a lot of grey area, and I really believe the theme of Splash falls into that grey area.

Californian Elitist

But Splash is based on Song of the South, the film taking place in post or pre-Civil War Georgia. Frontierland is themed to the "American Frontier," aka the time of Westward expansion, Western/wilderness folklore, etc. Based on that description, Splash factually does not fit the theme of Frontierland.

lazyboy97o

But Splash is based on Song of the South, the film taking place in post or pre-Civil War Georgia. Frontierland is themed to the "American Frontier," aka the time of Westward expansion, Western/wilderness folklore, etc. Based on that description, Splash factually does not fit the theme of Frontierland.
Frontierland is a very wide span of time at the Magic Kingdom. The attraction itself really does fit into the larger concept because Liberty Square - Frontierland (which I think should be viewed as a single land) covers the late 18th century through most of the 19th century. What causes the incongruity with Splash Mountain is that the land is laid out to sort of mimic American expansion; as one moves east to west in the land one is moving westward across America and forward through time.

Matt_Black

The rest of Liberty Square and Frontierland still have the East to West design without Western River Expedition.

No, at least Frontierland doesn't. Country Bears features characters from all over the South and the West, and again Tom Sawyer Island is right there at the back. You can not criticize Splash Mountain for going against organizational theme when that theme was never consistently implemented in the first place.

Donaldfan1934

I think it works because Splash Mountain has a "rustic feel". I like the location as is,Frontierland isn't nessecarily western or desert. It's more of a time period. If anything I would have Splash Mountain in Liberty Square.I was just in Disneyland and it was kind of a nuisance to ride big thunder then walk around the Rivers of America to Critter Country.
I thought it was a bit nicer when I went to be honest. At WDW, its 2 E-Tickets on top of each other and that creates a clog that doesn't exist in DL. Having a ride like Pooh in Critter Country creates a much better flow for that area.

Donaldfan1934

How is Splash Mountain a western? Is Song of the South set in the West? Was Joel Chandler Harris from the West? Were the Brer Rabbit stories told by slaves in the West? Is red Georgia clay found in the West? The western elements of Splash Mountain such as Brer Rabbit's fur color, the more western soundtrack and other aesthetic elements are unique changes made to the Magic Kingdom attraction because it is not western.
And therein lies the problem. Some of the forced aesthetic changes and ESPECIALLY the western soundtrack are all perceived downgrades from the DL version and they all happen to be based around reworking the ride into a new land. I stand by my opinion that all of the retheming changes were completely unecesary and could've been prevented if a Critter Country had been built. WDW's would probably be slightly ahead of DL for me due to positive changes like a slower ride vehicle that makes the story of the ride more coherent and better animatronic of Brer Rabbit (unecesary fur color change aside) and Brer Fox. But alas, poor changes were also made and that evens the score between them. It's still one of my, if not the, top favorite Disney attractions regardless.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

What do you mean?
I mean rebuild the attraction on an unclaimed part of the river as part of a new Critter Country. I know that its unlikely that they'll do this, but Disnsey has (Festival of the Lion King and Dumbo in Florida) and will continue to (Its a Small World in Tokyo) move attractions to more fitting and less intrusive locations. But in a scenario where Disney decided to do this, it would still cost them less than building a whole new ride since they would reuse the animatronics, props, ride vehicles, basic design and even infrastructure if possible.

Heffalump333

I mean rebuild the attraction on an unclaimed part of the river as part of a new Critter Country. I know that its unlikely that they'll do this, but Disnsey has (festival of the Lion King in Florida) and will continue to (Its a Small World in Tokyo) move attractions to more fitting and less intrusive locations.
Dude are you crazy this ride is a classic why move it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom