Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
lets not be stupid with the whole thing. I never said I wanted it to change just that it was out of theme with the progression from west to east. I wanted to see what people thought.

Also hypothetically speaking were talking a world where everything is perfect and things didn't need to be fixed everywhere.

EngineJoe

It is not in line with the east to west geographic progression of Liberty Square and Frontierland.

There is no east west progression.

Jungle Cruise = Africa, Asia
Tiki Room = Hawaii
Pirates of the Caribbean = New Orleans/Caribbean
Haunted Mansion = New Orleans/New York
Swiss Family Robinson Tree House = Indian Ocean

There is no need to accommodate your imaginary geographic rubric to exclude Splash Mountain.

lazyboy97o

Tiki Room = Hawaii

There is no need to accommodate your imaginary geographic rubric to exclude Splash Mountain.
Seeing as you think that Adventureland is in Frontierland, maybe you're not the most observant.

FigmentForver96

Original Poster

Tiki Room = Hawaii

Ok well ADVENTURELAND and disneyland put aside he is pointing out that yes the idea was guest would flow from frontierland(west) and gradually move east. (Liberty Square). Believe it or not imagineers in the day actually put much thought and detail into the design of the parks. There are tons of interviews with old imagineers who discussed passing under the train station as the darkness before a film and the posters were the credits. This is also why Thunder Mesa would have continued the theme if built.

I love splash mountain and do not want to see it go. My question was based on the idea if the ride could be replaced for a more western theme should it.

EngineJoe

Ok well ADVENTURELAND and disneyland put aside he is pointing out that yes the idea was guest would flow from frontierland(west) and gradually move east. (Liberty Square). Believe it or not imagineers in the day actually put much thought and detail into the design of the parks. There are tons of interviews with old imagineers who discussed passing under the train station as the darkness before a film and the posters were the credits. This is also why Thunder Mess would have continued to the them ring if built.

I love splash mountain and do not want to see it go. My question was based on the idea if the ride could be replaced for a more western theme should it.

Then replace Liberty Square. That's what the poll should be. That land is useless. There's only one ride, Haunted Mansion which really belongs to New Orleans anyway. Liberty Square is a big waste of space.

Move Hall of Presidents to the entrance of Main Street where it's supposed to be.

If you want to put a Western themed ride, demolish liberty square and put it there.

lazyboy97o

Then replace Liberty Square. That's what the poll should be. That land is useless. There's only one ride, Haunted Mansion which really belongs to New Orleans anyway. Liberty Square is a big waste of space.

Move Hall of Presidents to the entrance of Main Street where it's supposed to be.

If you want to put a Western themed ride, demolish liberty square and put it there.
Or maybe you could try to learn about the design intent instead of spouting off nonsense.

FigmentForver96

Original Poster

Liberty square also plays a role in the transition to Fantasyland representing the "New World" idea. The idea for a land is not jam packed with rides and the three it has are amazing in their own way and a quality that has never been matched by modern Disney. Once again the point isn't needing another western ride. The point was this...:theming is a big deal no matter how Disney treats it today as they obviously don't care. (Norway). Splash mountain was not the original plan for that spot Thunder Mesa was. That idea pushed the theming and detailed plans made for the park. Of course things change and Splash was tweaked to fit into Frontierland.

The park needed a big ride and with Anaheim and Tokyo getting new rides, of course Eisner was going to make it fit into Orlando. The difference is both other places had lands suitable for that specfic theme....Critter Country.

I have nothing against the ride, like I said I love the ride. The idea was that if Disney could somehow create something mind blowing and amazing to take its place then I'm for it. I want to see the careful detail that Disney once had no matter how small.

EngineJoe

Liberty square also plays a role in the transition to Fantasyland representing the "New World" idea. The idea for a land is not jam packed with rides and the three it has are amazing in their own way and a quality that has never been matched by modern Disney. Once again the point isn't needing another western ride. The point was this...:theming is a big deal no matter how Disney treats it today as they obviously don't care. (Norway). Splash mountain was not the original plan for that spot Thunder Mesa was. That idea pushed the theming and detailed plans made for the park. Of course things change and Splash was tweaked to fit into Frontierland.

The park needed a big ride and with Anaheim and Tokyo getting new rides, of course Eisner was going to make it fit into Orlando. The difference is both other places had lands suitable for that specfic theme....Critter Country.

I have nothing against the ride, like I said I love the ride. The idea was that if Disney could somehow create something mind blowing and amazing to take its place then I'm for it. I want to see the careful detail that Disney once had no matter how small.

That corner logically makes sense for Splash Mountain because anywhere else and then it obstructs Cinderella's castle, etc. They have it in the same place in at least 3 of the parks.

If it really bothered you that much I suppose they could just call Splash Mountain and Bear Country Jamboree the Critter Country. Would that be sufficient for you?

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
That corner logically makes sense for Splash Mountain because anywhere else and then it obstructs Cinderella's castle, etc. They have it in the same place in at least 3 of the parks.

If it really bothered you that much I suppose they could just call Splash Mountain and Bear Country Jamboree the Critter Country. Would that be sufficient for you?

3? Where is the third other park cause only two others have the ride. Unless Orlando is the third then ok I see.

There are other places they could have built the ride and a whole new land if they wishes. Somehow people forget the whole point of WDW was the blessing of size. They didn't do it for money reasons, it was cheaper to tweak the music and swap some show scenes then place it someplace thematically proper.

No I wouldn't want it called Critter Country to take over Frontierland. I want more care to be given to details. I love the ride and always will but I won't pretend like it is the most thematically proper place for the ride.

EngineJoe

3? Where is the third other park cause only two others have the ride. Unless Orlando is the third then ok I see.

There are other places they could have built the ride and a whole new land if they wishes. Somehow people forget the whole point of WDW was the blessing of size. They didn't do it for money reasons, it was cheaper to tweak the music and swap some show scenes then place it someplace thematically proper.

No I wouldn't want it called Critter Country to take over Frontierland. I want more care to be given to details. I love the ride and always will but I won't pretend like it is the most thematically proper place for the ride.

I think there's just something wrong with Magic Kingdom management sometimes. Getting rid of all the pizza for $9 flatbread cracker pizza. Or Poohs Honey Pot. They really skimp on the budget compared to the other parks.

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
I think there's just something wrong with Magic Kingdom management sometimes. Getting rid of all the pizza for $9 flatbread cracker pizza. Or Poohs Honey Pot. They really skimp on the budget compared to the other parks.
Eventually it has come to the point where details don't matter. Splash Mountain is a beloved attraction, but imagine if they had placed it in its proper land with other attractions and then a new ride to accompany Big Thunder! How awesome that could have been!!

EngineJoe

Eventually it has come to the point where details don't matter. Splash Mountain is a beloved attraction, but imagine if they had placed it in its proper land with other attractions and then a new ride to accompany Big Thunder! How awesome that could have been!!

Radiator springs? I guess that's kind of western. But they are too cheap to do even that.

daisyduckie

I don't think moving it would make it any more awesome. You are over-analyzing everything. If you want to find better details to nit-pick, there are many. As another poster pointed out, maybe they should replace the bathrooms with outhouses to be more in keeping of the theming. Get rid of those mickey ice cream bars too. Maybe cell phone coverage should be non existent to protect the integrity of the theming. :rolleyes:

It is a THEME PARK. Relax already.

Animaniac93-98

:confused:

There's not one suggestion in this post that makes sense.

lazyboy97o

I don't think moving it would make it any more awesome. You are over-analyzing everything. If you want to find better details to nit-pick, there are many. As another poster pointed out, maybe they should replace the bathrooms with outhouses to be more in keeping of the theming. Get rid of those mickey ice cream bars too. Maybe cell phone coverage should be non existent to protect the integrity of the theming. :rolleyes:

It is a THEME PARK. Relax already.
Yes, it is a THEME PARK and therefore THEME is of importance to the experience.

Animaniac93-98

lets not be stupid with the whole thing.

And yet many responses to what was really an innocuous hypothetical question on your part have either ignored the specifics of your post (never did you say demolish the ride completely, and you acknowledge the fact that most would not notice the thematic break) or just come across as whining.

Good job everybody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom