Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

Donaldfan1934

Dude are you crazy this ride is a classic why move it?
Yes, the ride is a classic and one of my all time favorites. I suggest that you read my previous posts in this thread. Basically, I think that they should've built a whole Critter Country beyond Big Thunder so that they wouldn't have had to change certain thematic elements and not create the byproduct that is the aweful congestion that often clogs up that area of the park to this day.

Donaldfan1934

I am extremely prejudiced here, as Splash Mountain is my hands down favorite attraction in all of Walt Disney World. It has a great story, tons of audioanimatronics, a number of false drops to create excitement, FANTASTIC MUSIC, and of course a great climax at the end. Here is a blog post I did on the history, backstory and review on Splash Mountain (It is a 2 parter).
That was an awesome blog post. You really know your stuff.

Donaldfan1934

The park needed a big ride and with Anaheim and Tokyo getting new rides, of course Eisner was going to make it fit into Orlando. The difference is both other places had lands suitable for that specfic theme....Critter Country.
Critter Country in Tokyo was built with Splash Mountain. There's no reason why it couldn't have been in Florida.

Donaldfan1934

I can think of five things off the top of my head that should happen over a re-theme without leaving one section of the park:
1. Nuke Move It! Shake It! from orbit
2. Add large trees back to the hub
3. Replace Dream Along With Mickey
4. Have the Main Street vehicles run all day
5. Dance on the grave of Move It! Shake It! with the vigor of the Haunted Mansion graveyard ghosts
Love this comment. I agree with all except for #3. Dream along with Mickey should be replaced with nothing and have a less obnoxious seasonal stage put in for seasonal use. If that were to happen, it would help give way to #4. Unfortunately, is being replaced with something now so we'll just have to go with it.

Donaldfan1934

Honestly, I'd rather see all of the historic Frontierland between Liberty Square and the bridge to Splash Mountain be rethemed to rustic postwar Georgia before I'd sacrifice Splash Mountain to save a couple shops and a restaurant. If they expand Frontierland, everything north of Splash, around Thunder and beyond, can go Frontier western.
This is also a good idea. As is any idea that keeps Splash, but puts it in a properly themed area.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain75

Love this comment. I agree with all except for #3. Dream along with Mickey should be replaced with nothing and have a less obnoxious seasonal stage put in for seasonal use. If that were to happen, it would help give way to #4. Unfortunately, is being replaced with something now so we'll just have to go with it.
Totally agree. I would absolutely rather have them just take the stage show and the stage altogether away. Really all I'm looking for is the hub equivalent of Disneyland: large trees and Main Street Vehicles that run most of the day.
image.jpeg

Donaldfan1934

Totally agree. I would absolutely rather have them just take the stage show and the stage altogether away. Really all I'm looking for is the hub equivalent of Disneyland: large trees and Main Street Vehicles that run most of the day. View attachment 131487
Exactly. If Disneyland doesn't need it, then why should WDW? That picture is beautiful on so many levels.

Nastory4

I have thought of Splash Mountain as one of the most whimsical and well-themed attractions since my first time through. I have no need or desire for things to be changed aside from perhaps the maintenance routine.
Can't believe I am agreeing with a Red Sox fan.........

pumpkin7

It would be nice if Disney would release Song of the South on DVD so that everyone knew where Brer Rabbit came from in the first place!
But no i don't think they should change it. Love Splash.

Splash has saved Frontierland. It is the only ride in the area based off a Disney film. If the ride was Western, you might as well forget Song Of The South's whole existence. 80% of guests that ride Splash Mountain have never even heard of the movie. Most of you know it was banned and was removed from releasing due to "racial controversy". If this movie was known for being racist by most, the ride wouldn't make it. You don't know how many people have no idea who these characters are. Many families at Disney World have never even seen a Disney movie. Disney World is targeted as a "theme park" in the South. People treat it as Six Flags. I've been to Six Flags and there is barely any theming by Warner Bros and Looney Tunes. When you go to Disney Parks, there is branding everywhere you look. Many people dislike this because it is advertising. I think it makes the experience extremely magical. If this ride was Western-themed, Frontierland would turn into a Cowboy/ Redneck hell. Be thankful for Walt Disney's brilliant theming for all years to come. Wow, I'm a Disney noob...

Bairstow

Splash has saved Frontierland. It is the only ride in the area based off a Disney film. If the ride was Western, you might as well forget Song Of The South's whole existence. 80% of guests that ride Splash Mountain have never even heard of the movie. Most of you know it was banned and was removed from releasing due to "racial controversy". If this movie was known for being racist by most, the ride wouldn't make it. You don't know how many people have no idea who these characters are. Many families at Disney World have never even seen a Disney movie. Disney World is targeted as a "theme park" in the South. People treat it as Six Flags. I've been to Six Flags and there is barely any theming by Warner Bros and Looney Tunes. When you go to Disney Parks, there is branding everywhere you look. Many people dislike this because it is advertising. I think it makes the experience extremely magical. If this ride was Western-themed, Frontierland would turn into a Cowboy/ Redneck hell. Be thankful for Walt Disney's brilliant theming for all years to come. Wow, I'm a Disney noob...

Irony?
http://www.dafe.org/articles/darkrides/okefenokee.html

lazyboy97o

What? Magic Kingdom was not designed as a movie ride park, so there only being one movie-based ride in a land is pointless. The content of Song of the South was changed to appear more Western. Frontierland was not just "Cowboy/ Redneck hell" before Splash Mountain, nor is it at any of the other Frontierlands that lack Splash Mountain. Lastly, Walt Disney was very much dead before design work on the Magic Kingdom ever started, and that was twenty years before Splash Mountain.

What? Magic Kingdom was not designed as a movie ride park, so there only being one movie-based ride in a land is pointless. The content of Song of the South was changed to appear more Western. Frontierland was not just "Cowboy/ Redneck hell" before Splash Mountain, nor is it at any of the other Frontierlands that lack Splash Mountain. Lastly, Walt Disney was very much dead before design work on the Magic Kingdom ever started, and that was twenty years before Splash Mountain.
I am sorry. By God, respect my opinion. I respect your's.

Donaldfan1934

Many families at Disney World have never even seen a Disney movie.
I can't envision this being that significant of an issue. I would think the number of people who have seen only a few Disney movies would vastly outnumber the amount of guest any single theme park Disney has had in their entire history. You'd be hard pressed to find a little girl who isn't/wasn't obsessed with Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom