Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

blueboxdoctor

Never in a million years. =) Plus, the Wild West was a very popular concept for Americans in the recent past. Shows like Davey Crockett really cemented the idea in our culture. Is it just me, or does the Wild West not have as much appeal to younger generations as it did to older generations? I don't see people yearning for more wild west concepts in Fronteirland as much as they just want new experiences in general. So, I guess I'm trying to say, why change a beloved ride in order to better fit a theme people seem less interested in? This is in no way meant to offend though who love the thrill of the Wild West, it just seems like a part of history that is no longer as loved as it once was...

Or rather it's not as romanticized as it was. But basically I agree, it's not really a relevant theme for movies/tv shows anymore. Sure, a few pop up here and there, but there nowhere near as popular as they once were. Right now the big things are super heroes, Star Wars again, and fantasy is pretty popular thanks to Lord of the Rings starting it off in the 2000s and Game of Thrones continuing it now. And out of all of those themes, none would do well for SM, so keep it as is.

lazyboy97o

I don't see any thematic problem at all. Frontierland doesn't need to be just the Wild West. A southern mountain populated by whimsical critters seems to fit in perfectly with the Frontierland concept.
Except that Frontier establishes a geographical and chronological narrative that dictates a western setting.

danyoung56

Perhaps your opinion requires sticking to such a strict interpretation of the theme. Mine (and judging by the poll the majority of folks here) does not. For me there is nothing in Frontierland that specifies Wild West only. It has to be somewhat rustic in nature, and Splash Mountain easily fits into that.

"Frontier" refers to a real thing... the "frontier line" which was used by the census bureau as a mark of America's line of settlement. So as we moved away from the original 13... west, north AND south the "frontier" expanded. So "Frontierland" can include the swamps of the south.

wdwfan4ver

Splash Mountain shouldn't be touched as a very popular and iconic attraction. Having more western a theme in that area would ruin Frontierland since the land has other southern attractions.

Getting a rid of all attractions that aren't considered western in this land would be a huge mistake due to a generation standpoint since they are not accustom to western themed stuff. The best way to put it is most of the westerns on television are from older generations that are accustom to stuff like Gunsmoke. My point being in Westerns are not made a lot into movies or tv shows in a long time.

If anything needs to be fixed in MK, Tomorrowland is the spot that needs to be fixed as a whole.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
splash was down and water shut off earlier today. i heard mumblings from security of more gators in the water.

1.jpg

Bairstow

Honestly, I'd rather see all of the historic Frontierland between Liberty Square and the bridge to Splash Mountain be rethemed to rustic postwar Georgia before I'd sacrifice Splash Mountain to save a couple shops and a restaurant. If they expand Frontierland, everything north of Splash, around Thunder and beyond, can go Frontier western.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom