Would you sacrafice Splash Mountain for a more western theme?

Change the theme of Splash Mountain

• Keep it as is

Votes: 277 93.9%
  • Change it to a western theme

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Change it to something else

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Splash Mountain is one of the best rides WDI has EVER designed, and it's one of MK's most popular and iconic rides. The ride is not, and should not, be going anywhere any time soon.

I used to not ride it a lot because I didn't want to get wet, and boy was I missing out. Splash is a treat that we all should savor.

lazyboy97o

Perhaps your opinion requires sticking to such a strict interpretation of the theme. Mine (and judging by the poll the majority of folks here) does not. For me there is nothing in Frontierland that specifies Wild West only. It has to be somewhat rustic in nature, and Splash Mountain easily fits into that.
Nobody is saying Frontierland should be Wild West only. Just the very specific spot where Splash Mountain is located was designed to be the west, so much so that two lands were designed around it being the west.

Honestly, I'd rather see all of the historic Frontierland between Liberty Square and the bridge to Splash Mountain be rethemed to rustic postwar Georgia before I'd sacrifice Splash Mountain to save a couple shops and a restaurant. If they expand Frontierland, everything north of Splash, around Thunder and beyond, can go Frontier western.
The sacrifice would be for something stronger than a few shops.

Nostalgia and classic experiences play such a heavy role in why so many people return to Disney time & time again. So yes, some things should remain sacred. Splash is one of them.
Nostalgia for the parks is nonsense that only begets self referential crap. The nostalgia that properly functions is the ideas and themes explored.

Matt_Black

Nobody is saying Frontierland should be Wild West only. Just the very specific spot where Splash Mountain is located was designed to be the west, so much so that two lands were designed around it being the west.
The sacrifice would be for something stronger than a few shops.

I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of park goers don't care.

Matt_Black

Good for them, what the vast majority of guests can articulate is a meaningless metric that also only promotes crap.

For the record, are you saying that you would gladly sacrifice one of the best developed and most beloved attractions in park history for the sake of a minor detail of a nearly five decade old design aesthetic that, as noted in other threads, wasn't even consistently implemented in the first place, and does not significantly impact guest experience in any appreciable way, shape or form whatsoever?

Retroman40

This is a great discussion since it shows that a lot people will not just call out attractions in need of some work but step up to defend the ones that are great - and make no mistake - Splash Mountain is a great attraction all around. An earlier post mentioned that if they did a list of 100 things to change/fix SM would be 101. I'll go a step further and say it simply wouldn't make my list!

I remember right after it opened that my son was too short to ride and was issued a "Head of the Line" certificate for when he reached the proper height. He has that framed now (he grew to 5-11 so height isn't an issue any more). I asked a CM if they'd accept the certificate and after saying yes they of course told me politely my boy would be crazy to use it and of course I assured them it wouldn't be coming out of the frame anytime soon.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
One of the best and most popular flume rides both in the resort and across the world.. Literally. I haven't ever experienced a better theme flume ride anywhere. So why try to "fix" it?

Brer Panther

My favorite part of Splash Mountain is the Brer Rabbit story, so I vote to keep it as is.

Would I like to see Western River Expedition? Sure. But it shouldn't replace Splash Mountain.

lazyboy97o

For the record, are you saying that you would gladly sacrifice one of the best developed and most beloved attractions in park history for the sake of a minor detail of a nearly five decade old design aesthetic that, as noted in other threads, wasn't even consistently implemented in the first place, and does not significantly impact guest experience in any appreciable way, shape or form whatsoever?
The organization and experiential narrative of two lands that combine to occupy a significant percentage of the park is not a minor detail.

Matt_Black

The organization and experiential narrative of two lands that combine to occupy a significant percentage of the park is not a minor detail.

Look, if people don't notice it until it's specifically pointed out to them and then most will probably go, "Huh, I guess that's neat", then yes, it's minor. AND that doesn't take into account the incongruities in the set-up prior to Splash Mountain (Diamond Horseshoe, Country Bears, Tom Sawyer Island, etc.).

Seabasealpha1

Haven't enough classics been tampered with enough? lol just kidding...

Eh...leave as is...if they need more western themed stuff they should just add on to the land...

Good question though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom