Worst people to be in line next to?

PolynesianPrincess

We were in line for PPF at Disneyland in April and near us in line was a very LOUD woman who was making her opinion well known about how she felt about people being on their cell phones in line. She made comments when people passed like "people are too stupid to be able to amuse themselves in line and they need their phones" and "I don't understand why 10 year olds need iPhones. Oh, wait, yes I understand why. It's because they aren't able to entertain themselves without the help of technology" Just to be a smart alec, I took my phone out when we passed by her and received a snarky look from her. Although, she DOES have a point, it seems like people these days can't get off their phones long enough to take in whats around them. When I was younger, we didn't have those kind of things to keep us entertained while waiting in line. These days, kids can't do without iPads and smart phones. It's actually really sad. When I took my 15 year old cousin last year for the first time I actually had to take her phone from her because she wouldn't stay off it. But I digress.... loud, overly opinionated people in line = no bueno!

SagamoreBeach

We were in line for PPF at Disneyland in April and near us in line was a very LOUD woman who was making her opinion well known about how she felt about people being on their cell phones in line. She made comments when people passed like "people are too stupid to be able to amuse themselves in line and they need their phones" and "I don't understand why 10 year olds need iPhones. Oh, wait, yes I understand why. It's because they aren't able to entertain themselves without the help of technology" Just to be a smart alec, I took my phone out when we passed by her and received a snarky look from her. Although, she DOES have a point, it seems like people these days can't get off their phones long enough to take in whats around them. When I was younger, we didn't have those kind of things to keep us entertained while waiting in line. These days, kids can't do without iPads and smart phones. It's actually really sad. When I took my 15 year old cousin last year for the first time I actually had to take her phone from her because she wouldn't stay off it. But I digress.... loud, overly opinionated people in line = no bueno!

About 5 years ago. I was visiting family on the island of Faial. While driving around the island I was taken in with the beauty and the old world charm, when I noticed a young woman walking on the sidewalk with her face plastered to her cell phone. She wasn't watching where she was walking and walked right into a utility pole. I laughed so hard that I nearly lost my breath not to mention control of the car. About 15 minutes later I see a gentleman riding on his donkey with two milk cans on either side...I said...Ahhh...back to the old world charm. The very next day I see the same man on his donkey...taking on his cell phone. It cannot be escaped!!!

DfromATX

I would sometimes love to shock my child when they are acting up even though I can't...

You can't? What do you do when they act up? Smile politely and say "no no little Timmy?" I've never had to "swat" my kids at Disney World, but I'm not sure what you mean by you'd like to shock your child, so I am curious. And who's culture are you referring to that thinks it's ok to hit someone smaller?

Mr Anderson

You can't? What do you do when they act up? Smile politely and say "no no little Timmy?" I've never had to "swat" my kids at Disney World, but I'm not sure what you mean by you'd like to shock your child, so I am curious. And who's culture are you referring to that thinks it's ok to hit someone smaller?
I'm also curious what she means by "no one wants to see you hit someone smaller than you just because you can". Like people that spank their kids do it just because they're smaller than they are or because they are able to? Let's see what she has to say...

DfromATX

I'm also curious what she means by "no one wants to see you hit someone smaller than you just because you can". Like people that spank their kids do it just because they're smaller than they are or because they are able to? Let's see what she has to say...

It kind of made me wonder if she thinks Americans beat their children in line or something. o_O

Mr Anderson

It kind of made me wonder if she thinks Americans beat their children in line or something. o_O
That's how I read it, and furthermore... that we bully our own children. o_O
c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

DfromATX

That's how I read it, and furthermore... that we bully our own children. o_O

I certainly don't... all I have to do is say "That's It! I'm getting the belt!" and the offensive action stops! LOL Just kidding....sort of...

Seriously though, of course no one should be hitting children "just because they can" and if my kids deserved a scolding or whatever I would march them right out of the line. Praise in public, chastise in private... I took offense at her "culture" remark, like it's something in the American culture to beat our children. Perhaps she didn't mean it that way, but that's how it came across to me.

IWantMyMagicBand

Parents punishing their children in line. Take them out, no one wants to see you hit someone smaller than you just because you can. I get we are in a different country and respect all cultures that I am standing in line with but where we are from we have child protection charities go into our schools to tell children hitting is bad and bullying. I appreciate the point of view of a swift swat, and I would sometimes love to shock my child when they are acting up even though I can't because I don't want them knowing hitting is ok, but nobody wants to see you hit your child, especially my children.
Fixed it.
We take away privileges, act up in line and they don't get to go on that ride nor the next. I have seen parents swat/shock their kids in line, not just at WDW, and then had to ride near a dribbling mess of a child because they hurt. No one in the world should inflict that much harm on someone smaller.

There have been many posts on this board about physically punishing children, it's not just Americans. And yes, I am aware it also happens in mine and other countries.

And I truly truly believe:
seuss2.jpg

ninjaprincesst

There have been recent studies on early childhood memories that suggest that the way humans form lasting memories changes over the first years of their lives. When you are a baby you remember almost completely in sensations. Feelings, sounds, textures. Those memories don’t last. Over time you learn to remember based on story. “That time I was on vacation with Mom and that giant orange tigger came up to me”

The more the circumstances around early memory create a plot for the brain to follow, the more likely you are to retain it. And over time those memories override the less stable type in your brain. So, my theory is that Disney World memories are more likely to be retained by a child later in life than other memories because of the inherent story-filled circumstances that an event like going to Disney World creates.

As for the other part. Remember, every child will act out due to fatigue and exhaustion. That learning to act right part you mention is an ongoing process. If you need to judge, don’t judge based on the bratty behavior, judge based on the parental response. It’s possible, it’s a new or ongoing lesson for the child to learn. It’s possible this is their first time dealing with that level of overstimulation. Or its possible behavioral issues are more engrained and harder to educate out of them.

Now if parents are encouraging that sort of behavior, that is where I would have a problem.
That is my point if they are taught from day one you do not act out from being tired or cranky ,they won't. I didn't my daughter didn't and no one was mean to us either, to be honest I have never spanked my daughter in her life, I have not had to, my mother never spanked me, she did not have to, we just knew early on that acting out would not be tolerated and never did it. I however agree it is the parents not the kid. Behavior expectations and their punishment is on the parent ,not the kid, I understand how getting on to your child could really put a damper on your trip, but sometimes it's just necessary. I guess Im just fortunate that my daughter and all my nieces just seemed to get what was expected of them behavior wise and never pushed it. It just seems odd to me there are a whole lot more kids that act out these days than when I was a kid.

ninjaprincesst

I have never hit my daughter in 15 years, there is more to discipline than hitting. I think there are very few people who think hitting a child is ok in the USA,so not sure where that's coming from

Last edited:

Gomer

That is my point if they are taught from day one you do not act out from being tired or cranky ,they won't. I didn't my daughter didn't and no one was mean to us either, to be honest I have never spanked my daughter in her life, I have not had to, my mother never spanked me, she did not have to, we just knew early on that acting out would not be tolerated and never did it. I however agree it is the parents not the kid. Behavior expectations and their punishment is on the parent ,not the kid, I understand how getting on to your child could really put a damper on your trip, but sometimes it's just necessary. I guess Im just fortunate that my daughter and all my nieces just seemed to get what was expected of them behavior wise and never pushed it. It just seems odd to me there are a whole lot more kids that act out these days than when I was a kid.
I agree with what you are saying, but kids are people with personalities. For an infinite number of reasons, kids will learn these lessons at different speeds. I was a very reserved and well behaved child. My sister was a temper tantrum machine. My parents didn’t do anything different. It just took her longer to develop recognition for proper behavior in these situations.

All my point is, is that you never know the child or where they are. I have a 10 year old with autism. He still has tantrums occasionally when he gets overstimulated or exhausted. This is obviously an outlier for most children, but for me its still an ongoing process to teach him how to react when things don’t go his way. Other children for a variety of reasons will fall in-between your experience of children getting it easily, and mine of “still working on it” for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons are poor parenting. But, some are just speed of emotional and behavioral development. So, in some cases it’s a matter of them not being taught. In others, the teaching has been ongoing since day 1 and hasn’t yet clicked.

I’ll save my theories for why behavior problems are increasing for another time as I don’t want to be responsible for diverting this thread further off topic than it already is. :)

Thumper14

We were heading to the back of MK for a late EMH as most of the crowd was heading for the exit after the fireworks. A very cranky woman behind us suddenly yelled out-"I hate all of these damn strollers and damn screaming kids!" My 20 something son yelled back, "Reality check, you're at Disneyworld!" the crowd applauded.

danpam1024

We were in line behind an OBNOXIOUS Dad. The mother wasn't talking to him, the kids were over it, etc... Well it just so happens one of his kids was named Cooper- as is one of mine. He kept trying to force "Cooper" to eat popcorn, that the kid CLEARLY didn't want. So for about 5 minutes he was constantly saying "Cooper, eat some popcorn". I am one to always... um...voice my opinion, but when I'm on vacation, I try to chill. So my kids are getting impatient with me NOT saying anything. Finally my oldest (18 at the time) says "mom, are you going to take care of this?" Permission granted. "Excuse me sir, but Cooper doesn't want ANY FREAKING POPCORN!" He finally shut up, the kid stopped whining and the mother thanked me :cool: We still tease my Cooper to this day whenever there's popcorn around:p

I also am a big hater of people and their GIANT Ipads blocking up everyone's view and the backpacks- what the heck is in there???? All my crap fits in my pocket and I'm a chick and a mom!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom