Worst people to be in line next to?

G00fyDad

How about the people in line that talk loudly about everything Disney so everyone in earshot will be impressed. What's worse are the ones who are wrong about most of the things they say.

DisneyJunkie

1. Foul-smelling people who either don't use deodorant or whose deodorant failed them badly.
2. Obnoxiously loud people trying to draw attention to themselves.
3. People who think they're WDW experts and actually don't know what they're talking about.
4. Parents who have screaming, tantrum-throwing children they won't discipline or just ignore.
5. People with huge, over-stuffed backpacks they carry through the park with them.
6. Idiot young people (or older ones too) using profanity or just filthy talk.
7. People not dressed for the heat (long or tight jeans or long sleeves, etc). Almost makes me sweat more seeing them.

graphite1326

The parents of pre schoolers who say they are going to Disney for the children. But, when they are there and their three or four year old has reached his or her limit and is cranky, tired, and/or crying, threatens or punishes the child for his or her behavior rather than removing the child from the line for some cuddling or downtime. The parent obviously feels standing in line for the attraction they wanted to go on or see is more important than their upset child.

Remember, these are very young children who have probably had just about all the stimulation and activity they can handle. Children cry for a reason. Threats or punishment may shut them up because it causes fear. In the long run,that is not a particularly good solution.

Grade school children who can handle their emotions somewhat better, have more stamina and should know acceptable behavior are a different story. However, if they are acting up, they should still be removed from the line.
I could never figure out why people take such young children anyway. They aren't going to remember and it usually ends up being miserable for the parents and the child. I just don't see why anyone would want to push a stroller around. I waited until my youngest was 6 and that was the limit.

My parents took me to NY (1964 worlds fair) when I was 7. I remember a few things but not a lot. I asked my children who are now in their 20's if they remember much of WDW when they were young and they say no, not much at all.

Launchpad McQuack

6. Idiot young people (or older ones too) using profanity or just filthy talk.

I'll never forget one trip my family took when I was 19. We were on Tower of Terror, and there were some guys who looked like your typical "bro dudes," probably all in their mid-late 20s, all fairly big guys. During the drops, they just started shouting F- and S-words like they just couldn't control themselves, and before anyone else could say anything, my brother's friend (who was a fairly small 17 year old) just points at them and starts yelling "hey! This is a family place! You watch your mouth!" and the guys just like hung their heads in shame while everyone else was trying to fight back laughter.

TaraWdopeyfan

I've taken my 3 children starting in 2011 and the youngest was a baby. It's not so much that the kids will remember but more for the parents to make memories they can share with the child when they are older. And with todays technology you can take videos to show them when they are older.

And for folks I don't like being around in line - Are rude people who think the world revolves around them.

Mr Anderson

I could never figure out why people take such young children anyway. They aren't going to remember and it usually ends up being miserable for the parents and the child. I just don't see why anyone would want to push a stroller around. I waited until my youngest was 6 and that was the limit.

My parents took me to NY (1964 worlds fair) when I was 7. I remember a few things but not a lot. I asked my children who are now in their 20's if they remember much of WDW when they were young and they say no, not much at all.
Agreed. Heck, the memories I have from my family's trip to WDW when I was 12 are super vague at this point. But any younger than 6 is too young, IMHO. Being in line next to whiny and/or bratty kids is the WORRRRST.

jaklgreen

And that is why I recommend to anyone that will listen to not bring kids there until they are at least 6 years old. Infants, it doesn't matter, they sleep when they feel like it. They get fussy sometimes, depending on the child, when the routine is disrupted. It's the age between infant and 6 that I think will be the area with the most problems. There are always exceptions, because you know that someone is going to attempt to tell me that I am wrong about this, but, if you want melt downs, that is the primary age to have it happen, in my opinion.

Not necessarily, but, it is something that can be pleasant or retchingly bad.:joyfull:
The odds are that retching will be the most likely though.

With us the kids were much better when they were under 5 and in the stroller. They were able to rest in the stroller instead of walk and were much happier. We take is slow and usually sleep in at WDW but those younger years between 5-10 where tougher with our kids since they were walking more. And by then knew what they wanted to do so were more apt to complain then when they were younger and we just pushed them around. I tell people not too wait till the kids are older. There is nothing like seeing your little ones face when they still actually believe all of it is real. Of course parents should still know the limits of their kids and not take a commando style no matter what age.

Goofyernmost

With us the kids were much better when they were under 5 and in the stroller. They were able to rest in the stroller instead of walk and were much happier. We take is slow and usually sleep in at WDW but those younger years between 5-10 where tougher with our kids since they were walking more. And by then knew what they wanted to do so were more apt to complain then when they were younger and we just pushed them around. I tell people not too wait till the kids are older. There is nothing like seeing your little ones face when they still actually believe all of it is real. Of course parents should still know the limits of their kids and not take a commando style no matter what age.
I think that is the primary difference. I do know that as far as nagging to ride something, wanting to go to the pool, feet hurt, I'm tired, the younger ones in the stroller are less general frustration. However, I am selfish. I didn't go to WDW just for the kids or to see their reaction to bright lights and noise. I went because I loved going to the stuff myself. I loved going as a family that could experience just about everything on somewhat the same level. I didn't want to sit something out while my wife rode and then have her sit it out while I did.

I didn't take them there at all between birth and 6 years old, so I cannot totally relate to what you are saying, however, I do know that a young child is not reacting to the substance of what they are seeing it is to the stimuli of what they are seeing. That's OK. And if someone wants to go there for that purpose, that's fine. Personally, I loved that it never crossed my mind to get or bring a stroller. We walked together, sat when tired and rode things as a unit. That was my joy.

So when I say that I wouldn't have brought a child that young it isn't a put down of those that do. It's just my feelings about it and why. No one has to buy into it. However, maybe some haven't thought about the pluses or the minus's and it is a good thing, I think, for other outlooks and other reasons to enter into the discussion.

ninjaprincesst

Agreed. Heck, the memories I have from my family's trip to WDW when I was 12 are super vague at this point. But any younger than 6 is too young, IMHO. Being in line next to whiny and/or bratty kids is the WORRRRST.
My daughter has been going since she was 3, and yes at 15 she can still remember specific things that happened on trips when she was 3 and 4 (like bouncing with Tigger) ,that being said she was never a whiny crying brat in line, people use tired and over stimulated as excuses for bad behavior, but if a child is raised right they know how to act in public, tired or not,and we did not sleep in or take it easy, she just knew what was expected of her and did not act like a brat no matter how tired she was.

G00fyDad

My daughter has been going since she was 3, and yes at 15 she can still remember specific things that happened on trips when she was 3 and 4 (like bouncing with Tigger) ,that being said she was never a whiny crying brat in line, people use tired and over stimulated as excuses for bad behavior, but if a child is raised right they know how to act in public, tired or not,and we did not sleep in or take it easy, she just knew what was expected of her and did not act like a brat no matter how tired she was.

My children were always well behaved as well. That said, they did get tired and there was some complaining. When that happened we stopped and let them rest. Usually somewhere inside where it was cooled off from the heat. Many of the "whiny and/or bratty kids" are that way because the parents expect too much from the children and do not allow the little ones adequate time to rest. I'm a little concerned at how you describe your trips. The line "we did not sleep in or take it easy, she just knew what was expected of her and did not act like a brat no matter how tired she was" sounds like she was too afraid to let you know she was tired.

graphite1326

My children were always well behaved as well. That said, they did get tired and there was some complaining. When that happened we stopped and let them rest. Usually somewhere inside where it was cooled off from the heat. Many of the "whiny and/or bratty kids" are that way because the parents expect too much from the children and do not allow the little ones adequate time to rest. I'm a little concerned at how you describe your trips. The line "we did not sleep in or take it easy, she just knew what was expected of her and did not act like a brat no matter how tired she was" sounds like she was too afraid to let you know she was tired.
My kids never complained either and we just kept going. I'm pretty sure they weren't afraid or anything. Of course I am not an expert like you.

ninjaprincesst

No, she could simply say if she was tired, there was no whining crying and throwing fits, kids can get tired, that is not my point, the point is being tired is not an excuse for bad behavior, all she had to do is say something and we could stop and get a drink or snack or whatever and rest a minute.

G00fyDad

No, she could simply say if she was tired, there was no whining crying and throwing fits, kids can get tired, that is not my point, the point is being tired is not an excuse for bad behavior, all she had to do is say something and we could stop and get a drink or snack or whatever and rest a minute.

I see. That's just not the way it sounded in the previous post.

Gomer

There have been recent studies on early childhood memories that suggest that the way humans form lasting memories changes over the first years of their lives. When you are a baby you remember almost completely in sensations. Feelings, sounds, textures. Those memories don’t last. Over time you learn to remember based on story. “That time I was on vacation with Mom and that giant orange tigger came up to me”

The more the circumstances around early memory create a plot for the brain to follow, the more likely you are to retain it. And over time those memories override the less stable type in your brain. So, my theory is that Disney World memories are more likely to be retained by a child later in life than other memories because of the inherent story-filled circumstances that an event like going to Disney World creates.

As for the other part. Remember, every child will act out due to fatigue and exhaustion. That learning to act right part you mention is an ongoing process. If you need to judge, don’t judge based on the bratty behavior, judge based on the parental response. It’s possible, it’s a new or ongoing lesson for the child to learn. It’s possible this is their first time dealing with that level of overstimulation. Or its possible behavioral issues are more engrained and harder to educate out of them.

Now if parents are encouraging that sort of behavior, that is where I would have a problem.

Roakor

Evil parents, that do not plan well for their vacations and take it out on their kids.. That and obnoxious parents that also did not plan well and arrive at the parade with their strollers and Expect me to scoot over and back so their kids can see... P.S.... No. Plan better. ;) My family waited patiently for a reason.

We had a latino family try this at the halloween parade last year. We had been sitting on the curb in front of the castle for almost 2 hours. It was our last day and we planned ahead to do this to have a good seat. Had a nice conversation with an elderly gentlemen in a wheel chair next to us. About 15 min before the parade this mom started pushing her kids up to the front and tried to push them in front of us. We told her no that we had been waiting her for the parade. She just ignored us pretending not to speak english. thats when the elderly gentlemen told her "You know damn well what the hell they are saying now move back and stop trying to push in front" and they did with out another word.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom